1969 Wagoneer will not start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-24-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Nic6194

1969 Wagoneer will not start

I just rescued a 1969 Wagoneer out of a field in Oregon. Looks like it was restored about 20 years ago and than parked in a field for about 7 years. I have not got it to run yet. Long story short there is no sark. It does look to have a new coil and distributer so the previous owner must have attempted to get it running. Any suggestions or advice on where to start would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2020, 11:46 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
points are set correctly. if they are corroded try some sand paper to fresher up. cap good still, corroded? wires good? Power to it at least on my older car there is a ballast to drop the 12v down, check voltage. Be sure the Distributor is set correctly on TDC and not off or 180* out. <common mistake.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Nic6194

The cap, ballast and wires are all new. Thanks for the advice on checking for TDC If that was off would it prevent no spark? Also I read that it could be the ignition switch so I ordered a new one.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Get yourself a test light or meter and troubleshoot it first. To assume it is the ignition switch is to cause yourself time and money and hassle that you may not need.

If you have points check that you have voltage to the points and coil and the points open and close. check you have about 7V in run and 12V in start at the coil. It is common to have a minor issue with this setup.

If you have no power you can take a piece of wire from the solenoid or battery and connect to the coil positive side. You can run on full 12V for many hours.

Next thing is to check that the closing and opening of the points creates a spark. This happens in the coil when the field collapses i.e. when the points open. Take the central lead from the distributor and hold it near the engine. Close and open the points by hand. Does a spark jump out? If the points are working and you can verify that the coil is well mounted, it is probably a failed coil. You can test the coil by checking the resistance of the wires inside.

if you have spark at the coil, then your issue is in the distributor. It could be the timing but you need to check on no 1 lead that you are getting any spark. If you are then it is timing. Do not trust the timing marks until you verify where the TDC actually is.

If you know what you are doing you can overcome a bad ignition switch in a few minutes or at least rule it out. Find the wiring diagram and probe the wires at the switch. A red wire goes in carrying battery voltage and is always live. In Run and Start the red with tracer wires coming out will be live, they are ignition wires. A light blue wire will be live in Start only.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in