• 1 Post By DM9463
  • 2 Post By fryguy1114

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
OutdoorsFreak

Garage
New Jeep Cherokee Owner

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Jeep. I just bought a 2019 Cherokee Latitude Plus. I was in the market for an SUV, and as my username suggests, I'm pretty heavily into the outdoors lifestyle. I'm not looking to get into off-roading as an end to itself, but I wanted something with the capability to get me to remote trailheads and backcountry campgrounds. I also considered the Subaru Forester and the RAV4 Adventure. I wasn't too blown away by the Forester, and while the RAV4 was very nice, it was a little pedestrian and pretty high cost.

I was able to get a great deal on a Lat+ with the 3.2L motor and the Active Drive II package. The chance of saving several grand over the RAV4, plus the greater off-roading capability of the Cherokee decided me. So far I'm really liking it. It drives smoothly, handles great, the interior is comfortable, and it's got a nice array of features and technology. I just got back from testing out the 4WD for the first time and I was very impressed with what it did on the stock street tires. I briefly considered the Trailhawk, but I'm glad I didn't go that route. I think the Active Drive II is going to deliver all the off-roading capability I need.

If anyone has any advice on dos and don'ts, or any other helpful info for a new Jeep owner, I'd be really appreciative. I've never owned a Jeep, and I drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off, so hopefully the Cherokee lasts over the long term.

Mustangmike66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 PM
Kevin Burns

Another newbie here. We have a 2019 Cherokee Limited with the turbo 4 cyl. with Active Drive II to be used behind our RV. I've owned an 01 Cherokee, an 08 Wrangler and a few GCs over the years. This Cherokee is surprising because it's really sipping that 91 octane. On the first tank with a green engine, it got over 24 mpg in town (calculated and computer). The EPA rating is just 20. Despite the best efforts of the transmission, the engine is nicely torquey, but easy to catch flat footed.
OutdoorsFreak likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 PM
fryguy1114
2017 KL Cherokee 

Welcome. Your Cherokee is a great outdoors vehicle. I have a 2017 Trailhawk and it's my daily driver, but use it a lot off road with my Jeep group. Though I'm now transitioning to overlanding (Jeep camping), I have taken my Cherokee on some very difficult off-road trails that have surprised many Wrangler owners. It'll do well, but you need to know it's limits as it's not quite as robust as a Wranger, haha.

I have a 2.4L Trailhawk and am getting about 21 mpg city/highway. It could be a tad more, but I'm also hauling around a cargo roof rack, ladder, step rails, all my recovery gear etc. around full time. I also have two lifts and some heavier 31.6" A/T tires.

For me, mileage is secondary to off-road performance. So I'm happy with the 21mpg

2017 Cherokee TH, Dobinsons Suspension, Hazard Sky TH Lift, RRO Step Rails

post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 05:21 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Welcome...as to the Do's and Don'ts its too late for the Don't BUY A JEEP warning HAHA...they're quite fun and capable and you'll quickly find things you want to add, change, upgrade, etc....I really hope you lose your wallet for several years otherwise it'll be well umm empty of cash. I've never been the type to modify my vehicles so never has bothered me, but many people really get into them and start doing all sorts of stuff.

Biggest DO: Keep it maintained properly, and keep it clean. If you go offroad a lot keep it washed and all the dirt and mud off of it, which alone is quite a chore, just about need a lift so you can get under it with a pressure washer.

I do not know much about the newer/new Jeeps, so I can't really comment much about them specifically, more general vehicle based. I'm on my 2nd ZJ, my previous one is still running around the state with well over 500k on it now....so I know the older ones will run 20+ years when properly taken care of, I'd think the new ones would do the same if you can keep on top of the maintenance and I'm sure they still have electrical/electronic gremlins which is about the only downfall at least in the older ones.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2019, 09:13 AM
DM9463
2015 KL Cherokee 

Outdoorsfreek; I am sure you have chosen well for your needs with this Jeep, it will serve you well.

I have a KL Limited with the Activedrive II and trailer package so the ground clearance is >1" below the Trailhawk so I only miss the rear locker (needed for more serious off-road driving) and the heavy skid plates. In return my Cherokee is quieter around town and on the highway plus slightly better fuel economy.

For your trail head camping you may want to upgrade your tires and think about roof rails and storage box. Best of luck out there and keep Jeeping
post #6 of 8 Old 03-31-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
OutdoorsFreak

Garage
Apologies on the delayed response. Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. I'm up to 600 miles on the odometer and the Cherokee is a joy to drive. I'm currently showing 27.5mpg average fuel economy off the computer, which I'm pretty impressed with. Having said that, I am taking it very easy on the throttle to see what kind of fuel economy I can get. I always look forward to driving it. So far it seems like a very well put together vehicle.

I can definitely see how a Jeep can impact your wallet long term lol. I'm about to order all-weather floor and trunk liners, and I plan to also get the crossbars for the roof rails and add tow hooks and at least a front skid plate. A buddy of mine who's in to off-roading told me I need A/T tires, which I plan to get. I just want a set of light A/Ts because I don't want my fuel economy to take a noticeable hit. As I said before, I'm not looking to get into off-roading as an end in itself. But I realize A/Ts will give me better grip and improved protection from a sidewall puncture. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

I also want to add a full size spare. Has anyone else done this? It's a factory option so I imagine it will fit in the back, I just don't know if I need to replace the molding.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM
fryguy1114
2017 KL Cherokee 

I have a '17 Trailhawk that comes with a full sized spare, but with a steely rim. I swapped it out for a Trailhawk rim and now do a 5 wheel rotation.

As for tires, you really can't go wrong with a decent A/T tire. Though my stock Firestone Destination A/T's were good on-road, they lacked a bit off-road for the type of terrain I drive on. So when I bought that 5th wheel, I also purchased 5 Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. They are as good or better than the stock Destinations on road, but much better off-road. The was no difference in road noise either.
Attached Thumbnails
SIGJ9621.jpg  

2017 Cherokee TH, Dobinsons Suspension, Hazard Sky TH Lift, RRO Step Rails
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2020, 07:10 PM
speedbrake
1994 ZJ 

Fryguy1114, are you able to keep that 245/75/17 spare in its designated spot (and still close the cargo lid) or does it reside somewhere else? I have the 2014 Limited and the spare tire well will only fit a max diameter of about a 30.25" tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in