87 MJ AC System - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
jdritch
1987 MJ Comanche 

87 MJ AC System

When I bought my 87 MJ the AC system did not work. I am trying to piece it back together before summer arrives. I am looking for some sort of diagram or something of the likes that would help me to figure out what parts I need and what parts I don't need. I know for sure I need a condenser and the hose that goes from the compressor to the condenser.

There is a hose that comes off of the bottom of the receiver/drier that looks to have but cut off at some point. Does anyone know what that hose would be called and where it is suppose to go to?

I found this diagram but it doesn't seem like its the right one to me:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...category=20300

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

You might want to post this in Cherokee tech. Parts will be the same and you'll get more responses. I'd also consider an R-134 conversion, it's not exactly easy to find a shop that has R-12 anymore.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|SOLD|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
jdritch
1987 MJ Comanche 

Alright will do. I actually know where there is a shop that has a box of R-12 refrigerant but i will probably convert anyways.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

R12 is much better if you can get it. Just make sure the a/c system doesn't leak before filling it.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-17-2016, 06:39 AM
tadchad
1987 MJ Comanche 

Garage
How can you tell if a system is R12 or R134, I don't know much about AC systems and I know that my compressor clutch is leaking out the front, PO said he was placing R
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2016, 06:45 AM
tadchad
1987 MJ Comanche 

Garage
How do you confirm if a system is an R12 or R134? I don't know anything about A systems at all, my compressor is leaking from the front, compressor still kicks on, but I figured it wasn't worth the time to just replace the clutch and bearings, when I can purchase a new compressor and clutch for a little cash. Here is a pic of my system. PO stated he was putting in R12 but that doesn't mean he was correct. Can anyone tell me which system I have, also if the system hasn't been charged and is not blowing cold air I the a reason to vav the lines, can I just change out the compressor and recharge the system?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Actually in our Jeeps 134a works just fine. I've converted 3 of them already. 39.8* out the vents, sitting still, on a 90* day is not something you could upstage with R12.

The fittings are different and there should be a sticker in the engine compartment.
Attached Images

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

Tags
ac , air conditioning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in