Thank you Jeep Forum! Rocker Arm Failure - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-28-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
karabryan
2015 KL Cherokee 

Thank you Jeep Forum! Rocker Arm Failure

Thanks to this forum, I knew that the ticking noise that I was hearing in my 2015 Jeep Cherokee was a failed bearing damaging the camshaft. Took it to the shop and they gave me the following, very common diagnosis:

"Check ticking noise from top side of engine. Noise is from valve train. Remove valve covers for inspection. Right intake camshaft has broken rocker arm and has worn lobe of camshaft on cylender number 1. Replace all rocker arms and right intake camshaft with updated parts from dealer. (Chrysler / Jeep has updated those rocker arms 8 times since my Jeep came out due to this issue of the bearings disintegrating and damaging the cam shaft).

I was lucky to have a local seasoned mechanic listen to my concerns and he was able to call in a mechanic from Chrysler to assist with the repair. It is my only vehicle but has 213,000 highway miles and I know Chrysler won't help me on this. My late-significant other picked this Jeep out for me so that I would be safe traveling long distances for work alone. He had me purchase this 4 months before he passed away and, other than an issue with the transmission clunking due to a software update, a new battery and new shocks, this Jeep has served me well. I hope that after this $1,200 repair, I am able to put at least another 100,000 miles on it. I don't drive it hard and haven't even had to put breaks on it yet. I get regular oil changes and keep up the maintenance.

The mechanic told me this is a very very common issue on this engine so if you start to hear a ticking sound, get it in. I'm disappointed this hasn't been a recall since Jeep knows about the issue with the rocker arms but I paid the repair bill and hope this helps someone else.

I have pictures of the damaged parts if anyone would like to see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-28-2020, 06:26 PM
stormer1092
2019 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabryan View Post
Thanks to this forum, I knew that the ticking noise that I was hearing in my 2015 Jeep Cherokee was a failed bearing damaging the camshaft. Took it to the shop and they gave me the following, very common diagnosis:

"Check ticking noise from top side of engine. Noise is from valve train. Remove valve covers for inspection. Right intake camshaft has broken rocker arm and has worn lobe of camshaft on cylender number 1. Replace all rocker arms and right intake camshaft with updated parts from dealer. (Chrysler / Jeep has updated those rocker arms 8 times since my Jeep came out due to this issue of the bearings disintegrating and damaging the cam shaft).

I was lucky to have a local seasoned mechanic listen to my concerns and he was able to call in a mechanic from Chrysler to assist with the repair. It is my only vehicle but has 213,000 highway miles and I know Chrysler won't help me on this. My late-significant other picked this Jeep out for me so that I would be safe traveling long distances for work alone. He had me purchase this 4 months before he passed away and, other than an issue with the transmission clunking due to a software update, a new battery and new shocks, this Jeep has served me well. I hope that after this $1,200 repair, I am able to put at least another 100,000 miles on it. I don't drive it hard and haven't even had to put breaks on it yet. I get regular oil changes and keep up the maintenance.

The mechanic told me this is a very very common issue on this engine so if you start to hear a ticking sound, get it in. I'm disappointed this hasn't been a recall since Jeep knows about the issue with the rocker arms but I paid the repair bill and hope this helps someone else.

I have pictures of the damaged parts if anyone would like to see what happens.
I'm a mechanic for Chrysler and yes we do see lifters start to tick but never seen a camshaft break. Generally speaking the only engine issues we see are people who go 6000 mile plus between oil changes. The 3.2 is fairly bulletproof. I can't stress enough that 3000 mile oil changes are cheap insurance.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-28-2020, 08:46 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would say at 213,000 miles it went past its design. no matter the oil. will it go another 100k? hard to believe it made it that far and brakes are still good? still on stock tires too..

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2020, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
karabryan
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post
I'm a mechanic for Chrysler and yes we do see lifters start to tick but never seen a camshaft break. Generally speaking the only engine issues we see are people who go 6000 mile plus between oil changes. The 3.2 is fairly bulletproof. I can't stress enough that 3000 mile oil changes are cheap insurance.
I have oil changes done every 3,000 - have every receipt to show it. The rocker arm issue is so common that those camshafts are back ordered for months. Just happened to get lucky and get one. These rocker arms aren't only used on the Jeep Cherokee. They are also on Chevy's and are failing there also. Maybe you just haven't seen it at your dealership but it is very common on the 3.2. The camshaft didn't break - it was scored badly from being metal to metal with the rocker arm.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
karabryan
2015 KL Cherokee 

I get the brakes checked at every oil change. I did put tires on it but they were replaced after 110,000 miles and still had good tread on them. This has been a great ride and I hope for the price of a small house in our area, that 350,000 strictly highway miles isn't unreasonable.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 07:12 AM
andybe

#1 - GM - Chevy - does NOT - use the same rocker arms as a Chrysler - Chrysler uses a rocker shaft that all the rocker arms are mounted on - - GM does not - they are all mounted individually.

#2 - the rocker arm failure IS NOT COMMON on the Cherokee 3.2 liter engine - - BUT, is EXTREMELY common on chryslers 3.6 liter engine that is used in the grand cherokee, minivan's, chrysler 300 - so, all those cars get the ticking from upper end issue,

the reason yours failed is simply due to the extremly high mileage ( over 200.000 ) - - the part simply wore out.

i get this knowledge from being an extended warranty claims adjuster for 18 1/2 yrs - - - i get LOTS of warranty claims for the failed rocker arms on the 3.6 liter - - i haven't done 1 on the 3.2 liter
post #7 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 12:01 PM
stormer1092
2019 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybe View Post
#1 - gm - chevy - does not - use the same rocker arms as a chrysler - chrysler uses a rocker shaft that all the rocker arms are mounted on - - gm does not - they are all mounted individually.

#2 - the rocker arm failure is not common on the cherokee 3.2 liter engine - - but, is extremely common on chryslers 3.6 liter engine that is used in the grand cherokee, minivan's, chrysler 300 - so, all those cars get the ticking from upper end issue,

the reason yours failed is simply due to the extremly high mileage ( over 200.000 ) - - the part simply wore out.

I get this knowledge from being an extended warranty claims adjuster for 18 1/2 yrs - - - i get lots of warranty claims for the failed rocker arms on the 3.6 liter - - i haven't done 1 on the 3.2 liter
thank you.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 12:11 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would say at 213,000 miles it went past its design. no matter the oil. will it go another 100k? hard to believe it made it that far and brakes are still good? still on stock tires too..
Humbug. The ZJ 4.0 is over 240K, running fine. My 4.2 failed a main oil seal at 250K, it was still running strong but I used that as an excuse to swap in a remanufactured rather than disassemble and reassemble.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 02:02 PM
stormer1092
2019 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Humbug. The ZJ 4.0 is over 240K, running fine. My 4.2 failed a main oil seal at 250K, it was still running strong but I used that as an excuse to swap in a remanufactured rather than disassemble and reassemble.
My ZJ had well over 240k when I got rid of it. Went to a KL and couldn't be happier. I would take the power and fuel economy over the 4.0. I really do miss my 4.0 tho.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 03:50 PM
ForcedInduction
2019 KL Cherokee 

Cool

Quote:
....i get this knowledge from being an extended warranty claims adjuster for 18 1/2 yrs - - - i get LOTS of warranty claims for the failed rocker arms on the 3.6 liter - - i haven't done 1 on the 3.2 liter
I’m very happy for you, but quite a few KL 3.2s have had the rocker arm issue - as reported on numerous forums. Since the two engines are extremely similar other than their displacement, and there is at least an order of magnitude more 3.6s versus the more limited production 3.2, fewer reported problems with the latter are to be expected.

2019 Cherokee Limited
2.0 Hurricane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in