LED's for new Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
rcoe
2012 JK Wrangler 

LED's for new Cherokee

Wife got her 16 Cherokee last week and I am thinking we need something a little better in the lighting dept. In her 12 JK we had HID headlights and LED driving lights and they worked very good, but the HID's did require some extra work to get them working correctly.

This time around I am thinking of going LED for both sets. Looks like the headlights use the 9006 bulb of which there are plenty LED variants, but the size of the bulb housing looks pretty large.

Anyone have any experience with LED's in these newer Cherokee's?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Kiwi Jeeper

2012 JK Wrangler 

Factory does fit HID headlamps, may be you can find a replacement OEM part?

'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
'15 KL Trailhawk V6 3.2L
post #3 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
The bigger question beyond "if they fit" is are the housings going to focus the light for them (HID's) properly, or is it just going to spray the light all over and blind oncoming traffic.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|

post #4 of 10 Old 10-14-2015, 02:35 PM
cappy5
2015 KL Cherokee 

Hi Guys, I have the Cherokee Unlimited CRD which has HID headlights, they use a shutter to make low beam so when you dip the top part of the the lighting is cut off so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic. It was different to older cars where going from low to high it was always brighter , HID stays the the same brightness. I do abit of country driving so fitted a LED lightbar to give more light as the HID don't give good distance for the animals on the road here,Cheers.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Tyler-98-W68
2014 WK 

The bulbs in your cherokee are HIR2 bulbs. In a projector housing. The housing isn't the same as the HID housings that come on the limited KLs. You will need some resistors wired in line to the led headlights otherwise you will get bulb out warnings and flickering

2014 Grand Cherokee 5.7| ORA2 LUX Group
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
rcoe
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes I had HID's with the resistors in a 2012 JK, I am just looking at going with LED's this time as they are not as much of a wiring hassle and have a much longer bulb life.

These are what I am looking at. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._cart_vw_2_4_p
post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Tyler-98-W68
2014 WK 

It might not be in your price range, but GTR's 2nd Gen LED headlights are a fantastic option, the tough call is that they are pretty expensive. One upside with them is that there is no separate ballast to run making the install a bit cleaner.

http://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-light...0-lumen-bulbs/

I run the H11 kit in my Compass

2014 Grand Cherokee 5.7| ORA2 LUX Group
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-2015, 04:38 PM
SamDoe1
2015 KL Cherokee 

1.) The US market TH does not have optional HID headlights like they do in other markets.
2.) The halogen projector is not going to be good enough to focus the intensity of the HID bulb. Halogen projectors are designed to bleed light above the cutoff to illuminate road signs in the distance. This is bad if you have a higher intensity bulb.
3.) You can retrofit the HID headlights from the Limited into the TH but it's not cheap if you buy new parts. You may be able to find parts off of wrecked KL's but they aren't as plentiful yet.
4.) You can remove and replace the halogen projector in your housing for a HID projector but it takes some amount of effort, skill, and bravery to do so. Also, your Jeep will be out of commission while you do this.
5.) An alternative is to buy halogen housings from a wrecked KL to do #4.
6.) No matter what you do, you'll need some form of a relay system to power the ballast and igniter as well as a resistor and capacitors to interface with the Jeep's electronics.

theretrofitsource.com has everything you could ever need to do the swap for good prices. They have harnesses, relays, capacitors, resistors, projectors, ballasts, bulbs, etc... They have kits for Mopar applications, I suggest going with those.

I'll be doing a swap in the future once I get some time to do the job.

Good luck!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Sinisterod

Interesting thread....I'm following this for sure. Just picked up a TH for the wife and the lighting is subpar in my opinion so looking for upgrade options like LED bulbs replacements HIDs etc. I'm looking at a lightbar but that isn't always traffic friendly. Has anyone done an LED bulb replacement in the factory housing? wondering how the projector will control and distribute the light pattern from LED vrs halogen.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2015, 09:54 PM
slotcar

On my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited, I have the "Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps" that came with the Luxury Group.
Quite impressive, excellant throw and very bright.
They auto-dim when they detect another car coming towards you [configurable in settings].

- 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited
- 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in