Bad proportioning valve.. any ideas? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
tonythehazelnut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bad proportioning valve.. any ideas?

After extensive brake work on this truck ('99, 4.0L, 4spd auto and 2wd), I went to bleed the brakes and was getting no pressure at the front passenger tire. I disconnected the banjo bolt from the caliper, hung the hose free, pumped up the brakes... no fluid came out. Disconnected the steel line, no fluid. Disconnected the steel line from the proportioning valve, no fluid. I removed the valve, cleaned it out, and I'm gonna try to put it back on. Any tips on how to free up an old valve? If I gotta get another one from the junkyard, which proportioning valves from other vehicles would work? I hope this all makes sense, I'm freaking tired

Built Not Bought #482

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Heap-O-Jeep

1998 XJ Cherokee 

im kinda having the same problem with my cherokee. on hard braking it pulls left. dont know what it is i have fluid in the rh circuit new hoses and calipers,pads,rotors i have pressure i had an assistant work the pedal for bleeding. i used a prybar to try to move the wheels while he applied the brakes i couldn't move it im wondering if my prop. valve is going bad. a friend of mine had a 97 TJ with a faulty prop.valve hmm wondering if there is something to this.

WHY DO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING?
post #3 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM
mjjeeper
1988 MJ Comanche 

Does the truck still have the height sensing brake line bracket and line connected into the prop valve?

post #4 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Heap-O-Jeep

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjeeper View Post
Does the truck still have the height sensing brake line bracket and line connected into the prop valve?
huh? obviously this is something im not aware of ?

post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 AM
mjjeeper
1988 MJ Comanche 

MJ's had a height sensing rear proportional valve. A braket came down from the frame with a rod connecting it to a braket on the rear axle housing diff cover. (It was supposed to sense the load u were carrying and apply increased brake pressure to the rear wheels depending on the wieght in the bed) look up under the truck by the rear axle and above to see if you have any remnants of the device. An additional brake line runs to that. btw, mj brakes are a *****. when i did mine i had the same type of problems; i ended up replacing everything after being frustrated with what it could be. (brake booster/prop valve included) I do not have my height sensing prop valve hooked up either. I believe also if you switch out your prop valve in the front to an xj style without the additional line running to the rear it cuts it out of the system
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

the front is not a "prop" valve, it's just a splitter. the proportioning duties are carried out by the height sensing prop valve in the rear.

-88 MJ; 4.0L, ex-2wd, TJ ax15/231, 78 Ford D44 w/spool, 9" w/posi, 33" trXus MTs, custom roll-bar/bumpers/etc.
Also an 86 MJ Metric ton and 2 '90 MJs
Projects/wheelin' pics: picturetrail.com/petermontie
My email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ComancheClub.com/forums
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Heap-O-Jeep

1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok. yeah i know what that is. i have never experienced it on a jeep, (i have seen it on other vehicles) but i trust that there is one on the MJ. but this post is in the commanche forum but the original poster has a YJ? so....... where do we go from here?

post #8 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 PM
mjjeeper
1988 MJ Comanche 

Why do you need to know where you are going??? lol. i couldnt resist.
Umm is everything new on the left side too?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Heap-O-Jeep

1998 XJ Cherokee 

yes new calipers and hoses pads rotors!

post #10 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 PM
mjjeeper
1988 MJ Comanche 

Nothing leaking? maybe brakes? Maybe front steering/suspension? all good tie rod ends and trac bar bushings?
post #11 of 11 Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 PM
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I bypassed the rear valve in mine. Moved the hose down to where the valve was attached and left the "extra" line off (capped it)

"Usually found in a Jeep near Reiter, WA"
FOR SALE STUFF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in