MJ Front end still slop/loose after complete front end rebuild? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Tony1928
1992 MJ Comanche 

MJ Front end still slop/loose after complete front end rebuild?

Okay here goes....

First of all I've searched for days on the problems and none seem like my situation. This has been an underlying problem since I bought the jeep it seems but its only gotten worse. Ive had several of my co workers and mechanic friends try to figure it out (I used to work at AAMCO Transmissions) and are as stumped as me. So here is whats going on.

I bought the jeep and I never really noticed any slop/play but it could have definitely been there. Thats when I got new rims with some nice wranglers that had decent tred. It drove great for quite some time. I've always heard of deathwobble but never experienced it first hand. One day I was traveling on the freeway when all the sudden WABAM! Full on deathwobble in the fast lane grabbing the brakes for dear life and scaring the crap out of the car behind me. Thats when I stopped driving on the freeway.....

So im on a mission to get rid of this deathwobble...because it happened 2 or 3 times and its super freaky... I have my co-worker get under the car while I shake the wheel back and forth. Nothing really seems to have very much play and he cant see anything visibly loose. Although my lower axle control arm mount on passanger side was bent inwards?? Ok so we took the arm down and hammered it back straight. It looked perfect and still does. Steering box had a weird clunk noise but no slop. So we got shocks, a new steering stabilizer, and I got an alligment... it seemed to help alot and I resumed driving on the freeway. There was still some kind of shake/slop but I think the steering stabilizer was covering up the problem. Once again I got death wobble.

So now I have had enough of deathwobble.... so I rebuild the whole front end of the jeep. Here is the list....

4 new firestone destination a/t
Axle u-joints
Bearings
TRE (all 4)
Upper control arms (axle side bushings too)
Lower control arms
Track bar (energy suspension poly kit)
Steering box
Sway bar bushings
Sway bar linkages
Upper ball joints
Lower ball joints
4 shocks

After these parts were installed I also got a allinment (allinment tech said it looks great). I drove down the road and it was the most dissapointing feeling to feel that same slop/play. It only happens over bumps and it feels like the axle is jiggling around under the car(not deathwobble) but its the beginning feeling of it just not initiating into full on deathwobble. It feels more like the play is in the front right tire but once it starts to wobble a bit then it feels like jiggly axle. After all the work ive had deathwobble once. I put a new steering stabilizer (again) and it felt better but still there and havent had it since but im counting the days until it happens again.....

Another quick note: ive jacked the car up from the frame and tried jiggling components and doing everything I could to find any play/slop and it feels all as hard as a rock.

So any ideas would be really helpful because as of right now the hoover dam is looking like one hell of a ramp!!!!!!Sorry about the novel I just figured you should know the fine details to help me completely.

Thank you for your time and will be glad to hear some responses on this odd situation.

Tony

Last edited by Tony1928; 07-29-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Name:  IMG_2014062534201.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  25.8 KB

Ok kidding aside. IMO and experience 90% if dw is track bar related. I chased it for weeks in my 92 xj. I finally found that my track bar axle mount was a little wallowed out. And it would tighten up but work loose again.
I've also seen a weak or bent spring cause it too.
I found my bad mount when I lifted the rig and swapped the front axle during a major over haul and regear.
Check the frame mount too. I've had the old stock bolts work loose on me.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/92-xj-sadness-2075657/index2.html
post #3 of 7 Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Tony1928
1992 MJ Comanche 

Okay so you got me thinking. I've been wanting to get the bigger bolt for my track bar axle mount. Do I just drill the holes on the mount and the poly metal sleeve. Is there a way to test for weak springs?..I've had both the springs out in the front and they wernt broke... but the feeling im having is definitely a bump initiated up and down sensation. It feels as if it has a hard time dampening the force then starts oscillating. Swapped my front right shock that was new in the last six months with another that my friend had that felt way better then my "new" one. It drove somewhat better but still the same feeling more dampened.

The track bar frame mount I've had off 2 or 3 times and thats the way I changed my track bar so I could inspect the frame for cracks or fractures. The axle track bar mount for some reason I had to bend it back open to get the new one installed. Also had to bend steering stabilizer axle bracket open too. It looked like it was wacked from the front. I can try to snap a photo tomorrow to show ya the mark. But nothing really looks too far out of whack.

What about a bent axle and or tube? I also did my axle seals while I did the steering since it was all apart and the right tube was leaking...I re did the seals and now the right side is leaking again..... and on the same note.... they said my allingment is perfect when I had it done after all the steering work and checked again after I did my tires. For some reason to go straight my steering wheel is slightly left and if I straighten, it goes right. Also pulls very very lightly to the right....

Anyhow I'll look at some other things and get a bigger track bar bolt and repert my findings.

Thanks for the quick response unberxj

Tony

post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 AM
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Pulling to the right might be caused by the crown of the road. Roads are crowned to allow water to drain not stand and cause puddles.
Try rotating front to rear tires and rims on that side at least. Rule out bent rim.
As for testing for weak springs we found mine to be weak by measuring the lift before and after.
The leaking maybe a bad shaft.
I would get a day off and a cigar in my case and start inspecting every part starting on the right side. The tie rod end take it down and hands on inspect it.
Our rigs are finicky. I will try to get a pick of my track bar axle bolt for you tomorrow. I replaced the stock bolt with a grade 8 set. I used a slightly linger bolt because I put on large flat washers to help spread the stress. The stock bolt bent so bad that we had to break it to remove it. And I do not crawl.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 AM
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Garage
X2 on track bar being suspect. Have you inspected the mounting hole on the body side bracket as well? This is commonly "wallowed out" and will cause DW.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tony1928
1992 MJ Comanche 

Uberxj!!!!!!! You are the man! I started researching bent axle shafts and I found a video that showed how it acts. Well I out my truck on all jackstands and ran the tire. The caliper was moving in a circle motion. Haha! So I went to junkyard and 25$ later she purrs down the road. Also have some type of shake still. Had my friend watch the rear end and my leaf springs are done. My whole rear axle can twist forward and backwards. After some new leafs this thing will be riding like a cadillac. Also didnt know that it could cause deathwobble. And that vibration it was causing kept taking my front right shock and steering damper out in 3 months. Crazy and once again....

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!

Tony
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Anytime bro. Hood to hear she's better. Jeep on

Tags
comanche , death wobble , front end shake , jeep , loose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in