65 Wagoneer questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2021, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
loki993

65 Wagoneer questions

Ive only been seriously entertaining the idea of getting a FSJ for a few days now, however they are always something I have looked at casually on and off, so Im not totally a noob when it comes to them...just slightly lol. I especially like the old Kaisers from 63 to 65 and it just so happens one popped up on Facebook somewhat locally to me, which is both good and bad....Im in Michigan.

Good its relatively close and I can actually go look at it, bad is that it could be a Michigan truck and if it is its going to have rust and possibly/probably lots of it...now if it does I'm out, especially at the price they are asking, but there are some indicators that it may not be originally from here. From the pictures I see the rust is minimal considering the age of the truck. Its mostly localized the the rear quarter are and some on the tailgate. The undersides of both rear quarter are pretty chewed up and would likely need to be cut off and replaced. The paint on both lower quarter areas looks like its been sanded a bit so either someone may have started to go looking for rust or its bondo, who knows right? There is also some rust, that they're willing to show, on the rear door sill area right behind the sill but it doesn't look terrible, its just a picture though so who really knows. I have requested some pics of the frame and undercarriage so if its a real Michigan truck that should tell me.

Also though it looks like someone at least started a restoration on it...the seats and door panels are all redone in leather, its got new carpet in it and the rest of the interior, being from 1965 at least, looks to be in really good shape. It also has what looks to be brand new or, at least newly painted, wheels and new tires. The rest

Claims everything works well including the 4x4 and its got a strong 327 Vigilante in it. Claims its very very rare...this is where I need help because I have no idea what's really rare and what isn't with these things.

They also want 12k which for a running example of that year that is drivable and somewhat clean I'm not sure is a terrible price, but also open to suggestion on that too.

I mean it looks like its from 1965 and its been used, a little old and tired but old and tired in a way where you maybe clean up the rust, fix a few minor things, put a fresh coat of paint on it ands its great.

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2021, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
loki993

Well I got pics of the frame and it actually looks really good. He says it's a Michigan truck which is a bit shocking. The thing must have been sitting in someones garage or barn for the past 30 years or something because there is no way it's been in the Michigan winters much with how little rust there seems to be.

So I'm going to look at it on Sunday.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2021, 11:02 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Claims everything works well including the 4x4 and its got a strong 327 Vigilante in it. Claims its very very rare...this is where I need help because I have no idea what's really rare and what isn't with these things.
Rambler motors were offered for two years. The 232 six and the 327 V8. The V8 was a popular option. The engine isn't any rarer than the rig itself.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2021, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
loki993

Does the price seem reasonable for one of that age? condition wise its ok, it probably needs new quarters, but the rest appears to be relatively rust free, including as I said a frame that has amazingly little rust for living its life in Michigan. Needs paint and probably the bumpers rechromed or painted depending on what I decided to do with them.

Part of the reason I ask in there are also 2 86s near me that I want to look at, both are southern trucks that they claim have little to no rust. Same deals though that have faded paint and both of the interiors definitely need work and Im sure some other things but probably not a ton to get them to relatively reliable driver status and they are about half the price of the 65. Now I think the 65 is cooler but something that's way cheaper and potentially nearly completely rust free is enticing.

Last edited by loki993; 09-12-2021 at 07:17 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-11-2021, 08:49 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The questions are:
What are comparable rigs going for in your area.
How bad do you want it.
What is your skill set.
What is your time frame.
How much are you willing to spend.

Other options are to look at west coast rigs.
Here are a couple of Craigslist pages from around my area.
https://spokane.craigslist.org/d/car...query=wagoneer
https://portland.craigslist.org/sear...query=wagoneer
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/s...query=wagoneer
You could purchase one, fly/drive to it, then drive/trailer it home.

Chesty Puller
post #6 of 8 Old 09-12-2021, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
loki993

I just started looking but there is a range of prices from cheap garbage to outrageously priced stuff that is restored. I haven't seen many that old, in that bodystyle so its hard to compare, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable price to me.

I looked at it and its probably as good as the pics make it look. Its basically a bard find, spent most of its time just sitting on the farm or in the barn. Paint is very faded, so its probably been outside a lot, body has a little rust but its all easily fixable. Frame has 50ish years of patina and surface rust, but its solid. Floorpans look great and have no rust. I lifted up the back seat and underneath was clean and the original paint was still there. Some of the chrome has a little pitting but nothing bad. Trim pieces are all there but some are pretty badly pitting, but for the year considering most of that is probably made out of pot metal or something not surprising. The parts of the interiors that weren't redone are great, dash has a little patina on it but if nothing else it adds a bit of character, its even still got the original headliner in it.

Really all it needs is a good once over on everything, replace all the soft stuff, door seals, anything rubber. Maintenance stuff like diff oil, bearing grease, seals in the engine and trans. Run a buffer over it with some compound to see how much shine can be brought back from that faded paint and call it a day.

Skillset? Im pretty handy with a wrench, I can handle most basic mechanical things that dont require a ton of special tools. Never rebuilt an engine or trans. Body work though no so much, also haven't really done a ton if welding outside of a shop class 30 years ago. I have all the time I need.

Honestly my plan for this whole thing was a full restomod sort of thing, try to turn one into a daily driver...newer LS drivetrain, a warm 5.3 maybe, 4l60 or 80 tcase all if it. Maybe redo the interior to something a bit more modern with bucket seats and all that. This isn't the truck for that..its too original and it can be brought back to being really nice and original pretty easily with a little work. So the question is now do I want to spend that much money on something thats now basically just a hobby car. I dont know, but its very tempting because I am very curious as to how good I can really get it looking without messing with the original paint and it is really cool.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-13-2021, 07:02 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Don't forget, these rigs were daily drivers when they were new. While lacking AC and probably some other amenities, in solid shape, it should serve well as a DD or grocery getter.
I had a 71 for years and toted the family around in it all over the place. It had a V8 (Buick), AT, PS, PB, but really nothing else. It was our second car and we used it for everything not covered by our primary econobox.

Chesty Puller
post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
loki993

I understand that and Im sure after going through the thing and doing a bit of maintenance on things that likely haven't been touched for the better part of 40 or so years it would likely drive anywhere. It would do just fine putting around town or getting groceries, but what I am sure are single digit fuel mileage numbers, even not towing a trailer, its not going to be the thing we choose to hook the camper up to and drive up north in most times. But its just so darn unique and honestly with a little work it would be a really neat rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in