Looking for lift kit experience and tire size for 2015 trailhawk - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jtec

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
SDNYOFFROADER18

Looking for lift kit experience and tire size for 2015 trailhawk

Does anyone know what size tires this can handle stock?
I was thinking about going up to 255 is that feasible?

Also, has anyone experimented with any of the following lift kits:
Rockyoutfitters
Hazard Sky and
MFC offroad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2018, 05:06 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

first ask jeep dealer the largest tire/wheel they can program the speedo ABS to accept.
SDNYOFFROADER18 likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

does going up .5 inch in diameter really require a lift?

post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 PM
fryguy1114
2017 KL Cherokee 

Here's what I came up with last year concerning tire sizes and Trailhawks. Each vehicle is slightly different, so please don't take this as gospel. The key issue for us is the tire width, not necessarily the height. In other words, you can go with a taller tire (keeping the same width) before needing to do any lifts of modifications. As for the speedo, Jeep can only recalibrate the speedo to the stock Trailhawk tire size of 245/65R17. There isn't any other way to accomplish this and no 3rd party company that can do this either.

TIRE SIZE INFORMATION - https://tiresize.com/comparison/
NOTE: these are just general assumptions. Your experience may be different depending on tire brand or model as well as your lift kit.

29.5" 245/65R17 - Trailhawk stock size
30.5” 245/70R17 - OK
30.6” 265/65R17 - OK w/spacer lift
31.1" 255/70R17 - OK w/spacer lift and liner stretch and/or pinch seam mod
31.5" 245/75R17 - OK w/spacer lift and liner stretch or pinch seam mod
31.6" 265/70R17 - OK w/spacer lift and liner stretch and/or pinch seam mod
31.8" 235/80R17 - OK w/spacer lift and pinch seam mod
32.1" 255/75R17 - OK w/spacer lift and pinch seam mod

2017 Cherokee TH, Dobinsons Suspension, Hazard Sky TH Lift, RRO Step Rails
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 PM
fryguy1114
2017 KL Cherokee 

As for lift kits, there are two types available for KL owners, spacer lifts and suspension lifts. There are only 3 companies making these and they were noted earlier, Hazard Sky and MFC make spacer lifts and Dobinson Springs makes the suspension lift. Both Hazard Sky and MFC are extremely similar, both have aluminum spacers (Hazard Sky also offers them in UHMW for a less cost), and both function the same way. The differences are that Hazard Sky uses two smaller rear spacers (one on the top of each rear spring and one on the bottom), while MFC uses a single larger one on the bottom. Hazard Sky will give you about 1.5" for a Trailhawk and MFC, I believe, will give you 2.5". The front lifts on both are the same procedure, but MFC does include a support collar for the strut. Hazard Sky does offer them if one wants peace of mind, but their benefitted use is a debated topic on the forums :wink:

Dobinson makes the suspension lift and includes rear springs and front struts/springs. You will get a 1" of lift with this kit. The benefit of using the Dobinson lift is that it can be combined with both Hazard Sky and MFC spacer lifts for additional lift. Some have done so, but risk additional wear and tear on the increased angled CVs and there are no real long term tests. So your mileage may vary.

Personally, I first got my Hazard Sky lift (UHMW) as it economically made sense to me. I could have gone with the aluminum, but knowing the history of Jeep lifts and how most are made of UHMW, I felt confident that UHMW would suffice. After running with those for about 10,000 miles, I then added the Dobinson suspension. So I have both installed for about 2.5" of lift. My CV angles were increased, but after over 15,000 miles on the combo lift, things appear to be ok (crosses fingers).

With both lifts, I should be able to move up to the 245/65R17 tire (31.5" in diameter) for an additional 1" of lift and a total of 3.5". I'm staying with the 245 width as I don't want to deal with modifying the pinch seam and a heat gun and reshaping the fender liner should be all that's necessary.

And lifts and tires will help your approach and departure angles :smile:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3478.jpg   The Slab3.jpg  
Attached Images

2017 Cherokee TH, Dobinsons Suspension, Hazard Sky TH Lift, RRO Step Rails
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 AM
terro20013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy1114 View Post
As for lift kits, there are two types available for KL owners, spacer lifts and suspension lifts. There are only 3 companies making these and they were noted earlier, Hazard Sky and MFC make spacer lifts and Dobinson Springs makes the suspension lift. Both Hazard Sky and MFC are extremely similar, both have aluminum spacers (Hazard Sky also offers them in UHMW for a less cost), and both function the same way. The differences are that Hazard Sky uses two smaller rear spacers (one on the top of each rear spring and one on the bottom), while MFC uses a single larger one on the bottom. Hazard Sky will give you about 1.5" for a Trailhawk and MFC, I believe, will give you 2.5". The front lifts on both are the same procedure, but MFC does include a support collar for the strut. Hazard Sky does offer them if one wants peace of mind, but their benefitted use is a debated topic on the forums :wink:

Dobinson makes the suspension lift and includes rear springs and front struts/springs. You will get a 1" of lift with this kit. The benefit of using the Dobinson lift is that it can be combined with both Hazard Sky and MFC spacer lifts for additional lift. Some have done so, but risk additional wear and tear on the increased angled CVs and there are no real long term tests. So your mileage may vary.

Personally, I first got my Hazard Sky lift (UHMW) as it economically made sense to me. I could have gone with the aluminum, but knowing the history of Jeep lifts and how most are made of UHMW, I felt confident that UHMW would suffice. After running with those for about 10,000 miles, I then added the Dobinson suspension. So I have both installed for about 2.5" of lift. My CV angles were increased, but after over 15,000 miles on the combo lift, things appear to be ok (crosses fingers).

With both lifts, I should be able to move up to the 245/65R17 tire (31.5" in diameter) for an additional 1" of lift and a total of 3.5". I'm staying with the 245 width as I don't want to deal with modifying the pinch seam and a heat gun and reshaping the fender liner should be all that's necessary.

And lifts and tires will help your approach and departure angles
Wow! That's an impressive climb..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2018, 09:18 PM
mchkc240

I know that for stock TH rims, the biggest you can run without ANY rubbing issue is 245/70/17. Anything bigger will cause the tires to rub on the inside of the wheel wells when the wheels are fully clocked or the suspension are at max articulation. Some people don't care if the tires rub against the wheel well, but some people do care. It is all about what you are okay with. I know some people have touch up paint ready whenever just to cover up the rub spot on the chassis itself.

Thanks for the good info, fryguy1114!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-09-2020, 12:18 PM
speedbrake
1994 ZJ 

Another aspect to consider is spare tire storage. If you plan on a full size spare in the stock trunk compartment, anything much larger than the Trailhawk 245/65/17 tire won't fit. That storage space will hold up to a max of about 30.3" diameter and a max tire width of about 10.2" (for the storage lid to still close).

Last edited by speedbrake; 09-09-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spare width info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in