JK Fabrication of a Dual Battery Tray with Plans and Dimensions wanted - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steelbarz
  • 1 Post By Steelbarz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Steelbarz
2015 JK Wrangler 

JK Fabrication of a Dual Battery Tray with Plans and Dimensions wanted

I am currently outfitting my beautiful 2015 JKU X-Edition for a cross country month long adventure. I have decided to add a 2nd battery. I have fabrication and metal work skills. What I would love is some actual dimensions for successful builds or from factory setups like Genesis (really like this one) or RR and the like. I just can't justify the expense when I can buy a 4x8 sheet of 3/16 steel for the price of one of these and my welder and plasma cutter are needing work.

I was hoping someone had some successful plans out there for an underhood design. Or was willing to take accurate measurements and post them to avoid some trial and error waste. I found one opst on here but none of the links provided seem to work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Steelbarz
2015 JK Wrangler 

What I've come up with so far
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
RubiconFreedom likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 01:18 AM
W5KGP

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I like this Idea. I'm gonna follow this.. I want to fab one for the XJ since I like my radios....

Bluegrass is the vessel of which the Banjo's sole soul speaks

post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Steelbarz
2015 JK Wrangler 

The final build.

So here is what was finally installed. All made out of 1/8" plate and angle iron. Easy welding job and fit right in. Waiting for Cole Hersee Smart Battery Isolator 48530 200A to come in (Same one used on Genesis tray). Figured out the dimensions of the tray by measuring the stock battery and multiplying it by 2 and adding 1/2" in each direction. The holder for the stock fuse box was simply taken from the stock holder’s dimensions and welded on. I also added a bit of a box below it (Different from Genisis tray) as I felt it would protect from splashes from water from below. There is a 2” l shaped tang at the bottom which mounts just above the wheel well and this sits the tray high enough to clear a wiring loom that is coming out of the firewall. Because the batteries are isolated I think I will be fine running the stock battery for the starter and all stock accessories, the deep cycle will take care of all my auxiliary needs like winch and assorted power points and lights. Very happy with the result and aside from the time it took to build and the purchase from eBay for the isolator I think I saved a ton of cash and have a pretty professional looking install with a little job satisfaction.
Attached Thumbnails
20190506_134122_resized.jpg   20190505_201349_HDR_resized.jpg   20190507_163314_HDR_resized.jpg  
RubiconFreedom likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Great job. Like how you've turned the battery's orientation within your design. Looking at our Battery, it's a wonder Jeep didn't turn these like yours to save space and opt for a second battery.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Steelbarz
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
Great job. Like how you've turned the battery's orientation within your design. Looking at our Battery, it's a wonder Jeep didn't turn these like yours to save space and opt for a second battery.
I have been thinking the exact same thing since I started this project. Guess the engineers wanted to give us guys something to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in