Help with California emissions wj - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rowdykev9395

Help with California emissions wj

I need to delete the y pipe on my 1999 grand cherokee Laredo 4.0
My factory exhaust manifold has two flanges that go into a y pipe/downpipe
Each flange has what looks to be a pre cat. Each with an 02 sensor. I got a blackhorse racing header I want to install but it only has one flange to downpipe. What's the best way to delete the y pipe and retain both o2 sensors and minus the one cat on bank 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 01:25 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
would it pass? Cali is like the black hole of regulations. you can add sensor to any header with a welded bung. issue is its placement and even its depth at seat. Might be best to stay stock as possible to get through Cali smog. dont these year heeps have 4 cats? i cant see any being deleted and it passing.

every after market part must be CARB certified too for smog and fuel things. This is why the Genright fuel tank made in Cal wont pass. It dont even effect the jeep and its smog system, its just dont have the seal of the CARB god. That cost a ton to get that sticker. Is why their tanks are off road only in Cal and legal in every other state.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2020, 01:38 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yea, if you're anywhere that inspects emissions equipment, that el cheapo header isn't going to cut it. Especially not in California.
Removing cats is a big no-no. A FEDERAL crime, and against these forum's rules to even ask about how to remove them.
Why do you think you want this made in China POS anyways? It's not going to do one single thing to improve your performance or mileage. All it's going to do is make the Jeep illegal.
Do yourself a huge favor and just use the correct manifold.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Rowdykev9395

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
would it pass? Cali is like the black hole of regulations. you can add sensor to any header with a welded bung. issue is its placement and even its depth at seat. Might be best to stay stock as possible to get through Cali smog. dont these year heeps have 4 cats? i cant see any being deleted and it passing.

every after market part must be CARB certified
too for smog and fuel things. This is why the Genright fuel tank made in Cal wont pass. It dont even effect the jeep and its smog system, its just dont have the seal of the CARB god. That cost a ton to get that sticker. Is why their tanks are off road only in Cal and legal in every other state.
I don't live in California I live in Kentucky and we have no emissions testing out here number one and number two I planned on keeping the cats anyway and the header that I got is carb compliant just not CA emissions. However after a bit of research, blackhorse makes a 6-2 version of the same unit. They're sending me the right one with a return label for this one.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Rowdykev9395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Yea, if you're anywhere that inspects emissions equipment, that el cheapo header isn't going to cut it. Especially not in California.
Removing cats is a big no-no. A FEDERAL crime, and against these forum's rules to even ask about how to remove them.
Why do you think you want this made in China POS anyways? It's not going to do one single thing to improve your performance or mileage. All it's going to do is make the Jeep illegal.
Do yourself a huge favor and just use the correct manifold.
I don't live in California so I'm not subject to the emissions and I actually live in Kentucky we don't have any emissions testing out here

And I contacted the company and they do make a 6-2 header the same unit and they're sending me the correct unit and I have to send this one back

You have to figure it's going to add a little bit of power it's less restricted and it's made of better metal and less prone to cracking like the factory manifolds do.

Plus I'm keeping the catalytic converters on there I never mentioned anything about doing a cat delete
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 05:36 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It doesn't matter if you're in Kentucky. Emissions are FEDERAL. They may not inspect where you are, but it is still a federal offence to remove any emissions equipment that the vehicle came with. Just because you don't get caught doesn't mean it isn't illegal.
And you did mention specifically removing one of the cats:
Quote:
What's the best way to delete the y pipe and retain both o2 sensors and minus the one cat on bank 2.
It's good they have the proper one for you...IF it actually needs replaced. But these are still cheap made in China POS headers. If you think these are better materials and stronger made, you're in for a huge disappointment. And no, it's not going to do squat for your power. If it does, it will be so minimal you'd never notice it and it would only be at full throttle, max RPM.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 09:45 AM
V8GCZJ

You cant delete one cat an expect to pass. You need to understand how the system works. The pcm needs to see inputs from all 02's. Even if you keep them and remove the cat it still will (most likely)throw codes. You MAY be able to do it keeping the system in place by adding what is missing(cat,02,bung) ect... But if they need to see a certification or sticker you are SOL. This is for a V6/8 but the principal is the same for cali emissions, Each header is 3 cylinders on the I6.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Rowdykev9395

This looks like my setup that I have now and apparently my Jeep is California emissions but this is saying Federal emissions I was looking for the downpipe from a federal emissions the pipe that goes from the catalytic converter to the exhaust so that I could use a 6in to one header that I have.
I found a banks that is set up for 6 in to 2. However.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200524-232420_eBay_1590380727440.jpg   Screenshot_20200524-232412_eBay_1590380740524.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in