1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-Need advice/suggestions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Sir Chomps

1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-Need advice/suggestions

New to the forum here. I hope this is the correct place to post.

I have bought a 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer,4 wheel drive,360 V8,210,000 miles. The vehicle has been sitting unused for 12-15 years.
I need advice/suggestions on what should be the first steps/preps to getting the engine readied for the first start. I did not check to see if the engine was locked up or not prior to purchase. I was hoping to prevent any internal engine damage by trying to “cold start” an engine that has been sitting, without lubrication, as long as this has. The vehicle was at such a reasonable price, it is still worth it if the engine ends up being seized.

First check I did, yesterday was inspect condition of the cooling system(radiator). The overflow tank still contains antifreeze and when I removed the radiator cap it still had pressure on it, that is encouraging to me that at least the head gaskets are still intact, the water pump should be in good condition, the heater core is not leaking and there are no leaks in any of the hoses. the antifreeze was green, not cloudy. The coolant level was high enough to cover the inner core of the radiator.

My plan is as follows:

Remove the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with Pblaster or Marvelous Mystery Oil and let that soak for a few days.

2. Disconnect fuel line from carb. and attach external fuel tank to prevent stale fuel/trash from entering carb.

3. Inspect plug/coil wire for rodent/heat damage.

Things I'm not sure of:

1. what to do to the distributor to ensure it will spin freely on first startup.

2. what to do to,if anything, to the torque converter prior to start up

3. Should I remove valve covers and pre-lube/soak rocker arms or the valve stems?

4. Is there any way to soak or prep the carburetor to, hopefully,” rejuvenate” the gaskets and diaphragms inside just enough until I can do a rebuild?
5. Any ideas on soaking/prep the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm or should I just plan to purchase a new fuel pump?
I have almost unlimited time to get the vehicle back to a running condition, although limited budget. I didn’t want to “unload the parts cannon” on it until I could determine if the engine/tranny have any life left to them.

If anyone has questions/interest in the history of the Wagoneer, I’ll be glad to post what I know. Thank you to all, in advance for your time and replies.

Attached Thumbnails
'86jeepgw.jpg   '86jeepgw2.jpg   '86jeepgw3.jpg   '86jeepgw4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 08:46 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

For a simple start up:

Check all fluids(including the trans).

Pull the dist and run the oil pump to insure the engine is primed. You can also hook an external oil gauge to insure pressure.

Crank the engine and insure you have spark.

You can prime the carb through the vent or push some gas down the fuel line. This will allow you to check the acc pump and for any leaks. Insure the choke is set. You can start the engine with the carb disconnected, just remember to cap off the fuel line or the pump will spew old fuel all over the place.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump. You may want to clean the fuel system prior to reconnecting it to the carb.

I like using a remote starter so I can monitor things under the hood.

Insure the rig is in N or P and the brake is set(ask me how I know)

Always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy for any out of control backfires.

long term issues:
thermostat/weak antifreeze/leaking water pump

rust in fuel tank
rotted fuel and vacuum lines/belts

“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”

John Wayne
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Sir Chomps

Thank you for the quick reply!
I understand about the fire extinguisher, hope the garden hose will do for right now.Lol! I very much appreciate the reminder of setting the brake and making sure the trans is in park or neutral. I didn't mention in my op it is an automatic.

I'll post up dates to the group as they occur. It's threatening a thunderstorm outside, I don't have a garage or carport to work under. I'm true to the meaning "shade tree mechanic"!

post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Looks like a nice find!

If it was a manual I would be suggesting rocking it in gear but as it is an auto i would suggest getting a socket on the crankshaft pulley and easing it back and forth with a long bar. If it is well stuck the starter motor will not start it off, but going back and forth gently with the long bar will attack the grime and dust stopping the piston rings from both direction. Eventually something will start to give, hopefully not the piston rings. Don't worry if you see no results in first 5 minutes. Then add more lubricant, I used to use diesel but any oil will do, including B Blaster, it will work into teh crevices you are starting to open up..

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #5 of 5 Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Sir Chomps

Thank you for the response! I understand and I have a socket and breaker bar on stand-by if needed! Lol! It's been stormy,here in the lowcountry of SC, since I got it home. Looks like tomorrow will be the earliest I'll be able to get started. I'll update as progress is made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in