Pull Action Clamp for Rear Tired Carrier - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By strykersd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2021, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pull Action Clamp for Rear Tired Carrier

I am planning on using 4X4Trax fab ideas posted in the YJ Tech forum to build a bumper mounted rear tire carrier. I have access to all kinds of square tube, angle iron and plate steel on the UPS Distribution Facility I am remodelling and thinking of fabbing a rear bumper tire carrier. About the only thing I cant pick up for free is the pull action clamp to secure the tire carrier closed during vehicle operation. I am looking at the 'Bay and Amazon and I am liking the De Sta Co locking style clamps because they look rattle proof and wont unintentionally open while bouncing in the rough. They are pricey but I think they are made in America and since all the steel is free I can spend a few extra bucks on a latch. AS far as I have seen, they are also the only clamp having the secondary locking mechanism.

There are a lot of different types of clamps, mostly with what kind of latch part they have. Some are just hooks and some are kinda square or a rounded hoop. I am thinking the square hoop would be better. I also am wondering how heavy duty or load rating this clamp should be. My YJ may get 33's at some point but thats way down the road. Presently I have 31X10.50X15' mud terrains on 15X10 rims.

I want to be proactive tho and make sure the clamp will stay locked and is stout enough not to frag if I hit some rough terrain. What type and duty rating are yall using? Anyone using a locking type clamp? One that uses a separate lever to unlock the latch?

Link:
https://www.amazon.com/323-SS-Stainl...1395345&sr=8-3

Thanks!!

Last edited by SevenSlotAddict; 05-18-2021 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2021, 02:28 AM
Mattific

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That’s the same style latch and pretty sure same brand as the one I used to make my bumper several years ago (non locking version). The latch mechanism itself has never failed me, though it did rip the welds out of the metal after a few years. Re welded that on and still going strong with a 33” spare
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2021, 03:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
mine has had the type one that just pulls down no lock. 10 years of trails like Dusy Ershem/Rubicon Utah and AZ wheeling. 37s say 100+lbs easy tire swing out itself is 85 pounds, holds 2 3g rotax cans and a 70q Pelican ice chest that empty is 33 pounds. That swing is very heavy when its packed for those long trails.
Its never came loose. dont rattle. I do have a lanyard on it that hooks to the roll bar, one spot is tight in case that latch did ever fail or more like someone opens the pull. the lanyard has max length too just before the stop ,heavy swing can get out of hand off camber and need to open it and at full open it can list the jeep a lot its that heavy.

i would avoid the lessor quality latches. even the one i have, same maker one could drill a small hole right where the metals pass and add a small pad lock. thought about it. Lanyard makes more sense. can be short and long. simple cheep i like cheep if works well. real trail use that lanyard is more useful then a lock or the locking ones. more so if that thing is 300 pounds

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I picked up enough 1-1/2" square tube for the main structure today and looked for a large bolt to use as the pivot. I didnt find a bolt the right size but found a piece of bar stock that fits inside the square tubing perfectly. I will drill holes thru the tubing and weld the bar stock on both sides. 4X4Trax tapped the bottom of the pivot to retain the carrier on the bumper so I will do the same. All I need now is a bit of plate steel to fashion the tire mount. And well, yeah, I actually need a rear bumper to replace the tube bumper I have now. Something that will match my angular fabbed front winch bumper.

Its not a Jeep, its an adventure!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2021, 10:40 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I used the nissan pathfinder as the base of my carrier and the latch has held up to everything. solid, no rattles for 8+ years

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2021, 10:17 PM
strykersd
1975 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i would avoid the lessor quality latches. even the one i have, same maker one could drill a small hole right where the metals pass and add a small pad lock. thought about it. Lanyard makes more sense. can be short and long. simple cheep i like cheep if works well. real trail use that lanyard is more useful then a lock or the locking ones. more so if that thing is 300 pounds
I use a similar latch to the one you linked. Mine did rattle loose when I drive fast in the desert. So I did like doc said, drilled a hole and have it held shut with locking pin ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...B&gclsrc=aw.ds ).
222Doc likes this.

Patrick

post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I went a different route on my latch system https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/f...31/index5.html
I used a bear claw latch, like what car doors use and also have a spring loaded plunger as a secondary latch that also limits or locks the carrier when it's open.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in