Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fiberglass Tonneau

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  muddy93 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone has made one of these before... I have an idea in my head that includes cutting a fiberglass truck cap, adding some hinges and attaching it to the front holes where the hardtop screws in and gas props (to lift it up and down). I'm not going to attempt this until spring comes about so I have plenty of time to plan. Also, any suggestions and/or advice?

I would also like to be able to make this hardtop compatible for an exrta storage shelf when I have the hardtop on in the winter months.

Thanks for any feedback

Erik

#2 ·
Here's a link to the write up for my "storage system", http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/yj-modular-storage-system-write-up-596248/

I didn't use fiberglass, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Basically what I did was build two boxes that sat on top of the wheel wells, and used those as attachment points for the tonneau section. By using the wheel well boxes, the tonneau did NOT have to be notched around the roll bar, and it could be used with the hard top, soft top, or no top at all. And, as an added bonus, the side boxes doubled as arm rests for rear seat passangers when the back seat was installed.
Granted, the YJ fender wells were squared off, which made it real easy to attach the boxes, but with a little creativity, it shouldn't be to hard to adapt the idea to a TJ.

#4 ·
yes, I think the GR8tops bulkhead would make a good base/starting point to build off of.
When I built mine, I was still ocasionally hauling my two kids around, and needed to be able to retain the use of the rear seat. The bulkhead that I built also doubled as an "insta-trunk". I simply made it to fit behind the rear seat, and then added a second set of attachment points at the front of the bed area. That way, when I had the seat out, I could just move the bulkhead, and attach the tonneau section. If I didn't have the back end full of stuff, it only took a few minutes to switch from having a back seat, to having a fully inclosed, lockable bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.