2014 Cherokee 20k service $700+ !?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
ScrewedByDealer
2014 KL Cherokee 

2014 Cherokee 20k service $700+ !?!

Hi
I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L and took it into the Walnut Creek, CA Jeep dealership and the charged me $711.21 for a 20k service. Labor $525, parts $170.19, Misc $1.55, tax 14.47. I know that it is a dealership and expect to pay more but feel $711.21 was a bit much. This is my first jeep, is there something I am missing about servicing these vehicles and why it cost so much? Or did I just get royally screwed if so what should the cost have been?

What was done:
-Replace engine oil (6 qts.)
-Replace engine oil filter
-Oil Hazardous waste disposal
-Tire rotation
-Replace cabin air filter 6-cyl.
-Refill windshield washer fluid
-Check and top off all fluid levels
-Multipoint inspection
-4 wheel alignment
-4 wheel balance
-Add Fuel system treatment and oil conditioner
-Battery protection service
-Fuel induction / throttle body service

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM
18Fox20

You MUST be kidding. Can't bring myself to believe it. $100 at most.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-10-2015, 08:23 PM
TJorange
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Look man, you got screwed. Im all for taking care of vehicles, its what I do as a technician. On a new car like what you have, im going to assume its got less than 30,000 miles, just change the oil and filters. Why did you need an alignment? Was the car pulling one way or another? I doubt it. Why did the tires get balanced? Were you experiencing a shimmy or wobble? Doubtful. Induction service is not needed at this stage of the game, your car is too new to need it. Your Jeep should need nothing more than the oil changed and tires rotated at this stage of its life. That stuff like washer fluid and inspection, most shops offer for free to each car that rolls through the door so I hope you didnt pay extra for that. Shop supplies and oil service fee or whatever they call it is just another way to fluff the bill. Now, nothing that you did here will hurt your Jeep. I just hate that this happened to you because this is what gives guys like myself a bad reputation. I hope that you can find an honest mechanic that you can trust.

TJorange

post #4 of 24 Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 AM
DragonMaxx
2015 KL Cherokee 

If you look at the owner's manual on page 646-647 it shows you the recommended items that need checked/replaced. For 20K miles they should have just inspected the CV joints, front suspension, boots, seals, tie rod ends, brake linings and parking brake function. The only item that should have been replaced was the cabin air filter. Maybe they found something while doing the inspection that prompted them to do an alignment.

Does your dealership offer any kind of engine/vehicle protection plan? Mine has a "lifetime engine warranty" and at 15K miles they said I needed the fuel injection system cleaned and that it would be $200. I called several repair shops and all of them said that the dealer was just trying to get money out of me for services that weren't really needed. They also want me to get the oil changed every 5K miles even if the oil life is still good (as indicated in the drivers information center on the dashboard). I do get the done at the dealer because it is a free service.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Bumps

2015 KL Cherokee 

Other than the "Fuel induction / throttle body service" I can't imagine any of that costing more than a couple hundred dollars (total). And I didn't even think you could do a "4 wheel alignment" on these new Cherokees. Sorry for your bad luck, but thanks for posting so the rest of us can beware. \ken

2000 TJ Sahara [only thing "stock" is the glovebox]
2015 KL TrailHawk [CWP, C&C, TTG, LIG, NAV]
post #6 of 24 Old 11-12-2015, 03:26 PM
SamDoe1
2015 KL Cherokee 

You got taken for a ride. Just get the actual replacement stuff done, the inspections are usually a scam anyway. Most shops just charge the labor and spend 1/10th the time actually doing anything.

As was said, there should have been no reason to align or balance unless there was an issue and that's something they should have run by you first. Oil change and air filter change is ~$80 tops. The rest is bunk.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
mmahamm
2015 KL Cherokee 

Look at the owner's manual and figure out which services that are recommended at 20K (or 30K, or 40K etc.) that you can do yourself. If you do it yourself, not only do you pay zero for labor, but you also usually pay less for parts. Of the items in your list, most are easy DIY jobs. Of the others:
  • Multipoint inspection - Should be free. If they won't do it for free, find someone who will.
  • 4 wheel alignment - Can be done by any tire shop. If it is pulling to the left or right, or if you are seeing uneven wear on your tires, go to the mall and drop it off at Sears. You can even buy a "lifetime alignment" at many places, and then you'll never have to pay for it again
  • 4 wheel balance - Can also be done by any tire shop. If you have a shimmy, or you observe that the weights have come off of your wheels, take it to a tire shop and ask for this. If they are balancing all four wheels, they should be able to rotate them as well at no charge, since all four will be taken off.
  • Add Fuel system treatment and oil conditioner. Modern fuels have detergent additives that protect your fuel system. You should be able to drive for well over 100,000 miles before having to clean fuel injectors or any other fuel system components. And if it needs that done at that point, a "Fuel system treatment" product is not going to do the job. Oil Conditioner is similarly unnecessary. Today's motor oils have all of the stuff you need to protect your engine.
  • Battery protection service. It would be good to understand what this is. In the owner's manual it recommends that you "Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required" at every oil change interval. Maybe that's what this is. Nothing more or less should be required.
  • Fuel induction / throttle body service. Dealers recommend this all the time. A waste of money at 20K miles, and dubious at best, at 100K miles. See "Add fuel system treatment..." above.

Know your vehicle and know your maintenance schedules, and just say NO to extra work that isn't in the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. If you know your vehicle better than they do, when they recommend unnecessary work, you can reply confidently and knowledgeably, e.g., "Oh really, it needs a new air filter? Because I just replaced it last week. I'll bet you say that to all the customers."
post #8 of 24 Old 11-12-2015, 03:56 PM
EitanDC
2015 KL Cherokee 

Dude, that really sucks... I'm sorry that happened to you. If there is one silver lining, now you have a really appropriate screen name.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ
2005 Pontiac GTO
1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport
post #9 of 24 Old 11-14-2015, 09:56 AM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

wow, i never would have paid.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 AM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

$700 for less then $100 in supplies and less then a hour of shop time? Whattttttt
post #11 of 24 Old 11-14-2015, 11:19 AM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewedByDealer View Post
Hi
I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L and took it into the Walnut Creek, CA Jeep dealership and the charged me $711.21 for a 20k service. Labor $525, parts $170.19, Misc $1.55, tax 14.47. I know that it is a dealership and expect to pay more but feel $711.21 was a bit much. This is my first jeep, is there something I am missing about servicing these vehicles and why it cost so much? Or did I just get royally screwed if so what should the cost have been?

What was done:
-Tire rotation
-Multipoint inspection
-4 wheel alignment
-4 wheel balance
First off, I had noticed that this was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear that you had gotten taken for a ride. Like the others had stated, I don't see any reason for most of your service unless there was a reason for it. Your best friend is this, knowledge of your vehicle. Follow vice given by these kind folks here on this forum. Obtain the maintenance and service schedule for your vehicle. Get to really know your vehicle by looking at it closely. And most importantly, if in doubt, ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Robert.
post #12 of 24 Old 11-16-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
ScrewedByDealer
2014 KL Cherokee 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks you for answering my questions and giving advise. I always felt that you should watch you back at 3rd part shops but never a dealership. "Preferred Service" is not the Jeep preferred service. I definitely will not blindly trusting a dealership anymore and do my research before taking my vehicle into any shop.
post #13 of 24 Old 11-16-2015, 06:48 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I really don't trust my local dealer for anything more than ordering parts and accessories for me (and thats only if I've shopped around or must have genuine Mopar parts). But, I am willing to drive three hours to a particular dealer in Salt Lake where I had bought my Trailhawk from. I had met the service manager, and after a little bit of chit chat he understands that I know quite a bit about Jeeps, and I'm sure that I'll fully know and understand my TH before my first service.

As I've stated earlier, if in doubt get a second opinion, even from here (on this forum) if you have to.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 AM
EitanDC
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks you for answering my questions and giving advise. I always felt that you should watch you back at 3rd part shops but never a dealership. "Preferred Service" is not the Jeep preferred service. I definitely will not blindly trusting a dealership anymore and do my research before taking my vehicle into any shop.
Honestly, I think its worth going in and complaining to the dealership GM and seeing what he will do about it. You can always threaten to escalate to the Jeep area service manager. It really hurts the Jeep brand when dealerships rip people off. Maybe they'll refund some of the labor. Worth a try IMHO.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ
2005 Pontiac GTO
1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport
post #15 of 24 Old 11-18-2015, 02:25 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hi

What was done:
-Tire rotation
-Multipoint inspection
-4 wheel alignment
-4 wheel balance
I'm sorry to hear this. Maybe if you PM a link for this thread to the JeepCares customer service rep account they'll stop in here with better advice than I can offer.
Welcome to the forum.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in