Quick and Easy chrome cleaner - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-16-2020, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
JeepLiving

1976 CJ7 

Garage
Quick and Easy chrome cleaner

I was cleaning my chrome glove box cover and was using a mild scrub pad but it looked like it was leaving scratches. I remembered seeing one time that you can use Coke or Diet Coke with a piece of Aluminum foil to take off the rust. The first picture is the inside of the glove box as I was already cleaning the outside before thinking of putting this out there for someone else to try. The picture below is before cleaning the inside cover.

inside-glovebox.jpg

I then took a square of aluminum foil and Diet Coke and a bucket and poured some on the cover. I folded the aluminum foil in half twice and went to work on the cover. Right away black stuff was rolling off and I could see it was working. Put a little more Diet Coke on the cover and went over it again. Below you can see the result. I think the scratches are from the scrub pad I started using first.

inside-glovebox-cleaned.jpg

I also did the outside and this already had some scratches in it so I'm not sure if any came from using the aluminum foil. I tried to rinse off the foil while using to flush off the dirt. You can see below that it turned out looking pretty good. If you are going to try this do it in a small area first. When I was done I washed it with soap and rinsed off. Once dry I used Turtle paste wax to seal it up.

outside-glovebox-.jpg

Any day is a good day when you can get on the trails!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in