Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. Is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Question Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. Is it worth it?

Hey all. When it comes to electrical and mechanical, I can easily figure these out. But when it comes to literature on additional Vehicle Protection Plan coverage, I'm lost.

I bought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a 7 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I just received an email today about if I would like to purchase a Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. Is this worth it, or is this just another additional unnecessary expense? I had reviewed all of the FAQs, and it seems to be a headache to use this plan if and when the need arises.

I'm looking for real world input from actual users and not what FCA wants me to hear.

Do any of you have it?

Is it worth it or not?

Robert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-03-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
While searching online I had came across this post located at;

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock...-257775/page2/

"After working for an extended warranty company(1sourceautowarranty.com, First Assured Warranty) who went out of business, I can say, I will never ever buy a warranty. What a bunch of crooks. The re-insurance company also went out of business. Company would approve work then deny the claim. They would send out investigators that would look for any reason to deny or cancel a claim such as over sized tires, aftermarket parts installed, or pre-existing conditions, or normal wear and tear where the common reasons to get out of paying a claim. Take the money you would have spent on the warranty stick it in a savings account. Draw from that as needed. For me, none of my vehicles remain stock, so I know any warranty would be voided the first time I try to use it.

In addition, if I keep a vehicle for an extended period, if something breaks I usually replace it with something better than factory to begin with. Just a chance to upgrade it."

I'll keep digging around online, but thus far it's falling in at 50/50, which to me is too great a risk.

Robert.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Stang_luvr
KL Cherokee 

Remmons,
In the past I would say no, but now that vehicles have gotten so much electronic gadgets on them, especially my KL TH, I opted for the warranty. I know some would say why, but for me it's a piece of mind. I drive a lot...I mean a lot...I bought my KL on 12/19/15 and already have 7600 miles on it. I will be out of factory warranty well before it's ever paid off. As of now there are really no major modifications that can be made to the KL, so I don't see a company being able to come back and say something failed due to aftermarket parts etc. So I did pay for the extended warranty. I hope I never need it. Kind of like auto insurance...I have to have it, but other than 2 glass claims and a deer accident, I haven't had to use it!!

Darryn
2016 Trailhawk aka "SilverHawk" Tow/Tech/Safety/Sunroof/Cold Weather/Painted Wheels

post #4 of 25 Old 03-03-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I like driving a lot as well, just not as much as you though. I'm currently at about 7200 miles since last November 11th, I'm still in the undecided mode at this time, but here in a few thousand miles I had better have a decision before my time is up.

Robert.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM
02tjsport
2014 KL Cherokee 

According tithe brochure I read, one benefit of the mopar vehicle protection is, it pays for rentals.

For me that is nice because my dealer doesn't provide a loaner, unless they screw up an installation and take longer than necessary. I have not bought the extended warranty but am considering since I got the flyer in the mail.

'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
post #6 of 25 Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
it may have been this extended warranty program or another one, but I have read somewhere that one of them only covered up to $75.00 an hour for Labor, anything over that was out of YOUR pocket. I have seen read (once again not sure of which) that your rental car was only covered for up to five days at a maximum of $35.00 PER day. I had read through three pages of search results, and I'm sure that these two topics were in one of the few EWPs that I had read. I'll do some digging again tomorrow and see where I had seen these at. I'm still hesitant on the part where they may not cover any warranty work if the Jeep has been modified and/or driven that is inconsistent with their typical driving styles, meaning that I doubt that they'll count moderate off road use as acceptable in their book.

Robert.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-04-2016, 05:36 AM
Stang_luvr
KL Cherokee 

Remmons, it's a Jeep. They rated is as trail rated for a reason. I think if they were to try and say you were using it in a manner not designed for you'd have a pretty good argument against that claim...I don't see where an extended warranty for a Cherokee TH would be different than that for a Rubicon!
remmons likes this.

Darryn
2016 Trailhawk aka "SilverHawk" Tow/Tech/Safety/Sunroof/Cold Weather/Painted Wheels
post #8 of 25 Old 03-04-2016, 10:09 PM
02tjsport
2014 KL Cherokee 

http://www.jeep.com/en/service-contr...lan_sales_faqs

'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
post #9 of 25 Old 03-04-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Thanks, but I've already read that, which is why I had stated this in my first post;

I'm looking for real world input from actual users and not what "they" (FCA) wants me to hear.

I appreciate your post though.

Robert.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-05-2016, 05:24 PM
horsecav
2014 KL Cherokee 

I typically keep my jeeps for a long time. I purchased the lifetime warranty from Chrysler for my 2014 Trailhawk because of all the electronics. First extended warranty I ever purchased. I would only buy a manufacturer's warranty because the chances are they will still be in business 10 years from now!!
remmons likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-06-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecav View Post
...I would only buy a manufacturer's warranty because the chances are they will still be in business 10 years from now!!
Very good point.

Robert.
post #12 of 25 Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 AM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

yes only a chrysler warranty. we purchased the lifetime warranty for our cherokee. auto electronics are expensive when they need replacing.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
yes only a chrysler warranty. we purchased the lifetime warranty for our cherokee. auto electronics are expensive when they need replacing.
^^ this
My warranty paid for itself the first time I used it.
Never thought I'd put a transmission in at low mileage,I have since learned alot about that one.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #14 of 25 Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I am not aware if the factory bumper to bumper warranty will cover the electronics or not, but I'm almost sure that it will cover the transmission. Am I incorrect on that?

Robert.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-08-2016, 05:38 PM
02tjsport
2014 KL Cherokee 

What is the factory warranty anyway?
36k bumper to bumper
100k powertrain (which should include cover from axle to engine IMO, so engine and tranny)
Then there is some warranty on corrosion

Tags
additional vehicle warranty , mopar vehicle protection plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in