Wheeling in a TH? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Vinci
1984 CJ7 

Wheeling in a TH?

Anybody taken their new TrailHawk wheeling yet? How'd it do? Got any flexed pics of it?

We're thinking of adding one to the stable, but we'd use it for some light to moderate wheeling and would love your thoughts on how the KL's are performing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 PM
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Youtubes your friend although there's not many videos of them actually off road, there's about 2 videos that impress me to some degree and the rest are going through 2" deep puddles smh.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"
post #3 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Check here > Post your KL Cherokee pics!

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Tyler-98-W68
2016 KL Cherokee 

Take a look at my YT channel, the TH is my friends, but we've gone through a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TnTTyler...w=0&shelf_id=3

2016 Trailhawk 3.2L | Player3 Tuned Via HP Tuners
post #5 of 13 Old 09-06-2014, 08:59 AM
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

i'm sure it will do fine....my wife wont let me take ours off road but i'm sure they will do fine. i would think the limiting factor, like most 4 x 4s is frame and body clearance.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Saw one at rausch creek two weeks ago. Everyone thought the guy was insane for bringing what had to have been min $40,000 car out there. It did ok (rocks were slick) but at the end of the day limiting factor is as tcass said above ^. It just doesn't have the clearance.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybomber View Post
Saw one at rausch creek two weeks ago. Everyone thought the guy was insane for bringing what had to have been min $40,000 car out there. It did ok (rocks were slick) but at the end of the day limiting factor is as tcass said above ^. It just doesn't have the clearance.
You happen to remember what trails it was running? I know a few of them get pretty rough. I need to make a trip there with my KK.

2011 KK - Skyslider - JBA Adjust-A-Strut - OME 731 - Bilstein Shocks - JBA UCA- 245/75-16 Duratracs
post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Kinda saw him around the day. Stayed on trails similar to power lines/comp course. He really wasn't pushing it, and I don't blame him. Was actually kinda funny, our group was 2 wranglers, one XJ, and two pretty built commanders (WK's I think?) aaaaannnnddd this dude from Jersey city who asked to join up with us for the day cause he came out solo. He was wheeling a 2014 Rubicon Anniversary....that was a lease. While the guy wheeling the TH has balls, the guy wheeling a 42k vehicle that's a lease is just an idiot, cause we did a couple blues (J-1 if you know it), and I know I heard him hitting a couple times.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-28-2014, 08:04 PM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybomber View Post
haven't checked out pricing for a new rubicon lately have you?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-29-2014, 05:23 AM
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well you're certainly right to a degree. Let's face it, the first time I wheeled my brand new 2013 JKU I was freakin out about every little ding just cause I still owed 20K on it. And I'm really not trying to diss the TH- In fact, I was surprised when I researched it's capabilities for the sake of replying to this post. Comes stock with some skid plates, a rear locker, and a 4-lo system, it's certainly better equipped than I had initially thought.

BUT-

At the end of the day, a rubi is simply better from stock to go wheeling in. It has a better approach angle, breakover angle, departure angle, fording depth and running ground clearance than a TH. Additionally, it doesn't come stock with rock rails as the rubi does, nor it's t-case ratio and front locking differential and disconnecting sway bar.

It's kinda like using a freshwater fishing boat in the ocean vs. a center console. Sure, they cost similar amounts, and odds are good that both boats will make it back. But which one is going to do better?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

It's all about having the right tool for the job at hand. For someone running interstate from town to town on a daily basis yet still wanting to traverse a bit of dirt road down to the fishin hole on weekends, the TH just might be the proper tool.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #12 of 13 Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 AM
davidevo50

you can see mine in action here;

https://www.youtube.com/user/davidevo50/videos
post #13 of 13 Old 11-27-2014, 12:53 PM
hewhosculpts
2014 KL Cherokee 

Some modest stuff in Utah

I did the Cathedral Valley Loop which was not quite a real trail. Though it was nice having 4-lo and I did bump the skid plates a few times. I also made it 7 of the 10 miles to the Panarama Point in the Maze district. Note, I turned around because it was getting to be too late in the day and I wasn't prepared to camp (permit or equitment wise.) This was a real 4x4 trail and had some sections of modest slick rock. The only hairy bit was a small section that looked like it had washed out in the floods a week before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in