Offroad trailer build thread. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
stpeteTJ

Offroad trailer build thread.

Allright, so this is going to be my build thread. I'm not going to be working on the TJ a great deal for a while, so this offroad trailer will be my main undertaking.

I picked this trailer in my neighborhood for forty bucks about 3 months ago, I didn't have a use for it, but I figured it may be useful in the future. I was right.

First step is to get the wood platform off. It's just sitting there with 4 bolts (two on each side) attaching to the frame, on the left side doesn't even have nuts, but on the right it looks like the nuts are rusted on pretty good. I decided the easist way to get those off would be with a sawzall, so I'll be doing that sometime this week . I'm just going to put the deck off to the side, so that way if I decide to take it to a local shop so I can use their TIG welder I can do that.

Unfortunately the axle is suffering from a bit of rust on the bottom. I think I'm going to grind the rust away and then reinforce the week spots by welding some struts on the bottom, then line-x it. Then I'll just cut a floor to fit out of steel (haven't decided the thickness yet)

After that I'm going to grind all the paint and rust off the frame and start building off it. I think I'm going to keep it simple and MIG weld 4x6 sheets of aluminum straight up on each side, and then reinforce those by welding ribbing on the inside of each wall every 12 inches or so. Then weld a 4x4 sheet on the back end (I don't care about a tailgate), aid ribbing to that, and then angle the front end like this ^. I'm going to do a hard top that uses gas struts on the top, then put a roof top tent on top of that.

After the basic frame/ body is built I'm going to go out and buy a nice cooler, then weld tie down spots (same ones out of the bed of a TJ) for it, a nice portable grill/stove, weld down tie down spots for it, and then miscellaneous hooks in the side to hold on things like laundry bags and what not. Then I'm going to mesaure whatever room is left and use that for a water tank, hopefully I can sneak in a 10 gallon. Extra fuel will go on the tongue in jerry cans, along with a propane tank.

Now, here are some photos of the trailer in it's current condition. I'll post some progress when I get those bolts cut off some time this week.

Dixie the jeep dog and the trailer:

bolts on the left side:

Tires:

Right half of the axle and leaf:

left:

The one thing that I have no clue about is the wheels. What lug pattern is that? And how could I find some nice wheels for it, I know trailers have serious back spacing issues.

Thanks for reading! If anyone has any input or questions, please chime in, and I'll try and update this as much as possible as I go.

edit; sorry about all the spelling and grammar errors, it's late and what not. I'll try and make it a little more legible tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by stpeteTJ; 11-03-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM
mikes_muse

Cool, man. I'm excited to see what you come up with. It'll give me more ideas and inspiration for mine.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
penguinwise

Cool

Gonna follow this thread as I would really like to do this in the future. I have seen some really nice pre-made ones, but at close to 10G I would rather make my own.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 PM
karlo

I think I'm going to follow this trailer build thread. I'm excited to see the progress. Good luck!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 PM
DirtyJeepBoy

1997 TJ Wrangler 

NICE! I always wanted to do something like this. Going to be following this thread for sure. Good luck

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
My Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDS/BTF/MCE
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 AM
MLTXJ9889

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I want to build one for next summer so bad haha
post #7 of 12 Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
stpeteTJ

Allright, I'll be pulling off the bed today. I'll post an update tonight with pics and what not.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
cheapjeeps85

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i wana build one too was thinking of using a truck dog box for a base i allways see them on cl cheap just a idea good luck cant wate to see more
post #9 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
TedderX_

2004 TJ Wrangler 

bump for updates?

-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
post #10 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Cro577
1998 ZJ 

still working on it? i would love to see a finished product.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
parrotparty

1999 TJ Wrangler 

any work done? pics!!
post #12 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 PM
micklock
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is how to measure for bolt pattern, it looks like 5 on 4-1/2.

Trailer Hub Assembly - 2,000 lbs Axles - 5 on 4-1/2 Dexter Trailer Hubs and Drums 34822545BX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in