Home Made Console - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Home Made Console

I'm not usually one of the 'look what I made' type guys here, but after seeing one too many 'ammo box consoles' I thought, 'look what I made'. This console has been in service for a few years. I post it here to encourage others to think outside the console, imagine greater.

I used to have a Tuffy, it's shortcomings got old, so I sold it for $80 on Craig's. With the $80 I bought enough steel to make a console of my design, and also steel for a bending brake to make the console. I wanted the stereo in there, with easy access for installing it. I wanted a decent lock, and also a CB setup. It uses 16ga steel bent and welded together using same construction methods as Tuffy does. The entire stereo mount panel comes out by removing one wingnut inside the console, stereo work is done on the bench.This is what I came up with...

Photo 1: Console as it normally sits, locked with stereo exposed. Bought lock w/keys from Tuffy, $12.

Photo 2: Hinged panel to cover the stereo closed and locked.

Photo 3: Can see steret volume control, and shows hinged flap opened to expose CB. Switch toggles dash speakers to CB or stereo.

Photo 4: Shows flap for stereo cover, note the piano hinge is cut to allow the panel to slide fwd 1/4" to seal the stereo, while still being able to tuck into the console interior. Behind stereo is a small 'quick access' box for small things.

Photo 5: Small box pulls right out, won't move with main lid closed.

Photo 6: Small box removed.

Photo 7: Bending brake made from random steel I bought and had, open.

Attached Thumbnails
console 1.jpg   console 2.jpg   console 3.jpg   console 4.jpg   console 5.jpg  

console 6.jpg   console 7.jpg   console 8.jpg   console 9.jpg  

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice work. Oh how I wish I had a break! And a bigger garage.

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 PM
StumpysFab

Super nice consol jeeperdon. Wouldn't happen to have a set of plans laying around?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpysFab View Post
Super nice console jeeperdon. Wouldn't happen to have a set of plans laying around?
"Plans? Where we're going, we don't need plans!" It's all simply bending and welding. Just imagine what you want and make it!

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-2019, 09:17 AM
StumpysFab

Haha true that. I think my first project this winter will be front bumper with winch mount.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks real good, do you think heat will be an issue?

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpysFab View Post
Haha true that. I think my first project this winter will be front bumper with winch mount.
Here is the one I made (nope, no plans). It is just a box that slips over the nose of the frame and is held on with the original 6 bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7331-small.jpg  
Attached Images

Web Admin for

post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2019, 08:40 AM
StumpysFab

Was looking at mine last night. Not sure exactly where the 6 bolts are. Mine has a shackle reverse done and almost looks like some of those holes are used or covered up? Will have to take a closer look tonight.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM
StumpysFab

Oh. . . . good looking bumper by the way 👍

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in