Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - Page 148 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2206 of 2231 Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Now that looks like a nice unit but wow the price tag as well.

I'm almost just considering using the pin and sleeve that came with the bumper. drill in a zero fitting in the side of the sleeve and call it good.

I'm just unsure how the whole carrier stays down and what prevents someone from simply picking it up of the hinge..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2207 of 2231 Old 04-13-2017, 10:06 AM
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Now that looks like a nice unit but why the price tag as well.

I'm almost just considering using the pin and sleeve that came with the bumper. drill in a zero fitting in the side of the sleeve and call it good.

I'm just unsure how the whole carrier stays down and what prevents someone from simply picking it up of the hinge..
Are you refering to the spindle that's not welded in but the sleeve in the pic above?.... The sleeve welds in then the spindle presses in no one will be able to pull that out without super man brute strength. The idea behind that setup is welding the spindle to the bumper makes it brittle so has a possibility to crack and break off.

build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
post #2208 of 2231 Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Are you refering to the spindle that's not welded in but the sleeve in the pic above?.... The sleeve welds in then the spindle presses in no one will be able to pull that out without super man brute strength. The idea behind that setup is welding the spindle to the bumper makes it brittle so has a possibility to crack and break off.
. I think he was referring to the kit unit he already had, just a post with a piece of tubing over it.

It doesn't press in, it's a slip fit; it'll fall right out. The idea is just to put a little weld on the bottom to locate and secure it, but the welded-in sleeve takes all the load.

post #2209 of 2231 Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
dwilliams35 is right. This is what I was referring to;
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2210 of 2231 Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 PM
RoughRiderAZ
1978 CJ7 

Does anyone have the pictures from this guide? Not loading for me.
post #2211 of 2231 Old 04-23-2017, 07:40 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For the spare tire mount - what do you guys do, buy new wheel studs and weld them to the plate or what?

It seems the studs on the stock carrier are spot welded on..
post #2212 of 2231 Old 04-23-2017, 08:44 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For the spare tire mount - what do you guys do, buy new wheel studs and weld them to the plate or what?

It seems the studs on the stock carrier are spot welded on..
It's just a bolt.... drill a hole, stick it through, tack down the head.
post #2213 of 2231 Old 04-30-2017, 06:20 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Whats the consensus about welding while the bumper is on the vehicle? Everything to date I've constructed on the bench etc. Now that the bumper is approaching completion minus the tire carrier.. I made up some lower mounts that will tie it to the frame. But due to the design of the bumper and it would be beneficial if I could tack these two brackets onto the bumper while its fastened to the vehicle to get the right angle/depth etc.

I know the gas tank is right behind me basically.

Never welded anything while it was on the car, should the battery be disconnected or is this just a bad idea?

post #2214 of 2231 Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i just disconnect the battery. keep the ground as close as i can. on a 2012. never been a issue. have done a lot of welding on it. But You have to be careful. not to burn it to the ground. If can do it off better. somethings you really cant.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #2215 of 2231 Old 05-17-2017, 06:14 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I can't believe it but the bumper is basically nearly done. The carrier came tougher - found a local mechanist and he helped me out with the spindle/sleeve idea and it works beautifully. I've welded everything together and only a couple of items left to figure out.

1) The carrier once on the Jeep seems to bounce a bit. I haven't figured out a latch idea (thats my second point). but I'm wondering what do you guys recommend to prevent this? The end where the latch would fall sits pretty much on the top of the rear bumper.. It seems the bounce is at the upper part of the A-frame.

2) Any recommendations for a latch? I see a lot of guys use these Destaco latches, are they good and worth the money?

3) Paint, but thats a easy one!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4597_1495066695230.jpg   IMG_4598_1495066695230.jpg   IMG_4599_1495066695230.jpg  
Bigbob likes this.

post #2216 of 2231 Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 PM
Bigbob

Quote:
Well I can't believe it but the bumper is basically nearly done. The carrier came tougher - found a local mechanist and he helped me out with the spindle/sleeve idea and it works beautifully. I've welded everything together and only a couple of items left to figure out.

1) The carrier once on the Jeep seems to bounce a bit. I haven't figured out a latch idea (thats my second point). but I'm wondering what do you guys recommend to prevent this? The end where the latch would fall sits pretty much on the top of the rear bumper.. It seems the bounce is at the upper part of the A-frame.

2) Any recommendations for a latch? I see a lot of guys use these Destaco latches, are they good and worth the money?

3) Paint, but thats a easy one!
Destaco is more money than the others but well worth while.

If the swing is bouncing a lot while the Jeep is parked it'll beat itself to death on the road. I've built a couple of these things. On my Jeep I don't use a spindle and swing but the principle is the same. Make sure your spindle bearing is tight. It's not like a wheel bearing where it needs a bit of play, pull out all the play. On the swings I've made I always build a "rest" for the swing to sit on. Picture it as a slightly tapered ramp the swing sits on so the weight is now on both ends of the swing not just the spindle end. I use metal with poly material on top so there is no metal to metal contact which can be noisy. I used an old poly kitchen cutting board for this. And the latch should sit at a slight angle so it pulls the swing into the rest. If that don't make sense I can take a pic of mine and show you.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #2217 of 2231 Old 05-20-2017, 06:26 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I know I have to adjust the rear rubber snuggers I'm sure it's going to help. And the latch end I might just do the whole bolt with a T handle on it as it seems to be the best and most fail safe.

However the bumper shouldn't bounce that much lol or am I missing something here?
post #2218 of 2231 Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 AM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I know I have to adjust the rear rubber snuggers I'm sure it's going to help. And the latch end I might just do the whole bolt with a T handle on it as it seems to be the best and most fail safe.

However the bumper shouldn't bounce that much lol or am I missing something here?
I did the destaco route; its got an actual tension to it that'll lock down the rattling pretty well. I doubt you're going to get the same level of tension with a bolt/t-handle without a cheater pipe or something, and you can open the destaco in about a second.
post #2219 of 2231 Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
Quote:

I did the destaco route; its got an actual tension to it that'll lock down the rattling pretty well. I doubt you're going to get the same level of tension with a bolt/t-handle without a cheater pipe or something, and you can open the destaco in about a second.
Ya the destaco latch looks nice but I also read a few times where it actually let loose.

I drilled and tapped a couple of holes today in the arms and added a couple of rubber feet I had laying around to get the tire snug on the arm. Next step will be to get the whole a-frame to be snug against the tailgate..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4594_1495412162233.jpg   IMG_4604_1495412162233.jpg   IMG_4605_1495412162233.jpg  
post #2220 of 2231 Old 05-21-2017, 08:33 PM
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ya the destaco latch looks nice but I also read a few times where it actually let loose.

I drilled and tapped a couple of holes today in the arms and added a couple of rubber feet I had laying around to get the tire snug on the arm. Next step will be to get the whole a-frame to be snug against the tailgate..
They do make the destacos with safety latches....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in