custom snorkel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Muddeprived

custom snorkel

I had this posted as Home Depot Snorkel but can't seem to find the thread plus i updated the snorkel a little. I guess this counts as a cheap trick/fix since it all cost under $40 and gives your air filter AIR instead of water when you decide to cross the Atlantic.

I reused the stock box but used flex hose (for dryers and such) to the TB box to give me a better position. The factory air filter box was flipped around and sits sideways, held in place by a few brackets placed here and there. The pvc was bolted to the air box (after enlarging the hole) and then sealed with silicone. The rest is a bunch of angled pvc piping and a 4" pvc cap held on by four long screws. I have yet to have a wet filter when it used to be common. Yeah that's a 4" hole i drilled in my hood and crankcase hose wrapped around it to pretty it up.

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

1999 TJ 2.5L 5spd 2" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Airborne4X4

1948 CJ2A 

Not bad. Good use of stock air box.

I like the cap you made. Been thinking about doing something like that. I'll prolly have it come up through the cowling just in front of the windshield, though.

Let us know how it works out.

1948 CJ2a
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne4X4
Not bad. Good use of stock air box.

I like the cap you made. Been thinking about doing something like that. I'll prolly have it come up through the cowling just in front of the windshield, though.

Let us know how it works out.
This is actually about a year old. It's worked great and i haven't sucked in water since it was installed. I hit a few tsunami type waves and had the water up to my headlights at once point. The main problem i had was the distributer cap getting water in it so i sealed it up with sealant and fixed that problem.

I'm lookin for a stock air box that someone doesn't want so i can redo my setup. I might just run flex hose all the way to the hood, attach the snorkel TO the hood (instead of removable as it is now) and run pvc up to the top of the windshield with a cone filter. I'm looking for those water-resistant cone filter covers but can't seem to find any.

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

post #4 of 6 Old 02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
0utback
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like that. Looks clean and seems to do the job well.

My only question is why no one has exited a snorkle from the side of the hood like the old CJ5 and M38A1 did. Seems to me to be the most logical and sensible location. But no one does it. I just find that weird.

'05 Khaki Rubicon Recce Edition
'46 CJ2A farm Jeep
'93 M101CDN military trailer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canadian Jeep Club Mbr #65
You can't be lost if you don't care where you are!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utback
I like that. Looks clean and seems to do the job well.

My only question is why no one has exited a snorkle from the side of the hood like the old CJ5 and M38A1 did. Seems to me to be the most logical and sensible location. But no one does it. I just find that weird.
You'll have to make it removable to access the engine compartment, like mine is. Most people don't want to have to remove the snorkel to lift the hood. It doesn't really bother me though, it's only two seconds extra.

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
toyotabasher
1995 ZJ 

it looks good not to high but not to low.dont forget to run vent line extensions and watch out for the pcm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in