Stuck O2 Sensor! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
alamoreaux

Stuck O2 Sensor!

So I'm replacing my upstream O2 sensor on my 1996 Cherokee XJ, and I cannot for the life of me get this ****er off. I've tried heat, I've tried penetration fluid, I've hammered the **** out of it, and it will not budge. I'm worried that if I try any more I'm gonna strip the whole bolt. I'm using a 7/8 wrench and hammering it. I don't have the Jeep lifted and I can't get much leverage.

Any tips and tricks to help me out?

Thank you from Ashley and Arthur XJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 05:03 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wow! Only thing I can suggest is to get a small torch and some ice or ice pack. Freeze the sensor only until it's cold then quickly heat the pipe right at/below the nut. Tap the wrench quickly to TIGHTEN. Repeat and this time tap it to LOOSEN. Doing this back and forth 3-4 times MAY break it loose.

You can lay the wrench on the ice pack to keep it cold too so that it doesn't help warm up the sender.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 01:32 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oxy-acetylene torch may me need to heat and expand the bung the sensor is screwed into. The bung is heated red hot around as much as possible and it will come out.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 AM
DieHard4Adv
1996 ZJ 

Garage
I just had this same problem last week. After much frustration and hard but futile work, I watched a couple of You Tue videos about stuck sensors on other makes. Here's what I did: First, I used a die grinder and cut off the sensor body until I could fit a regular 6 point socket over the base. Then I heated the sensor base with a MAPP torch. I tried it with a long 1/2" drive breaker bar but it would not budge, so I let it cool a minute and sprayed heavy with PB Blaster. I let it cool a couple hours and sprayed again. I lefty it go a few more hours then sprayed it and started the engine and kept it running for about 5 minutes or so and then immediately put the breaker bar on it and sat to the left of the driver's fender, put my feet on the jack stand and pulled with all my 64 year old heart and 240 lb. butt. IT MOVED! Not much of a turn allowed in the limited space, so I reset the bar and pulled again. Not quite so hard but still took effort. After a few repeats, I was able to use a ratchet but it was difficult the whole way out. I recommend a thread chaser before installing the new sensor. Use a healthy amount of anti-sleaze so you don't have the same problem if there is a next time. Don't get ANYTHING on the internal sensor part or it could lead to early failure. Hope this helps you as it did me.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Jmkaiser

I would clip the wires since your going to have new ones anyway so you can put a box eng wrench on it. For more torque you can use 2 box wrenches together to increase leverage. PB blaster could help too

Tags
loosening , o2 sensor , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in