Manual vs Dealership info - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Nancyebmn
2015 KL Cherokee 

Manual vs Dealership info

Getting my 1st oil change at 6600 miles on my 2015 Cherokee trailhawk and the guy checking me in tells me the warranty will be voided if I go by the 10000 miles for oil changes if my light doesn't come on. He said to not go by the manual. Anyone else get this info from their dealerships?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 04:09 PM
UTAH

My dealership does the same thing - even going so far to say I need to do the major 30,000 mile service at 20,000 miles. I just smile and say, "No, thank you."

Without getting into the legal details, we're covered if we do maintenance per the manual.

Bill

'97 Land Rover D90
'03 TJ Rubicon
'14 JK-8 Freedom Edition
'14 KL Cherokee Trailhawk
post #3 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Nancyebmn
2015 KL Cherokee 

It just bugs me how they think i'm an idiot. i told him I was going to need that in writing and then he says, well lets just get this oil changed and we can look into that. Lol.

post #4 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Nancyebmn
2015 KL Cherokee 

Come to think of it I have never had the oil change light come on in any of my vehicles. Do they really work? I get to thinking I should go in sooner I guess.
post #5 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 06:20 PM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
Mine responded with "It's so rare that people read the manual" when I mentioned that.

I've also heard the same people explain the new maintenance program to a little old lady who was convinced that she needed to bring her car in ever 3k.

It made me happy when I heard that.

If you find a good dealership, it makes all the difference in the world.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|
post #6 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Nancyebmn
2015 KL Cherokee 

So far I'm not impressed with this service dept. We'll see how future visits go.
post #7 of 38 Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I have never trusted any type of a service shop, especially quickie lube shops that has a high turnover rate of flunkies. I've ALWAYS performed my own oil changes, tune ups, and repairs. I've never had anyone do these things for me, only the TSB recalls. I'm one who trusts my own work, especially when I am miles away from civilization. The last thing that I need is a stripped oil pan bolt coming loose while in the mountains, especially in the winter. With this being said, I'm wondering if I am allowed to do my own oil changes, especially if I keep all documentation, including receipts?

Robert.
post #8 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 12:13 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyebmn View Post
It just bugs me how they think i'm an idiot. i told him I was going to need that in writing and then he says, well lets just get this oil changed and we can look into that. Lol.
I don't like it when select service centers BS to their customers when they go against what the service manual says, unless it's for a legitimate reason. I especially don't like it when select service centers are trying to take advantage of a woman in an instance that doesn't require any special service beyond the initial service request.

My local CDJR service center hates it when I tell them NO on a suggestion for an extra service outside of my TSB or recalls, for I can perform my own work and I can tell them that their "suggested service" is nothing more than BS.

Robert.
post #9 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 12:22 PM
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post

I don't like it when select service centers BS to their customers when they go against what the service manual says, unless it's for a legitimate reason. I especially don't like it when select service centers are trying to take advantage of a woman in an instance that doesn't require any special service beyond the initial service request.

My local CDJR service center hates it when I tell them NO on a suggestion for an extra service outside of my TSB or recalls, for I can perform my own work and I can tell them that their "suggested service" is nothing more than BS.
The guy people talk to isn't a mechanic. Service advisor equals failing salesman as far as skilled trades go.
post #10 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101gargoyles View Post
The guy people talk to isn't a mechanic. Service advisor equals failing salesman as far as skilled trades go.
Lol. So true. A salesman at my local dealership was let go just yesterday because "it just wasn't working out."

Robert.
post #11 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 12:53 PM
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Lol. So true. A salesman at my local dealership was let go just yesterday because "it just wasn't working out."
What? He lost his power to baffle the customers with bull****?
post #12 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101gargoyles View Post
What? He lost his power to baffle the customers with bull****?

Yep. Ironically this was the same salesman that said that I couldn't purchase a new Trailhawk for under $35,000.00 (he was trying to sell me the $41,000.00 models on his lot).

I drove three hours to a dealership in Salt Lake City for an equally equipped 2015 Trailhawk with only 11 miles on the clock for $34,191.00, at 0.9% interest to boot! Needless to say, he was furious because I had went elsewhere to save six grand on a vehicle of my choice meeting my criteria, and not a "salesman suggested" model.

Robert.
post #13 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Yep. Ironically this was the same salesman that said that I couldn't purchase a new Trailhawk for under $35,000.00 (he was trying to sell me the $41,000.00 models on his lot).

I drove three hours to a dealership in Salt Lake City for an equally equipped 2015 Trailhawk with only 11 miles on the clock for $34,191.00, at 0.9% interest to boot! Needless to say, he was furious because I had went elsewhere to save six grand on a vehicle of my choice meeting my criteria, and not a "salesman suggested" model.
Good work on your behalf. You're talking 6 grand after tax money so about 7500 or more before tax earnings and all those extra hours worked to give away to a goof.
post #14 of 38 Old 12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyebmn View Post
Getting my 1st oil change at 6600 miles on my 2015 Cherokee trailhawk and the guy checking me in tells me the warranty will be voided if I go by the 10000 miles for oil changes if my light doesn't come on. He said to not go by the manual. Anyone else get this info from their dealerships?
After some further thought, I could see this being true IF certain conditions exist, such as in severe duty situations or customer misuse (intentional or unintentional). But overall, I would trust the Owners Manual, that's why they publish it.

There is another thread on here where a customer had taken his Cherokee in for a simple scheduled maintenance but was taken for a ride after seeing a $700.00 service bill for unnecessary services. I'll find that thread and post it here under the EDIT. So if in doubt, do your research, read the Owners Manual, and most importantly, become familiar with your vehicle.

EDIT; December 17, 2015, 1:52 p.m. MST.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/...700-a-3493258/

Here is the part covered under Vehicle Maintenance. But I'm sure that you've probably read this.

MAINTENANCESCHEDULE

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle.

Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Instrument Cluster Warning Lights” in “What To Do In Emergencies” in this guide or “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” or “Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” in your Owners Manual on the DVD for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first.

Severe Duty All Models

Change Engine Oil at 4000miles(6,500km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty.

Robert.
post #15 of 38 Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Nancyebmn
2015 KL Cherokee 

I get the extreme climate suggestion for sure. But MN isn't extreme for anything, especially this sorry *** winter. No snow. And the fact that he is just the service advisor and not knowing too much, he shouldn't be making bizarre statements to customers. But luckily for me this isn't my 1st new car and I like to read. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in