Hooking up a camera - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2021, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Milner

Hooking up a camera

I just bought my 2015 Cherokee yesterday. And wanted to mount my camera on the windshield.

Does the A pillar just pop off? I didnít want to force it and break anything.

And, my camera just plugs into the power port. But, the wire is short. So I bought an external power port to use. It I have to plug into the fuse panel. Is there a certain slot I can plug into? Iím afraid of frying something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2021, 04:11 AM
cohocarl1

Hi Milner,
Just run across your post. Did you get your dashcam mounted & wired? I mounted one on my son's '16 & hardwired it last year. I can post some pics of it & where I tapped into the 12v of how I did his if needed.

Ordered 6/7/18:
Mojito!, 2dr, S, 6-sp M, Posi, Tech, P Soft top
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2021, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Milner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohocarl1 View Post
Hi Milner,
Just run across your post. Did you get your dashcam mounted & wired? I mounted one on my son's '16 & hardwired it last year. I can post some pics of it & where I tapped into the 12v of how I did his if needed.
No I didnít!! Photos would be awesome!! I honestly just got my Jeep back two days ago. Someone decided to run into it!! Ugh

post #4 of 5 Old 10-14-2021, 01:41 PM
cohocarl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milner View Post
Someone decided to run into it!! Ugh
That sucks. Hope all is well.

I've installed 3 or 4 different dashcams in our vehicles over the last few years and my memory isn't my strong point...so here it goes from what I can remember.

I mounted his to the right of center, behind his rear view mirror so it wouldn't block his view and the camera doesn't pick up the blackout/heated area on the windshield.
Tucked the power lead up in the headliner and down the driver's side pillar trim. (what I can't remember is how I got the lead down to the rubber wire harness pass-through which is above & L of the brake pedal.
His dashcam needs a constant 12V, and a switch accessory 12v, so I ran two leads through the little nipple at the top of the pass-through grommet. You first need to stick an ice pick or similar through it to be able to get the wires through. (pierced nipple...)
I can't remember which one is which, but I used piggyback fuse taps on F60, and F75 (one hot, one switched with accessory). And the ground wire was attached somewhere under the dash.
The excess bundle of wire & stuff were zip tied & put behind the small fold down cubby by your left knee. open it, then pull up off of it's hinges. Kind of snaps off.

Like I said above, his had it's own wiring harness that needed both constant 24/7 12v, and switched 12v. The others I have installed used 5V USB power. On those hard wire installs, I picked up a 12v to usb adapter from Amazon & hid it up under the dash.

This is how I did his install, but I'm sure there are other ways. I wanted it out of his view, and not look too tacky.
I posted some pics of how I installed the one in my Honda Passport on that forum and had someone voice concerns of compromising the airbag on the A pillar. The lead is only tucked into the trim enough to keep it from falling out and not shoved in with an ice pic, and I'm not too concerned about a tooth pic diameter sized wire in the event it deploys. But something to consider.

Good luck & hope the repairs on your Cherokee are done well.
Attached Thumbnails
dc1.jpg   dc2.jpg   dcw.jpg   dcpt.jpg  

Ordered 6/7/18:
Mojito!, 2dr, S, 6-sp M, Posi, Tech, P Soft top
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Milner

Thanks so much!! I truly appreciate that!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in