TJ FRAME SWAP SOLVED between 1997-2002 and 2003-2006 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
jlocher92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TJ FRAME SWAP SOLVED between 1997-2002 and 2003-2006

Alright guys, before i officially did this, i searched and searched for threads about this and found NOTHING so I went ahead and did it anyways and I am now here to tell you ALL about what happened.

I have a 2002 TJ X l6 and i put my jeep in the shop for things that i didnt want to F*** with; new lifters, new intake manifold, machined the head, new clutch disk/pressureplate/all that jazz, and while they were at it, penzoil syncromesh tranny fluid swap, penzoil high mileage 10 30 with lucas stabil, antifreeze drain and fill, and whatever.

When they were doing all of this, they found the typical stripped skid plate bolts spinning freely so i showed them a thread on here and they installed new nutserts yada yada yada. $1500 cash for everything.

I pulled out of the shop,

first gear

second gear

BOOM! lady runs a red light and i T-bone her and flipped her car twice. no one was hurt btw. hauled off to a REALLY NICE frame and fender shop and they called me and said "your jeep is a total loss" which is where my ego kicked in and said "thats fine. fix it." bad idea.

found a less rusty 2003 tj l6 frame for 900 for them to use because nobody makes those tj frames anymore. I paid for one for $2,600 but the money was refunded because chrysler couldnt get one. bought used 03 and hauled it to louisville.

SO HERE IS WHERE THE FRAME SWAP INFO COMES IN

Weve all heard of the skid plate having a different bolt pattern but it does deeper than that. the place i bought the 03 frame from also gave me the tranny skid but that wouldnt even fit because its not the same transmission mounts. so they had to use the 02 skid and they could only make 4 nutserts out of the 6 that were in there.

second problem, mercedes makes the powersteering gearbox for the 03-06 so it wont fit and heres why. there are three bolts mounting the gearbox. the stwo bolts attached to the 1/4 inch steel bracket factory welded to the frame fit the 02 gearbox just fine. its the last steel bushing on the actual frame (closest to the bumper) that is offset upwards about an inch. Now, they said i could find an 03 gearbox and it will fit. WRONG. then id have to change the shaft. the ONLY two things to do is either take it somewhere or diy cut that third bushing off the frame, lower it about an inch, and weld it back. the second option is run a slightly thinner J bolt through that bushing, up and over the gearbox bolt hole, hook that J bolt in through that hole, and tighten it down, pinching it to the frame instead of bolting it. that will hold it for a while but you bet your sweet a** youre not taking it out on trails until you get that s*** welded.\

ive racked up 9k on that jeep repair so far but i love it so much id go bankrupt for it. plus, it helps financially that I broke up with the girlfriend Sorry for such a long post.

LONG STORY SHORT; IF YOU HAVE A 97-02 FRAME, SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE AND DO NOT BUY AN 03-06 FRAME. It works, but its a b***

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2213[1].jpg   IMG_2205[1].jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2015, 12:06 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking this should be in TJ tech not the Fab section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2015, 11:16 AM
partegolkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'm thinking this should be in TJ tech not the Fab section.
agreed with you

post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
jlocher92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm new here guys, I was just trying to get the info out there.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 01:16 PM
pruiett56

HELP -Need new frame for 2004 Wrangler Sport

New to this forum but hope someone out there can help. I recently bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport to only find out the frame is rusted out pretty badly and in fact the guy I bought it from had done some "cover up" work so it wouldn't stand out. Looked at replacing the rails but the rust goes all the way back to the spring mounts and the guy doing the work feels like the best bet is to do a frame swap. Thing is - IF I'm going to go this far and spend this kind of money - I'd really like to put brand new frame under it - problem is - I'm having a hard time finding a new frame for this Jeep - Does anyone out there know where I can find a new frame for a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport? Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 02:56 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

These guys custom build TJ frames, but they ain't cheap...
https://throttledownkustoms.com/i-31...tegory:1402124

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in