11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 Old 12-05-2015, 10:59 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahamm View Post
I found a resource on another forum, that has a list of all of the TSBs for the KL Cherokee. Perusing this list, it would appear that the latest TSBs that specifically discuss transmission or shifting refer to Cherokees with certain ordering codes 2.4L engines built on or before June 16, 2015, and other ordering code 2.4L engines built on or before February 16, 2015; and Cherokees with the 3.2L engine built on or before May 4, 2015.

So I am assuming that if you have a V6 and it was built after May 4, 2015, you are less likely to have an issue.

The TSB list I found is here: http://www.**********.org/f76/tsb-an...kee-71873.html

that should read j e e p g a r a g e
Looks like that I had come up just a bit short from the safe zone. My V6 TH build date is April 22 2015. BUT, after putting over 1800 miles in 3 weeks from highway miles, dirt, snow, and even some rock crawling I still have had no issues as of yet.

EDITED 01/22/2016;
The build date for my Jeep is 01/22/2015, which makes it today being it's 1 year birthday!

Last edited by remmons; 01-22-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added the EDIT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 PM
mmahamm
2015 KL Cherokee 

Remmons, you could still be in the "safe zone," as you put it. I don't recall what the TSB was that mentioned May 4 2015, but it may have just been addressing minor problems.
post #63 of 75 Old 12-07-2015, 02:42 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Remmons, you could still be in the "safe zone," as you put it. I don't recall what the TSB was that mentioned May 4 2015, but it may have just been addressing minor problems.
You're right, I believe that I am in the safe zone. The only recall that I've had was for the Uconnect, which was effective in July. Everything about my Trailhawk has performed or functioned flawlessly. I truly believe that I have a marvel of engineering.

post #64 of 75 Old 12-08-2015, 01:43 PM
mmahamm
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
You're right, I believe that I am in the safe zone. The only recall that I've had was for the Uconnect, which was effective in July. Everything about my Trailhawk has performed or functioned flawlessly. I truly believe that I have a marvel of engineering.
I'm right there with you. Don't have any specific worries or concerns. My only concern is a general one, that there is so much complicated **** in this "marvel of engineering" that there are more things that can go wrong!

Last edited by chris87xj; 12-09-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: please do not bypass the forum censor, thanks
post #65 of 75 Old 12-08-2015, 06:46 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I'm right there with you. Don't have any specific worries or concerns. My only concern is a general one, that there is so much complicated **** in this "marvel of engineering" that there are more things that can go wrong!
I totally agree with you. Even though I opted for minimal electronics, I still got a fairly loaded package. Yes, I'm nervous with all of this technology, I'm believing that it's gotten better over the years (cross fingers).

Hey, at least I still have my old '68 Chevy if anything does go wrong with the Jeep.
post #66 of 75 Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM
JoeFaz
KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Open your drivers door, the plaque there in the door jam has the production date.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks!

2016 Trail Hawk V-6.

'99 GC LTD
4.7 (Gone to a new home).
post #67 of 75 Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Turbobearcat
2015 KL Cherokee 

What seems to be the common indicators that the trans is having an issue?
shaking or jerking or what? I have not seen anything except the light comes on the dash..

a thread with this information to what to look for if it happens would be extremely helpful to others.
post #68 of 75 Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM
screebasher

I was seriously looking at a Trailhawk but the transmission problems just put me off!
IMO Jeep should scrap this 9 speed tranny and just give people the most reliable tranny they have. I would take a 6spd traany as long as the thing could be abused off road and work and go 300,000 km.

People want stuff to work and be reliable not ever increasing number of gears with fancier programming!

Regards
Allan A
post #69 of 75 Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
screebasher

No offense intended to those who have the ZF 9SPD tranny. I hope Jeep does right for you guys.
post #70 of 75 Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM
larry0071

You have to realize that of the half million or so cherokee KL jeeps out there, very few have this issue. It's not like 50,000 have a failing transmission and your just about doomed to see this if you own one. But yes, it's a horrible pain to deal with if you are one of the unlucky ones.

2014 JK Willys Wheeler Firecracker Red
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk Mango Tango
post #71 of 75 Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
3.2L V6,
Comfort Group,
Convenience Group.
Build date, 01/22/2015.

Purchase date, November 11, 2015.
Odometer statement, 11 miles.

2-1/2 months and almost 5900 miles of trouble free service.
One oil change, one uConnect update, one TCM and one BCM update, still no issues. Still dependable enough to trust it driving over the Rocky Mountains in December.

I can't think of a better vehicle to own.

Robert.
post #72 of 75 Old 02-07-2016, 03:00 AM
screebasher

My tour around the internet re this ZF 9SPD tranny is that ZF changed the internals by using "dog clutches" as compared to their more successful ZF 8SPD.

So of course some are saying that it is a hardware design problem not just a software calibration problem.

Anybody of a more mechanical understanding like to wade in on that point?

Myself, I just wants things to work and be trouble free as I am sure FCA does also.
Keeping my 2014 Jeep Compass 6spd auto for now.
post #73 of 75 Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 AM
larry0071

I know that in the 2016 model year, there were mechanic changes and software updates. They have been on the roads for about 5 months, and I don't think there has been any issues with them yet. I've had mine (2016) since early October and the transmission is flawless. I would argue with some of the programming choices that they made, but I always feel that way on computer controlled transmissions.

2014 JK Willys Wheeler Firecracker Red
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk Mango Tango
post #74 of 75 Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 AM
screebasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
I know that in the 2016 model year, there were mechanic changes and software updates. They have been on the roads for about 5 months, and I don't think there has been any issues with them yet. I've had mine (2016) since early October and the transmission is flawless. I would argue with some of the programming choices that they made, but I always feel that way on computer controlled transmissions.

That's good to hear. Both the Cherokee and Renegade models are innovative and unique compared to all the cookie cutter competitors in each category.

My last wish would be factory ground clearance of 9.5 inches instead of 8.7.
post #75 of 75 Old 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM
18Fox20

Well, made it over 38k and the KL shutdown occurred this morning. Wife was driving to work when it happened. She restarted it and drove home. Dropped it off this afternoon. We'll see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in