Cherokee shudder - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
dzbear

Angry Cherokee shudder

just got a new 2016 Cherokee Limited...since day one I have a shudder/vibrate when accelerating from a stop to between 15 mph up a hill and more so with wheels cut to right. There is no shimmy in the steering wheel...almost like something loose under hood. anyone else have this issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 03:32 PM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I haven't heard of that issue. If it's easily reproducible, I'd probably just take a tech at your dealership of choice for a ride and see what they have to say about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Oh, and welcome to JF!

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|
post #3 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 05:43 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I do believe that this was covered elsewhere, but I can't recall where I've seen it though. But, this post on the Exhaust Sound thread may just be what you're experiencing, by the sounds of things. This may not be what it is, but hey, at least this is something to look into further.

EDIT; For clarity, the link that I had posted above was a post by JeepCares regarding a TSB for front end vibration.

Robert.

Last edited by remmons; 01-13-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added EDIT.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 PM
18Fox20

Search under "shakes under acceleration" for info. Turning off traction control helps in some cases. May also be bad axle shaft.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzbear View Post
just got a new 2016 Cherokee Limited...since day one I have a shudder/vibrate when accelerating from a stop to between 15 mph up a hill and more so with wheels cut to right. There is no shimmy in the steering wheel...almost like something loose under hood. anyone else have this issue?
Hey dzbear,

TSB 21-001-16 may relate to your vehicle:
SUBJECT:
Flash: Transmission Diagnostic And Shift Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with the
latest available software.
MODELS:
2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee
NUMBER: 21-001-16
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: January 06, 2016
NOTE: **The RRT protion of this bulletin applies to vehicles within the following
markets/countries: US Market only.**
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries:
NAFTA, EMEA, LATAM and APAC.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before September 22, 2015 (MDH
0922XX) equipped with a 2.4L Engine (Sales Code ED6) and a 9 Speed
Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DFH or DFJ).
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before October 02, 2015 (MDH
1002XX) equipped with a 3.2L Engine (Sales Code EBH) and a 9 Speed
Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DFH or DFJ).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
2.4L Engine (Sales Code ED6)
Some customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon
further investigation, a technician may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
stored in the TCM memory:
P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance.
In addition, some customers may experience one or more of the following conditions:
Less than desired low speed drivability and response to accelerator pedal input.
Less than desired 5-4 coast down transmission shift quality.
Less than desired transmission shift quality.
Transmission is slow to upshift after releasing the accelerator pedal.
3.2L Engine (Sales Code EBH)
Some customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon
further investigation, a technician may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
stored in the TCM memory:
P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance.
In addition, some customers may experience one or more of the following conditions:
Less than desired low speed drivability and response to accelerator pedal input.
Less than desired 5-4 coast down transmission shift quality.
Less than desired transmission shift quality.
Less than optimal transmission shift timing, driving up and down hills.
Less than desired Engine Stop/Start re-engagement or smoothness.
Transmission is slow to upshift after releasing the accelerator pedal.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-14-2016, 04:10 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I'm going to be the wrench that is thrown into the gears here.

Ryan, your TSB post doesn't quite describe what the OP dzbear is describing. Although I'm no expert, I am quite familiar with not only Jeeps of all sorts, but also FWD and AWD vehicles as well. What the OP is stating is exactly the same as what my 2002 Liberty Sport with the 3.7L V6 was doing before the right front CV shaft was replaced. Once the CV shaft was replaced, no more low speed vibration or thumping.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but this is my diagnosis based on the information given. If I need to crawl back in to my garage and hide I will.

Robert.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 PM
UTAH

Informative reading. I hadn't heard of this issue before. That's what's great about this forum. I learn something every time I come here.

Bill

'97 Land Rover D90
'03 TJ Rubicon
'14 JK-8 Freedom Edition
'14 KL Cherokee Trailhawk
post #8 of 19 Old 01-15-2016, 04:44 AM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
TSB SB-03-003-15 comes to mind for this condition. I don't see this active for the 2016 model year yet, but I do foresee a TSB coming out this year to cover said model year as this condition becomes more prevalent.

To be honest, I'm surprised that this condition wasn't prevalent during the test drive, unless the conditions weren't evident at the time.

Robert.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-15-2016, 11:07 AM
cyandvai
2014 KL Cherokee 

Remmons, could that TSB you posted cause the Traction Control light to flash when it happens?
I've felt something (that could possibly be considered a shudder) while accelerating at low speeds, usually when it happened the Traction Control light would come on (all this while in auto)
post #10 of 19 Old 01-15-2016, 12:20 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyandvai View Post
Remmons, could that TSB you posted cause the Traction Control light to flash when it happens?
I've felt something (that could possibly be considered a shudder) while accelerating at low speeds, usually when it happened the Traction Control light would come on (all this while in auto)
As for the illumination of the Traction Control light, I am not seeing anything at this time. But I will continue to research and monitor this condition as time goes.

Robert.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
dzbear

Thanks all for the replies...for the record I had a different Jeep for a 4 day trial before I got this one (color and options changes) so I never test drove this...however, I can't get the problem to occur at the dealer as they are on the shoreline and have no hills...I live in an extremely hilly area 40 miles away...The dealer did 2 updates, Transmission Control and Powertrain Control....neither helped, but again I couldn't tell until I got home...the mechanic suggested turning off Traction Control and see if the problem still occurred...it did but not as severely...I'm not comfortable leaving the traction control off as the New England weather isn't so great right now...guess I'll be going back to the dealer
post #12 of 19 Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
dzbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
As for the illumination of the Traction Control light, I am not seeing anything at this time. But I will continue to research and monitor this condition as time goes.
My Traction Control light does not come on when this happens...and as I stated in another post, shutting off the Traction Control improved but not solved the issue
post #13 of 19 Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 AM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
...however, I can't get the problem to occur at the dealer...
That's just it. It seems that no matter what, the dealer can never replicate the problem, no matter what the situation is. So is it only in our heads like they think it is? No it's not.

I love today's technology, we can turn our cell phones into video proof of things that actually do occure and show those who disbelieve that this stuff actually happens. I'm wondering if you could use your cell phone mounted somewhere that can pick up on your jeeps condition as it occurred.

Robert.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 AM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
My Traction Control light does not come on when this happens...and as I stated in another post, shutting off the Traction Control improved but not solved the issue
Which tells me that this is a mechanical issue and that the dealer won't do anything (until there's a proven fault and also that there's a valid TSB for your Jeep)

Robert.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
dzbear

Robert, I've had friends in the vehicle when it did it but you really can't notice a visible shake. Our mechanic here at work used to work on a lot of Chrysler vehicles and he told me that the Cherokees are still having an axle issue...he suggested telling the dealer to swap out for bigger axles. Of course, I'm sure they won't until I make a big enough stink which I can and will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in