9 speed transmission, is #9 a ghost? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 69 Old 02-13-2016, 05:20 PM
NatasMaximus
2015 KL Cherokee 

This would not even be a issue if you could manually shift the gears. This is the only vehicle I have ever driven where you had the gear plus/minus option but can't actually select them :-/

2015 granite crystal trailhawk dark side editon v6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
davesaints
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasMaximus View Post
This would not even be a issue if you could manually shift the gears. This is the only vehicle I have ever driven where you had the gear plus/minus option but can't actually select them :-/

Yes, sort of invalidates the plus/minus feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #48 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 11:29 AM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
How many automatic transmissions are out there that you can manually shift it into your desired gear? All I've seen are the ones that to put it simple, you can manually downshift into the next lower gear (thus preventing the upshift). Isn't that basically the same idea as on the ZF9, but electronically controlled instead of cable actuated?

In the end, even though there is a night and day difference between my 1968 Chevy C10 with the TH400 automatic and my 2015 Trailhawk with the ZF9 except for the difference in mechanicals and operation, they both can be manually downshifted to prevent the next gear upshift.

Robert.

post #49 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 AM
buckeyedolfan

2015 KL Cherokee 

Cars with paddle shifters.....?
post #50 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 AM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedolfan View Post
Cars with paddle shifters.....?
Ok. You got me there. But I can't see paddles on a Jeep...

Robert.
post #51 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 11:44 AM
buckeyedolfan

2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Ok. You got me there. But I can't see paddles on a Jeep...
Why not? You don't have to use them as far as I know.
post #52 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 12:14 PM
buckeyedolfan

2015 KL Cherokee 

JEEP Grand Cherokee have a paddle shifter option.
post #53 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 03:37 PM
NatasMaximus
2015 KL Cherokee 

A lot of peeps at my work have the plus/minus option and you can select any gear that way,as long as it's not a over rev or stall,then it will upshift or down shift accordingly. To prevent damage to the drive train. They are not paddle shifters but on the gear shifter.

post #54 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 04:07 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Paddle shifters are for those who understand how to use them. With that in mind, the Jeep Cherokee was designed to meet the needs of the masses, and not the specific few. Those who understand how to operate the paddle shifter can drive any car, but not every driver can drive a paddle shifted car. Much like with a manual transmission, anybody can drive an automatic, but not everyone can drive a stick shift.

The Cherokee transmission is designed with the average consumer in mind, not only for fuel efficiency, but also for ease of operation. If it was built overly complicated, how many people would have bought it? Of course it does have its limitations, but for many of us, it fits our needs just fine.
post #55 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 05:58 PM
NatasMaximus
2015 KL Cherokee 

Well Rems, I would not have any issue with this except. I bought the Trailhawk as another toy. I did not need a new vehIcle and was not looking for one. Saw it and thought it was cool,so added it to my toys and the salesman said it had a semiautomatic gear box. My bad for not doing more research. As for people who can't drive a semi automatic gear box. It's not my fault they are lame and that's a kind word I'm using. It's like the whole world just bows down to the ignorant and slow. Let's just keep dumbing down.

post #56 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 PM
golf

I don't see the issue with not being able to manually shift up. I can understand shifting down on demand for fun, however. As far as I know, and I haven't tried this myself, the "manual" shifter on our vehicles is capable of shifting down on demand by setting the maximum gear. Obviously, it won't shift into 2nd at 75, but you get the point.
post #57 of 69 Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasMaximus View Post
Well Rems, I would not have any issue with this except. I bought the Trailhawk as another toy. I did not need a new vehIcle and was not looking for one. Saw it and thought it was cool,so added it to my toys and the salesman said it had a semiautomatic gear box. My bad for not doing more research. As for people who can't drive a semi automatic gear box. It's not my fault they are lame and that's a kind word I'm using. It's like the whole world just bows down to the ignorant and slow. Let's just keep dumbing down.
I get where you're coming from, and that is perfectly fine. I on the other hand was getting tired of making payments on an older vehicle that constantly required repairs and a quart of oil on every or every other gas fill up. So after much research on a few select vehicles my choice was the Cherokee Trailhawk, for it had met most all of my needs. Of course the heavily noted transmission issues had played a part in my decision process, which may have delayed my decision, but not prevent my decision. So to speak, my vehicle is a necessity, not a toy.

I was not one to readily accept that the shifter technology was not my first choice, nor was the lack of an actual transfer case lever, but the rotating 4WD selector knob was not necessarily a bad thing, especially since this seems to be the route that the automotive industry is taking as engineering advancements progress. So with this said, the shifter may have been a minor disadvantage, but it was not a deal breaker.
post #58 of 69 Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 PM
NatasMaximus
2015 KL Cherokee 

Sorry guys, I was just ranting last night. I had just seen a news special about how everyone needs help and cant think on their own last night and it bums me out to see our society headed down that path. As for my Trailhawk it gets 9 out of 10 stars. I have to admit its a pretty cool ride with some odd quirks. I would be awesome to manually shift into 8th gear,but mine is seeing it more now. hopefully it stays that way.

post #59 of 69 Old 02-15-2016, 06:27 PM
18Fox20

I love the way it performs as long as it is operating properly. Just spent about 6 minutes trying to get the CJ out of 4-lo. Literally sweating and grunting. The dial on the KL is awesome. As long as the transmission and ptu hold up I'll sing its praises. The CJ is a beast of a toy, but you gotta be willing to work.
post #60 of 69 Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
davesaints
2015 KL Cherokee 

I see 8th fairly regular, still never seen 9th. I don't really care that much, but was a 9 speed and would have been nice if there was some way to manually shift into 9th once and a while. I am happy with my trans and 1-8 are doing a fine job to-date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in