engine swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
87wagoneeer

1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

engine swap

helo I am putting a 5.7 hemi engine into my jeep out of a 2003 dodge ram 1500 trying to do it as cheaply as possible. it has no wires in it currently all ripped out whole jeep is stripped down to a roller any tips or advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My usual advice is to get the entire donor wiring harness and modules and splice it in to the Jeep one, it is only a few wires to mate up and the engine will believe it was still in its old truck.

However, you have taken out the wiring? Is this all of it, including the dash?

There are three sections to the original harness, engine bay, dash and frame. The harder one to replace is the dash but you can get a replacement harness from someone like Painless and then wire it all together.

Painless make a generic GM pickup harness for about $300 that would connect to the steering column and dimmer switch etc and be converted to connect to the donor harness.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
87wagoneeer

1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

The wiring for the interior is still in the jeep but all the wiring in engine bay is gone because it had been chewed up by mice from sitting. I don't have the wiring harness from the donor because it is my buddies engine that I am getting and he got a 6.1 for his truck and is keeping the harness for his engine swap

post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Mice? Not good but thankfully if it is only engine bay it does not stop you from linking the dash wiring to the engine, you will need ground, power in run, power in start in order to get the engine running, all of which you can find either at the firewall or at the ignition switch. The instruments will be a bit more tricky as they will require some thinking about sensors, being analogue.

However you will need an engine harness if you are going to get that hemi wired up.

Has he given you the engine ancillaries such as alternator, starter motor, modules etc? What are you doing for a transmission?

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
87wagoneeer

1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

He is giving me engine and transmission as well sense he got another one. I believe he is giving me the other parts if not I will have to either order them or just go to the junkyard and find a third gen to pull them out of
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds good. Plenty of room in there for the V8 but which trans is it? are you going to have to cut the transmission tunnel? Is there an adapter from trans to transfer case? Where is the computer picking up its vehicle speed data?

If you have an auto then it is easiest to install the complete package including sensors, modules and wiring from the donor (or one just like it) as it will believe it is still in the old truck.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in