which welder do I choose - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
GenPatTuck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

which welder do I choose

I am a beginner welder and am trying to decide about which welder to buy. RIght now my choices are the power mig 140c from Lincoln or a similar harbor freight one.
Lincoln is a great name and they stand behind what they build. I know I wont have any problems with it. The 140c allows me to plug it into a standard 120 outlet. I dont plan on doing any major welding with it, just some small stuff in the garage. I know it has a longer work cable and clamp.
As for the HF welder, out of 21 reviews only two trashed it saying it only works sometimes and to get an extended warranty. It only has a 5 foot work cable and clamp. It spatters alot until you figure out the best settings. I have to install a 22O outlet as well, but its almost $400 cheaper.
What do you guys think? I am really swaying towards the Lincoln, I just need some input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 AM
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

My opinion, so take it for what its worth lol, I would stay away from anything other than the established names, Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, they are all good and have been around for a while. Make sure before you buy, that you wont want to do heavier work later on. If you can get a 220v welder you can do small (thin) stuff with it, but you cant do thick stuff with the 110v machine. Good luck

2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be in the same exact boat as 90% of people who start out with a 110v machine,once you learn a little welding and technique..you'll wanting/needing to weld heavier materials and needing a stronger machine..like a 220v .............

if you are 100% SURE you'll only ever be welding light things like maybe a riding mower deck repair..lawn furniture...any small repairs..then go for the Lincoln...

Personaly i'd stay away from any of the Harbor Freight welders,they never last long,weld like crap...etc......google REAL reveiws of those machines other than Harbor Freight's website...

Scour Craigslist for a used 220v machine for a few weeks or more and see what "pops up" in your area..when you do find a good brand name machine such as Miller,Lincoln and Hobart..post here the link and what it is and we'll give some good advice if it's worth it....if your pateint,you'll probably find a GOOD used 220v machine for the price of the Harbor Freight machine.

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Friday128
1997 ZJ 

I use a hobart handler 120 for small projects and a Millermatic 180 for bigger things. (So I dont have to refeed wire).
From the perspective of a CW and CWI (Welder and Inspector) I love my miller. It makes beautiful welds and is easy to learn on. Plus it comes with plenty of add ons to weld just about anything anywhere.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
GenPatTuck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lincoln 180c

I am initially looking at the 180c b/c of the great promo they are running right now. The only thing I dont know about it is does it have 110 connection. I know it has 220v, but remembering seeing an episode of extreme 4x4 where Ian said it could be used in either voltage.
I am not really interested in welding thick stuff, but mostly use it for small projects on my xj and uses around the garage.
The Lincoln promo ends at the end of this month so I only have a couple of days.
What do you think?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
GenPatTuck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am also a little concerned buying a used welder. Since I dont know much about them and have only done minimal welding, I dont know what to expect from a used one. At least with a new one there would be a warranty.
There is a guy on CL selling a miller130 wire feed for $200. Dont know how old it is and what issues would I have with a used welder.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatTuck View Post
I am also a little concerned buying a used welder. Since I dont know much about them and have only done minimal welding, I dont know what to expect from a used one. At least with a new one there would be a warranty.
There is a guy on CL selling a miller130 wire feed for $200. Dont know how old it is and what issues would I have with a used welder.
The Miller 130 is a "real old" machine, the 135's been out quite a few years and the 140 about 4 or 5 years. Get a brand new machine, with a 3 year warranty. There's a reason he's selling it! A new machine is an almost "lifetime" investment!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatTuck View Post
I am initially looking at the 180c b/c of the great promo they are running right now. The only thing I dont know about it is does it have 110 connection. I know it has 220v, but remembering seeing an episode of extreme 4x4 where Ian said it could be used in either voltage.
I am not really interested in welding thick stuff, but mostly use it for small projects on my xj and uses around the garage.
The Lincoln promo ends at the end of this month so I only have a couple of days.
What do you think?
I have a MM211 which does both 120 and 240. I use it mostly on 240 but I have had a time where I needed it on something light out of range of the 240V and the 120V came in real handy.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Fishermantrap
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a MM211. It is the best and will weld 20ga. to 3/8" in 1pass. Clean, near splatter free welds are yours, if you use the gas mix 75/25. I am retired in Mexico, on the Baja. I do a lot of welding to help people. Only charge for consumables. Not affiliated in any way to Miller, but they are the best. I also have a miller Bobcat 225G. This is an '87 and works as good today as when new.

fisherman trap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in