Oxy/Acet Cart Build - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Oxy/Acet Cart Build

Finally decided I've done without a torch long enough. But, the carts I could afford I didn't like and, the carts I liked I couldn't afford! So spent the last couple days building a torch cart. Came out pretty good if I don't say so myself.

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart3.jpg

One thing I always cussed was the tool/junk tray that everything always falls out of when your moving it around. So, I made mine able to swing when moving.

cart4.jpg

Pretty well got the cart finished today. Just so damn humid wasn't sure if the paint would actually even dry. That and I couldn't talk myself into putting on the Tyvek suit and respirator! Will tear it apart and finish the cleanup when it's not near as humid out!

cart5.jpg

Storage for the striker and goggles on the left side.

cart6.jpg

Hose storage on the right side.

cart7.jpg

Even made the hose storage quick release. An idea I took from my wife's vacuum cleaner!

cart9.jpg

cart8.jpg

Even though I admittedly over built the cart. I'm real proud of how well balanced it is when moving considering I had no plans and was just cutting metal to what I was envisioning in my mind. Have used factory made carts that don't balance out as well always wanting to flip forward or has all the weight on your arms when moving them.

cart10.jpg

I own a Harley and a JEEP, still some people can't figure out why I'm broke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice cart.
You should put a piece of angle iron on the front lip,it will enable you to easily roll the tanks on and off.
Also,you need a pieceof plate to separate the tanks from each other,it need to be as tall as you biggest tank.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Nice cart.
You should put a piece of angle iron on the front lip,it will enable you to easily roll the tanks on and off.
Also,you need a piece of plate to separate the tanks from each other,it need to be as tall as you biggest tank.

Why? Te commercial built ones do not have a divider.

The only thing I see wrong is the hanging goggles - that elastic strap always ends up stretched and useless after hanging for any length like that.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you are using it in a commercial setting there has to be separation kept between the tanks to prevent dieseling which is rare but does happen.
I have been away from the industry for awhile but you local weld/Gas supplier could tell you.
Also,when storing tanks whether empty or full they need to be stored separate as well.
If you're using it around your house I wouldn't worry about,it is a nice cart.

Back when I was a kid,we had a huge body shop( like 200' x 200') and they had an explosion ( mob problems).

There were four 12 packs of tanks stored together inside, and when that building exploded it leveled everything within 300 feet and left a crater in the ground the size of the building that varied in depth 5 to 10 feet deep.
We lived like 5 miles away and it shook out house.
Not one person got killed.
God, the 70's were fun

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #5 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Why? Te commercial built ones do not have a divider.

The only thing I see wrong is the hanging goggles - that elastic strap always ends up stretched and useless after hanging for any length like that.
The commercial use ones have a divider. As far as the goggles go, they will probably be thrown in a drawer somewhere. I can't wear them other than in the middle of the winter. Normally just use my electronic welding helmet set for cutting.

Name:  cart.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  13.7 KB

post #6 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Nice cart.
Also,you need a piece of plate to separate the tanks from each other,it need to be as tall as you biggest tank.
Not sure what a piece of angle iron would do to make it easier to load and unload tanks? I raised the bottom plate up for stability when using it on gravel. That way the 4 legs hit and it not teetering on a rock under the plate like what happens with some I've used that have been basically a modified 2 wheel cart.

As far as the separator, I know it's not OSHA approved. Figure if I ever go into business I can always retrofit it with some sheet metal.

post #7 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Must be something new, as all of the ones I have seen do not.

78 CJ5 302HO, T177/D300, 86 WT 30/44, Aussie F/R

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Must be something new, as all of the ones I have seen do not.

78 CJ5 302HO, T177/D300, 86 WT 30/44, Aussie F/R
Yeah, new OSHA regulations. Lot of shops are having to switch to new carts. Problem is the OSHA approved ones start around $800 and go up from there! Acetylene is probably one of the most dangerous gasses in a shop. Primarily because people become compliant or aren't educated on it's use. Not sure of too many others that will self ignite if released at too high a rate.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 10:11 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Many many years ago I was told not to operate the torch with the Acetylene tank laying down.

Something about exposing too much of the absorbent material releasing more Acetylene than normal.

Anyone hear of that?

post #10 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Many many years ago I was told not to operate the torch with the Acetylene tank laying down.

Something about exposing too much of the absorbent material releasing more Acetylene than normal.

Anyone hear of that?
Yeah, never operate an acetylene tank laying down, in fact don't use one that has been stored or transported horizontal for 24 hours after being placed upright. The acetylene is absorbed in acetone, the acetone will destroy your regulator if it get into it and can cause a fire if it gets in the lines. Same as using tips that are too large for the tank you have. If you are consuming acetylene faster than it can be released you will end up sucking acetone into the regulator.

post #11 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM
V8GCZJ

Nice cart but the one thing i see missing is PAINT!
post #12 of 22 Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
Nice cart but the one thing i see missing is PAINT!
Yep, was so humid Monday when I finished it I couldn't talk myself into putting on a Tyvek suit and respirator.

Will be putting color on it soon. Kind of glad I didn't get color on it yet though. Got to thinking since it's so portable it's hard telling where all it will be used and might be a ways from the fire extinguisher in the shop. I picked up a 5# extinguisher today and I'm going to mount it to the back side of the cart. That way when I'm busy I don't have to remember to bring the extinguisher with me.
Cutlass327 likes this.

post #13 of 22 Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That's a nice cart. You may never need it but were it mine I'd want a way to pick it up with a forklift. Maybe bracket in the middle with an eye for hooking a chain too. Makes it easier to load in the back of a pickup.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #14 of 22 Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
That's a nice cart. You may never need it but were it mine I'd want a way to pick it up with a forklift. Maybe bracket in the middle with an eye for hooking a chain too. Makes it easier to load in the back of a pickup.
Yeah, don't have a fork lift to worry about lifting it with, or even a loader with a bucket. Don't plan on doing a lot of hauling it around and loading it in and out of the truck. Figure if it comes to it I can always add on to it, would probably go ahead and make an OSHA divider with a lift ring at the top.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Will probably end up putting some 1 1/2" PVC pipe on eventually to hold brazing and welding rods also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in