iS this comanche ok?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
s-haney

iS this comanche ok?!

i want to start jeeping and i thought this comanche might be ok for the first one....

http://www.jeep-classifieds.com/18360_jeep-ad.html

this is just what i found and i was wondering if you could tell me what are good things/bad with this model and what are some ideal things to look for in a comanche. im aware that the 88 only has a 2.5 liter but as a beginner would this limit the amount of "jeeping" it will be able to handle or be tuned for?!

I have nearly $2500 in bank and this will be my first vehicle so any suggestions would be cool...! thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
mr_user

As far as bang for the buck wheeling wise goes, an XJ would be a bit more suitable. The aftermarket world is tremendous and there are a ton of cheap parts in boneyards, etc.

For that MJ, she looks great to me. No surface rust, aftermarket wheels and tires, very clean, I'd go for it.

Matt

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
post #3 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looks very nice. Coming from a Comanche addict, I can tell you now that that's a well-rounded Comanche, and would probably treat you real well if you installed another motor.

Hope to see you in the Jeeping world either way!

Main rig under screen-name...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7,

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

post #4 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 PM
jeepcomanche88

that would be great its already got a good size lift and LOCKERS sounds like a great deal i would jump all over that.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 PM
cj7xjmj

Personally, I think that is real high for a 4 banger 2wd. Now If that price included the other axles, then it might be allright, but you would still need to regear. I would pass and keep looking for what you wanted. If you decide to buy it, I would find out why he doesnt want to complete the project. It seems that he has all the parts, why not take a weekend and intall the rest of the parts? I am always leary of projects that ppl run out of time on, or just need putting together. Those words almost always equal other problems. Acceptable reasons for sale, are moving, buying a house, having a baby, getting a divorce. Otherwise I would run, and run quickly
post #6 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7xjmj
Personally, I think that is real high for a 4 banger 2wd. Now If that price included the other axles, then it might be allright, but you would still need to regear. I would pass and keep looking for what you wanted. If you decide to buy it, I would find out why he doesnt want to complete the project. It seems that he has all the parts, why not take a weekend and intall the rest of the parts? I am always leary of projects that ppl run out of time on, or just need putting together. Those words almost always equal other problems. Acceptable reasons for sale, are moving, buying a house, having a baby, getting a divorce. Otherwise I would run, and run quickly
Oye, it's 2WD? I thought it was 4WD with the exception he also had extra parts, such as a front axle and etc...

Gone, but not forgotten:

post #7 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
a4xnut
1989 MJ Comanche 

Are we all reading the same ad?

The one I see, says it's 4wd and a 6 cyl and the pics show a t-case shifter. And the price is $2200 for just the truck or $4000 for the truck with all the extra axle & lift parts.

Quote:
88 Comanche 4x4 short bed
Ad ID: #18360
Seller: #10365
Expiry Date: 4/6/2006 10:39:47 AM
Price: $2200 - US Dollars
Accept Offers:
Ad Views: 8841

Description:
Automatic, buckets, white w/black steel wheels, 6 cly, 4X4, approx 125,000 daily driver New 3 core Radiator and waterpump etc. (many other items also) (rebuilt title)
Running out of time - also have but NOT installed 97 Cry 8 1/4 & D30 Front w/locker and 4.11 gears, RE Adj upper Control arms, lower control arms & Drop Brackets, Adj Track Bar, Rustys springs and Trans 1 drop with Trans skid. Front hitch w/tow points and light duty rear hitch. Many other parts for 4 1/2 lift. 4100 w/parts or 2200 truck

Vehicle Features:
Audio with Casette
2 Door
Four Wheel Drive
6 Cylinder Engine
Regular Fuel
Power Steering
Auto Transmission
Locker (Front)
May not be such a bad deal, especially if that's what you wanna do with it. Might be a bit of a pipe dream to get $4000 for the whole package. I couldn't find anyone to give me $1000 for my XJ's axles and they're better than what this guy's got. Maybe offer him $3K for the whole schmear.

Paul W.
Had God not driven Man from the Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
'94 XJ Country 4dr4.0L HO, AW4, NP242
'89 MJ Shortbed 4.0L, AX15, NP231, D44
'86 XJ Laredo 4dr 2.8L, A904, NP207, D44, full-floater HP D30, lockers, winch, etc.
'71 CJ-5 Project
post #8 of 14 Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
cj7xjmj

My fault.... it is 4wd drive. Price is still high though. Even with all the parts. The axles are worth maybe 500 and that is on the high side. The re DB's new form tRE's site are 262. The uppers I paid 131 for, I think the lowers are about the same price. ADJ trac bar about 125 new. Basically he has a 100 dollars worth of parts if he goes and sells them with on a good day 1500-2000 dollar truck. Some one go buy it, so we can see if it was worth it
post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
jage

I agree you want to be careful of the parts - like is the rear axel ready to go with proper mounts? Are they spring over or spring under? Is the lift, rear springs, actually for an MJ (MJ springs are longer) are they spring over or under?

It's all those little things that might not be right that would explain why he is ditching this project... I've got a pile of 'em for my project MJ so I kinda know.

Also the carpets are very thick and floorboard holes can be tough to spot from inside. If you can crawl under and look at the driverside floorboards.

Other than that, pretty much ditto what everybody else says... although personally I'd make him pay me to take the rusty's parts (beat 'dat hoss)

jage

00 Jeep TJ Body Armor Rear+Rails Hanson Front 12K Winch 4" Full Traction LA 35" Toyo Open Country Mud Atlas II Finally!

<- mi crappy blog | Because Jeep doesn't make a van ->

Don't buy Rusty's <- Still hating after all these years -> Don't buy Rusty's
post #10 of 14 Old 03-16-2006, 08:39 AM
75SV1

I'd say a bit high on price, but from the pics, I see no rust. If its in very good to excellent shape, then I might go that high. I paid $1200-1400 for my 2WD about 5 years ago. I put $400-600 into. I had a garage do the work. You might look at Edmonds or Kelley for a Blue Book value in your area. Overall condition is a main factor if I'd pay that much. Mainly body condition. Mechanicals I can usually handle. Body work and paint can get expensive fast. You might ask youself, if you need the lift and other stuff right away. Also, price them out vs new. And cash talks. How long has he had it for sale? Also, remember that Comanches or any vehicle will bring different values in different parts of the country. Still, to me its condition, condition, condition. It looks very good from the picture. He has replaced some parts. I'd take that as a plus.
Tom
post #11 of 14 Old 03-16-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
s-haney

huh?!

wait... i thought it was 4x4?!? the article says 4x4 but inless thats for something else...

otherwise i was thinking skip the parts...like you said i could get mine cheaper and possibly avoid a project thats doomed to fail anyway...
post #12 of 14 Old 03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's 4WD. No worries.

Gone, but not forgotten:

post #13 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 07:28 AM
cj7xjmj

When I bought my First MJ 4yrs ago it was a 90 long bed, no rust, with 4.0 and 4wd auto. It had 125000 miles onit. I paid 1500. I just passed on 2 MJ's for 500 bucks cause of the rust, and they were 4bangers. Location and condition will dicatate price.

Patrick
post #14 of 14 Old 03-17-2006, 08:21 AM
75SV1

I went to KBB and put in the info I had. I didn't put in premium wheels. I didn't know if it had A/C or not. I got back $1420 for one in excellent condition for a PA zip code. If you serious about this one, then you need to look at it in person. Pictures can hide a lot. Does it alreay have a lift on it? It does look like a 3 inch lift and bigger tires than stock. There are too many questions to ask. You might offer less, say $1800 if everything is in very good condition. If it does have larger than stock tires, what gear ratios are on it. 4:10 with an auto seems a bit low. I though with 31's about 4:55 or so was about right. I've also heard mixed feelings about a front locker.
Off road parts usually don't bring much on a vehicle, unless you find the right buyer. A lot of people remove them for that reason. At a cetain point though, if its in realy good conditon, mechanically, interior and body wise, then I'd consider something closer to his asking price. Still, you might be better buying it if its in very good conditon and not have to put a bunch of money into something of lesser condition.
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in