Heater core cleaning - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heater core cleaning

The GC had poorish heat when I got it and over the years it got worse. Using a remote thermometer I realized the hose was hot near the water pump but not as hot back by the firewall which seemed to mean that there was not much water flow even though if you put a garden hose to it water seemed to flow pretty easily.

Replacing the heater core was something I DID NOT want to do, taking the whole dash apart. Had a shop do a 'flush' a while back and it helped for a while but still a problem. I was very nervous about doing anything that might cause a leak in the heater core.

I took a portable sump pump (Lowes etc) which I keep because occasionally I get water in my basement ran the output of the pump (in a large bucket) to the RETURN line on the heater core and ran the input line back to the bucket so the water flowed opposite of normal direction. I added commercial radiator cleaner to the water in the bucket (would not take a chance on causing a leak with home made formulas on the internet) and ran it for about an hour, then flushed with clear water.

Very big improvement in heat. Cost almost nothing.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
Did you disconnect the heater core lines <and connect your pump> at the heater core or the water pump?

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeters View Post
Did you disconnect the heater core lines <and connect your pump> at the heater core or the water pump?
I pulled the hoses off the water pump. I had to use 2 way barbs and extra hose to reach the bucket

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

post #4 of 6 Old 12-24-2019, 07:08 AM
Arty McGeep

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
When I was a technician at the Honda dealer, Honda had a procedure similar to what you did, but they had us use CLR (calcium lime rust remover). It worked pretty well sometimes. We’d run it one direction for a while then switch the hoses around.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-25-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty McGeep View Post
When I was a technician at the Honda dealer, Honda had a procedure similar to what you did, but they had us use CLR (calcium lime rust remover). It worked pretty well sometimes. We’d run it one direction for a while then switch the hoses around.

What you use would depend somewhat on what is the cause of the blockage. Corrosion tends to respond to a ph base (if I'm remebering high school chemistry correctly), whereas mineral deposits respond to acid. In the old days, when most people used tap water, mineral deposits were common. Now with most using premixed antifreeze or distilled water, there is much less of that

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Arty McGeep

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
yeah, there was some problem Honda had with their coolant that would cause a clog in the cores on CR-V and Elements. It was a really oddball problem, but I've fixed a few cars with the method over the years. In my shop, we always use distilled water to mix up our coolant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in