6Likes
  • 6 Post By MrButterfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-24-2021, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
1973 J4600 revival

Hey there FSJ peeps. Nearly 2 years ago I purchased a 1973 Jeep J4600 Custom cab to bring back from the dead. The overall plan is to get it running and driving as it did new, then work on body and paint. Once completed, I'll begrudgingly hand the keys over to my wife so she has a cool farm Jeep of her own. I've spent all of my time on the CJ forum bringing a 1976 CJ5 back to life so while I'm new on the FSJ forum, I'm not new to the site.

Here's a little about the truck. 1973 J4600 custom cab with a 3602bbl and BW1305 Quadratrac. I was able to verify the odometers actual mileage of 88,XXX miles as there are a few bills of sale through the years dating back to the early 80's that track the mileage accordingly.
There is some rust through the drivers floorboard, but the majority of the body looks good with only a few minor dents and no rust. The Jeep came with 2 extra TH400 transmissions and 3 extra BW1339 transfer cases, as well as many boxes of random additional parts such as accessory drive belt brackets, alternators, brake drums, axle shafts, and really you name it. I paid $1500 for the entire lot.

All the chrome on the truck is on it and in great shape. The interior is another matter, though salvageable. The seat is so broken down, the drivers spot has a hole through the springs to the floor.

The truck has likely not ran since 1989, let alone driven. Why it was parked, I dont know, but because of the paper trail that came with the truck I was able to contact a few previous owners to verify it's history and about when the last person actually turned the key and started it. Before I purchased it, I was able to get it to fire with a little fuel in the carb and it instantly came alive. I think this truck has just passed hands of people wanting to get it back on the road but never got to it.

Last week, my buddy and I set off to see if we could get it to run. The fuel tank is obviously rusty so I made a temporary tank to run it off of, replaced the fuel pump and it ran like a dream. It does have an exhaust leak, but easy fix. We tried to make it drive but it refused to go into gear. We rolled it out of the barn to somewhere a little more level and found the trans fluid was extremely low. After adding about 6 quarts, it went right into gear and moved under its own power.

There's obviously many things to go through like sticking brakes, checking compression, rebuilding the carburetor, and the list goes on, but I now have an idea of where to begin. I'll be posting updates as time goes on, though I'm in no hurry to have it completed. I look forward to sharing my progress with you and any help you offer in the future.

Here's the video of it moving under its own for the first time in a long time.

Mr B

Attached Thumbnails
20191120_122055[1].jpg   20191019_122211[1].jpg   20210521_150037[1].jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-11-2021, 07:18 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Looks good

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in