Shop Accidents/Injuries.. Dissection - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 82 Old 11-27-2020, 05:58 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

A neighbor of mine was changing a starter on his Chevy truck and didn't disconnect the battery negative cable first. He was wearing a watch with a metal band and guess what happened, the watch band grounded out between the solenoid B+ stud and the engine block! Got so hot instantly it burned a ring around his wrist. Lesson learned always disconnect the battery negative when working on a starter and no watches, rings etc.
I always tell kids learning to work on their own vehicles the battery is one of the most dangerous things under the hood, yeah its only 12-14V but can be as much as 800-1000 AMPS! Always disconnect the negative first to remove the return path, and re-connect it last.

4Low2G0 likes this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 Old 11-27-2020, 06:04 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
You are absolutely right!! Garage doors are VERY DANGEROUS!!

Years ago, I had an experience with one that was a very close call. After reading your story, I am very fortunate that I just got a small cut across my cheek that is almost completely unnoticeable.

That happened quite a few years ago. But, just last summer, I arrived home from work at midnight (second shift).

I got out of my open jeep, opened the garage door manually, drove in, and shut the door manually.

In a split second, I heard a loud "TWANG" sound, and instinctively ducked. One of the long door springs actually snapped at the end where the eyelet is formed.

The spring flew right by my head. If it had hit me, I'd probably be dead.

When the garage door company came to do the repair, I paid $35.00 extra to have safety cables run through the center of the springs, so that if they ever broke again, the safety cable would keep the spring suspended overhead.

I am very sorry that you had that happen to you...if you don't mind sharing, what is your prognosis?

Rich
I've had the Twang sound twice this year, so when one spring breaks, plan on replacing the other one because its not far behind! And for sure add the safety cables, my originals did not have them but for sure I added them when I replaced both cables. You can replace them yourself, I pushed the garage door all the way up & as far back as I could get it and used a vice grips on both sides to hold the door far enough back that there was no tension on the springs...Then I also put a bolt & nut through a hole in the track as a back up safety. Its a job you can do, but really be careful with that heavy door, make sure that in addition to whatever you are using to hold it up, have a back up!

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #78 of 82 Old 12-12-2020, 08:42 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I'll add to the thread.

I've been disassembling and mostly reassembling things since the third grade (ask my aunt about her train set). Been a professional mechanic for almost ten years in a local 4X4 shop. Worked in a lube bay, tire bay, stripped brakes, and operated, driven, and worked on all kinds of equipment. 33 year military vet with 3 combat tours.

I've found that almost all accidents are caused by one thing.

Impatience.

It drives ignorance. How many times do we get a new piece of equipment and toss the manual in our hurry to unlimber it?

It drives mistakes. In my HS shop class there was a standing rule that all spinning equipment has to be completely stopped before you could leave. I tried to shut down a slowly spinning grinder wheel with my finger because I was in a hurry to get moving. I carry a nice long scar on the pad of my right ring finger from the inertia of the wheel pulling my finger into the guard.

It drives distraction. How many times have we broken something wrapping up a project because we were already working on the next one in our heads?

It drives poor judgement. Just watch and see how many cars run a red light at an intersection because they didn't want to wait the 15 to 30 seconds for it to change again.

It drives stupidity. How many folks do you see texting and driving because the message on the phone can't wait for the destination.

It drives excessive speed. How many times do we "whip" through something just to have to go back and fix what we overlooked, omitted, or broke?

There is an old saying on the military.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
I try to make this my mantra when I find myself getting impatient. Take a deep breath, slow down, and do it right.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #79 of 82 Old 12-12-2020, 09:18 AM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
I'll add to the thread.

I've been disassembling and mostly reassembling things since the third grade (ask my aunt about her train set). Been a professional mechanic for almost ten years in a local 4X4 shop. Worked in a lube bay, tire bay, stripped brakes, and operated, driven, and worked on all kinds of equipment. 33 year military vet with 3 combat tours.

I've found that almost all accidents are caused by one thing.

Impatience.

It drives ignorance. How many times do we get a new piece of equipment and toss the manual in our hurry to unlimber it?

It drives mistakes. In my HS shop class there was a standing rule that all spinning equipment has to be completely stopped before you could leave. I tried to shut down a slowly spinning grinder wheel with my finger because I was in a hurry to get moving. I carry a nice long scar on the pad of my right ring finger from the inertia of the wheel pulling my finger into the guard.

It drives distraction. How many times have we broken something wrapping up a project because we were already working on the next one in our heads?

It drives poor judgement. Just watch and see how many cars run a red light at an intersection because they didn't want to wait the 15 to 30 seconds for it to change again.

It drives stupidity. How many folks do you see texting and driving because the message on the phone can't wait for the destination.

It drives excessive speed. How many times do we "whip" through something just to have to go back and fix what we overlooked, omitted, or broke?

There is an old saying on the military.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
I try to make this my mantra when I find myself getting impatient. Take a deep breath, slow down, and do it right.
Wise words.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT
post #80 of 82 Old 06-19-2021, 07:22 AM
77KW

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had my eye drilled to remove a rust ring around a piece of metal. I fought it for a couple of days before I went in to have it removed. Bad idea, don't wait if you can't get it out right away.
post #81 of 82 Old 06-20-2021, 10:26 AM
revrnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77KW View Post
I had my eye drilled to remove a rust ring around a piece of metal. I fought it for a couple of days before I went in to have it removed. Bad idea, don't wait if you can't get it out right away.
My brother had a chip in his eye & they used a magnet to remove it.
post #82 of 82 Old 06-20-2021, 12:42 PM
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

I was spraying some clear coat paint with safety glasses on but a little bit of overspray was hanging in the air and landed on my eye, behind the safety glasses.

I could feel it on my eyeball and had to get it removed by a doctor.

I should have worn goggles instead.

Make sure your PPE is appropriate for the task.

The most common shop injury has got to be hearing damage. Most people ignore it until they can't.

The most effective PPE is common sense. If you are using a cut-off wheel, try to keep your body (and your face) out of the plane it is rotating in.

Some safety equipment is designed to avoid liability, not injury. Any thing that increases grip fatigue is a pet peeve of mine. 4.5" angle grinders tend to get hobbled with "safties" that will make you lose your grip if you run them long enough. Dropping a 4.5" angle grinder is not a safe thing to do.

Lastly, watch out for repetitive stress injuries. Vibrations cause these. If you are grinding with that 4.5" angle grinder for 2-3 hours a day, your hands are going to tingle and if you do it enough it is going to cause nerve damage and carpal tunnel. Vibration without movement is what causes it so take breaks and move your wrist, elbow and other joints through their range of motion without vibration.

I don't know if you can do more than a little shop work without suffering for it. I've done more than that, I suffer, I'll do more and I'll suffer more because I enjoy my hobbies. I just wish I had been smarter about hearing protection, repetitive stress and chemical exposure before I started doing damage.

Oh, try not to smash your fingers and toes too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in