Delay from pedal pushed to exceleration. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
man4mopar

Delay from pedal pushed to exceleration.

Searched as well as I was able and came up short. My wife and I test drove two AWD 2020 Cherokee's yesterday, first 2.0 turbo and second v6. Both did well taking off and doing normal driving. Driving the 2.0 turbo first I noticed while on the highway if you hit the go pedal to pass it hesitates for what feels like 5 seconds likely 1 second reality. I am familiar with turbo lag and didn't feel like that. Test drove the V6 next and it did the same thing so thinking is something else.

I am assuming is fly by wire and the system doesn't apply power till it decides what gear to go into and is a delay in the 9spd transmission shifting then when it shifts and gives the ok to apply go pedal it rockets off.

I am familiar with automatic transmissions delay in shifting but this is excessive in my opinion. We only test drove 2 and they both did it. We can not be the only to experience that, have you experienced this and what is the remedy if there is one?

I thank you for your time and thoughts.

Josh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 09:04 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

that downshift thrill A V8 a quadrajet and a turbo 400, long gone BUT they have seat warmers .

Fly by wire is likely issue, nothing wrong just the nature of the beast add to that the turbo lag it would seem a LONG time, add a diesel and your asleep.

remedy is drive style, anticipate.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
man4mopar

Thank you Jtec much appreciated. Had high hopes for the Cherokee but that delay from depressing pedal to actual go is very disappointing. Same delay for both turbo 2.0 as the natural aspirated V6, interestingly the 2.0 turbo came in stronger so would choose it over the v6. I find myself giving the positive check-mark of driving performance to the Mazda CX-5 2.5 turbo 6spd automatic pairing, which is responsive to pedal depression at take off and random at speed acceleration.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 07:48 PM
ForcedInduction
2019 KL Cherokee 

Cool

This delay is well known, it is the long downshift time which makes acceleration at speed seem laggy. The transmission in all KLs uses dog clutches for several gears which requires it to wait until the dogs align before shifting. The speed you are going when downshifting makes a difference. Same issue with the 2.4 and 3.2 engines.

The actual turbo lag is relatively small with the 2.0, this is demonstrated by using Autostick in an appropriate gear and going WOT. Most of the minimal lag is due to the throttle programming. Reading the manifold pressure while driving shows minimal boost delay.

2019 Cherokee Limited
2.0 Hurricane
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
man4mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
This delay is well known, it is the long downshift time which makes acceleration at speed seem laggy. The transmission in all KLs uses dog clutches for several gears which requires it to wait until the dogs align before shifting. The speed you are going when downshifting makes a difference. Same issue with the 2.4 and 3.2 engines.

The actual turbo lag is relatively small with the 2.0, this is demonstrated by using Autostick in an appropriate gear and going WOT. Most of the minimal lag is due to the throttle programming. Reading the manifold pressure while driving shows minimal boost delay.

Thank you ForcedInduction for taking the time to give thoughts and experience, much appreciated! We did not try using auto-stick or other shifting modes, just drove from start up. Are you stating it is worth trying out in auto-stick as it is improved?

My wife asked if the delay was a reliability concern and I stated I believe it actually adds reliability to the transmission but is annoying while driving. I know it would annoy myself in congested traffic when I want to punch it through an opening in traffic.

If auto-stick actually holds a gear like a manual valve body automatic transmission that would be great. I didn't even try as most automatics I have driven with manual select will still choose other gears other than user selected making it pointless in my opinion.

Again thank you for your time, we will likely test drive again trying auto-stick.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 PM
ForcedInduction
2019 KL Cherokee 

I use Autostick a lot and it does help. But to be frank, this ZF transmission is not the best driving transmission. It is used in Hondas, Land Rovers and more but by its design is nothing like the ZF in my 392 Challenger, or even in the current Wrangler (same design). Those allow almost instant part throttle downshifts and while they have Autostick most won’t need it for daily driving.

If it sounds like I don’t like my KL I actually do. For me it is almost perfect for my needs, the transmission just highlights how good the rest is. Would I buy it again? Sure, but I’d hope they used a different transmission.

2019 Cherokee Limited
2.0 Hurricane
post #7 of 10 Old 10-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

I know what you mean about this delay/lag, and definitely normal for the 9-speed.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-31-2019, 09:26 PM
stormer1092
2019 KL Cherokee 

Again what other people are saying. Delay is normal in all drive by wire vehicles. Some better then others. Plus the 9 speed is jerky from a stop. FCA are always updating these TCMs to help. People still complain all the time.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-02-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
man4mopar

Thank you everyone for taking time to comment and share experiences. Megan decided on the 2020 Cherokee, signed papers and drove off with it on the 30th. ForcedInduction the auto-stick really does improve the driving so thank you. Megan is grinning ear to ear and loving it.

My post count isn't enough to place images here so if interested can view them here. jeepforum.com/forum/members/man4mopar/albums/wifes-2020-cherokee-high-altitude/
post #10 of 10 Old 11-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Tyler-98-W68
2016 KL Cherokee 

What really helps the ZF9 is a custom TCM programming through HP Tuners, i've got 2 cherokee both tuned and its a whole different vehicle after tuning.

2016 Trailhawk 3.2L | Player3 Tuned Via HP Tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in