1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepdaddy2000

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2021, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
JR009579
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Aftermarket wiring harness for SJ

Have a J10 with some electrical issues. Any ideas on who makes a good wiring harness, what im going to be looking at paying, and what difficulties i may have installing it. Every website just has universal wiring harnesses and I dont think im really skilled enough to do one of those.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2021, 03:11 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

If BJ Off road does not have it, chances are there is no manufacturer out there who has spent the time and energy putting one together.

Once you have the wiring diagram and the physical distances and locations you can sketch it up on a long piece of paper with exact location of each connector. Then pull each wire colour and size and crimp into the connectors. wrap up the harness, label it where needed and voila!!

It is even easier with an old harness, they can pin it up on the paper and mark out where everything went from the factory.

That is what a good vehicle electrician will do to build a new wiring loom. If any of the dimensions are uncertain they will leave the connectors off and site snip and crimp into place.

You yourself will not have the range of wire colours and sizes in your garage, so it needs a pro.

I would have budgeted around a thousand bucks for a wire harness from scratch, maybe 800 if just copying a harness you already got. It i sthe man hours you see.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2021, 11:43 PM
mtnmax
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Do a search for 'Z&M Jeep'. I know they have a harness for a FSJ Cherokee, I'm sure the J10 harness is the same or very similar. Cost is about $1200, but from what I've read the quality is top notch.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-13-2021, 06:37 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR009579 View Post
Have a J10 with some electrical issues. Any ideas on who makes a good wiring harness, what im going to be looking at paying, and what difficulties i may have installing it. Every website just has universal wiring harnesses and I dont think im really skilled enough to do one of those.
My question is:
What electrical issues do you have?
Are they related to to the loom?
Is the stock loom in good condition?

Not saying this happened, but sometimes folks get frustrated with "things" not working and decide that a do over is in order. Many times, especially with rigs that are enclosed, the looms have minimal issues and can be salvaged, or need minor upgrading, such as with the fuse box, that can be done without a complete rewiring.
CSP likes this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2021, 06:28 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

My J20 wiring had been dealt with by a number of PO, nothing worked properly, odd switches on the dash. i had a go myself but gave up, it was a nightmare.

Whilst I was away the truck went to a new mechanic for a few issues, when I came home his electrician had reinstated a lot of the switches and got a lot of it working. Cost over $50 in labour, but heck that was so much better than i could have done it. I was caught out in rain and suddenly discovered the wipers worked, never seen them do that before.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #6 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 08:40 PM
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Ron Francis wiring built a complete bumper to bumper harness for my 75 J-10. Very reasonable, under $500.00 . They built it to exact specs as to what and how I built my Jeep. Look them up on-line and see what you think. Great tech support and "as long as you own it warranty",

Why me, Why me !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in