Modification of Preexisting Product: PowerTank - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-07-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Modification of Preexisting Product: PowerTank Drop Bracket

For several years I've always wanted the powertank drop brackets and not because we wanted to use these molle panels for the powertank air canister, but because of how these molle panels mounted on to the jeep's sports bars and how they are designed.

Attached Images

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry

Last edited by RubiconFreedom; 04-13-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Years passed and I learn that powertank discontinued these molle panels and I thought I had missed my chance at getting a set of these panels. I later contacted Molle Platform Solutions out of North Carolina and asked the shop foremen if he could make these molle panels for us. One year later the shop foreman created his own design but was too large and crowded the rear sports bar area.
Attached Thumbnails
MPS.jpg  

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #3 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

My list of options was growing short, as a last resort, I contacted powertank themselves in an effort to see if they had any of these panels left. The spokesperson at powdertank informed me that they had a couple of demo or prototypes left in stock. I told them send those 2 panels no matter what their condition. I wanted them.

When the panels arrived, the first thing we did was to check the fit, but because these panels were designed to attach to the sports bars and drop down into the cargo bed, these wouldn't work for our application. we had to redesign these panels and flip them upright facing towards the front of the jeep's new trailview rear window.

After test fitting these panels on the sports bar, we've concluded that the panels stick out too far and could cut into the new rear window. So we'll have to have the length shortened. Also because we've flipped the panels into a different origination, the molle slats are running vertically instead of horizontally. So we'll have to have these cut also.
Attached Images

post #4 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

We .located a ratrod shop willing to cut out or remove parts of the panels as to allow the powertank panels to used like we wanted them. The ratrod shop owner cut a couple of the slats in order to make these holes a bit wider for our molle pouches. Once they we're done, we handed these panels over to our powder coaters for the finishing touches. Here's what the modified panel should look like after cutting and shaping.
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 Old 05-25-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Afterward the panels we're sent to our powder coaters, but somewhere between here and there the powder coater didn't shoot these panels the correct color, These were suppose to have been silver vein, But what we ended up with was black & white vein. Not the desired color.
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

We contacted our powder coaters and asked that they re-shoot these panels the correct color. But according to them, the end result color is what we selected.. yet my paperwork shows "silver vein" and one can clearly see that silver vein is a dark gray color with silver veins. Where as the black & white vein is just that more white than black as the case maybe. Note in the attached image pour panels should have looked like this.. We're in the process of having these molle panels corrected.
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

We've repackaged these panels and will send them back to the powderer coater. I was very reluctant to do this, but after searching other powder coaters in our area, we just couldn't find a better deal. One thing that could help, is that I was informed by another powered coater that we should buy the color we wanted on these panels from a powder coating supply retailer. This way we can make sure we get the desired color.
Attached Images

post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Before we send the panels back to the powder coaters, I've been searching the net for possible granite color matches. We've found colors like Sterling Charcoal Gunmetal & the Dark gunmetal gray colors as offered by our powder coaters. But just moments ago, I located this color: "Jeep Granite Crystal" as offered by a powder coating retailer. In the attached image, it shows that they powder coated the aluminum fender flares their version of the granite crystal clear coat. To date, this is the closest match we've been able to locate. I've since sent the link and a picture of this jeep to our powder coaters. Again , this is not our jeep but the same color we're looking for the do these molle panels, front & rear bumpers as well as the side steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Granite Crystal.jpg  

post #9 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Here's the latest on my project:

I've been informed that the powder coating shop manager is going to re-shoot our Powertank molle panels any color we want. However, he suggest that he doesn't like the company's powders I found who has the granite crystal color.

So I'm expecting 3 links to powder suppliers he uses to lcoate the color. One could be Prismatic Powders. Viewing this site, I did locate "Charcoal Crystal" which is very close to the granite color of our jeep. Even if the color is close but a little darker, this would be closes enough for government work.

Once we determine this color is close enough, our powder coaters will order enough of this color to shoot, 2 bumpers and 3 side steps.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Just the topic of storage, not so much the issues with custom paints and such. But yea i would have rattle caned those my self in Satin black. that color works well with factory black plastic or soft tops. Color matching is cool just if the jeep is really going off road stuff like that tends to end up scratched up

I have been using these saddle bags now 7 years on this jeep. they can hold a lot of stuff in a place that is mainly never used. I forget the maker but could look. made in the USA out heavy duty pack cloth nylon. we do a lot of long trails these have been a key to packing a 2 door for two and two dogs.

packing for the end of junes run to Rubicon, thats looking like a snow run now. that bag has two stoves three bottles propane two camp lights and some other camp stuff just in that one bag out of way.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Once we locate the correct or near matching granite color we can then mount these molle panels onto the sports bar. But again, this can't be accomplished until we remove the current soft top hardware.

There's a funky gear type box at the rear of the top sports bar which is attached to the soft top hardware. Once this is removed we can then mount these panels even if we don't have the new trailview soft top.

Once these panels have been secured, we'll start work on a tray which spans or is suspended between the 2 panels. This tray will be designed like a molle tray panel and allow for multiple mounting of several different items. One being a rotopax gas storage system.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-28-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Here's the latest.

Just got three links from our powder coaters. These links represent powder supply companies they use to acquire their colors. Even before they sent these links I knew one of them was Prismatic Powders. I had already saved the link because I located our granite color within their image gallery.

Here's the break down. We'll be needing one color and one clear coat to create the closest match to the granite color of our jeep. Even the Prismatic Powders site said that the "Cadillac Gray" is a dark charcoal gunmetal gray and I've seen several other sites mention this same color. Next we'll need the Clear Vision clear coat to create our granite color.

We found the color, now to send these two panels back to our powder coaters, wait and see the end results.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Here's the latest.

Our powder coater has just confirmed that the have the "Cadillac Gray" in house and can shoot our panels as soon as we can get them shipped. These panels are boxed up and just waiting to be taken to our local UPS store. Searching for a better image of this Cadillac Gray would look like, I borrowed an image from the Toyota 4Runner forums.

This is the closest color (in powder coating form) that matches the Jeep's granite color. Though even if it's a little darker that would be acceptable. But the proof is in the pudding and we'll just have to wait and see how close these colors are to our jeep. If successful, we have a lot more products for our powder coaters to do.

Stay tuned..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in