Corner armor sliders. Just a wee bit o' fab. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Corner armor sliders. Just a wee bit o' fab.

Well I finally got my Jeep fixed from a trail accident. I ordered Rokmen's corner armor despite their refusing to give me the vertical height dimension of their armor above my rocker guards. Turned out ok anyways.

I liked their "strykers" but wanted to save the money as well as use my welder. So I ordered their normal full length LJ armor and then bought some tube bent from Eddie.

Here is the passenger side how it came.

Did a LOT of grinding and fitting. Then finally got them tacked in place.

Took them to a friends shop and shot some gloss black on them. Ended up getting over spray on the from touching up the edges but I can hopefully polish it out some. If not Ill just get it dirty.

Bolted them up on Christmas day. Loved the 50 degree weather. Then got the lights and license plate mounted.

For the final mounting I put silicon around the heads of the counter sunk bolts. My rockguards have rust around the bolt heads and I hope this prevents it. I suggested this to a friend when he installed his guards and it seams to have done the trick. I also put a bead along the top, front, and rear edges.

I plan to put my flares back on eventually but now its raining and cold again.

Thought I had pictures of my welds but I can't find them. Some turned out really well. Although I got some splatter from welding outside in the wind. Wish Santa had brought me a heated shop.

I see why the "Strykers" cost so much more. Its a lot of work fitting the tube so you don't warp the guards. Plus their TIG welds would look much better than my MIG.

The fit was pretty good. Although some holes were on the edge of the acceptable limits but that could have been from damage on both corners of the Jeep. Got the correct amount of hardware as well as some extras

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 04:09 PM
fataltherabbit

Very Nice , Id like to find some bent tube like that to put on my rock sliders
post #3 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 04:36 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! I like that! Are the stock flares still gonna fit?

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Nice! I like that! Are the stock flares still gonna fit?
Yes they still fit. Its close though. I had both flares on when I tacked them in place. Now I have to decide if I want to paint them before I put them back on.

Thanks for the tube.

Eventually I want to extend the rocker guards or trim the body where the gap is. As well as weld on a CB antenna mount.

Ill get some pics of it with flares on when I have time to put them on.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 07:43 PM
bamacpl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What did you weld the tubes on there with?

....it looks liked you lacked a lil' shielding gas? Looks good though! I like em'
post #6 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacpl View Post
What did you weld the tubes on there with?

....it looks liked you lacked a lil' shielding gas? Looks good though! I like em'
Yeah I was welding outside and when ever the wind picked up I lost the shield. The welds on the end are my worst one. They also looked a lot better before paint and in person vs a photo.

Not ready to do a cage but working on improving them
post #7 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Not bad looking man.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
post #8 of 15 Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
zachbh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good man. Why did you want the vertical height? they seem to fit with your A to Z rockers. And the flares should cover up that other little but. Looks good. Great looking jeep.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 PM
LT1CJ7

1983 CJ7 

What's up with the gap ?

post #10 of 15 Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Looks good man. Why did you want the vertical height? they seem to fit with your A to Z rockers. And the flares should cover up that other little but. Looks good. Great looking jeep.
I wanted to get that dimension because I was interested to see how they would fit before plunking down close to $400. I wasnt sure how the two different manufactures designs would work together. In hindsight they fit alright but I wasn't sure of this before I ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
What's up with the gap ?
That is due to an accident that these are covering up. I saved a lot of money by having the shop not repair the side and only replace the corner. That helped me cover the armor and tube.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

As promised a few with the flares.

And the flares doing their job. Sorta.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 PM
zachbh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ah thank you. Well they look good!!!!

I am worrying about the same thing, I wanna do BTF rockers with Rokmen Strykers.

Once again, awesome Jeep.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Scotch740

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I forgot to take into account the gas nozzle at the gas stations... Fortunately I have enough room for the normal stations nozzle to fit. But the stations who feel the need to put the stupid plastic advertisements on the nozzle don't. So I have to "take off" their stupid plastic pieces to get it to fit. That was a scare on the first fill up

Anyone with actual Rokmen or other brand "strykers" have this problem? I'm wondering if I should have mounted mine a tad bit higher. Although I still don't think they would have fit.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 AM
PBR

SWEET! I got some sniperfab full corners coming in the mail today. I got some tube im going to bend up for flares. I cant wait to see it when its all done.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
erickpl

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Well I forgot to take into account the gas nozzle at the gas stations... Fortunately I have enough room for the normal stations nozzle to fit. But the stations who feel the need to put the stupid plastic advertisements on the nozzle don't. So I have to "take off" their stupid plastic pieces to get it to fit. That was a scare on the first fill up

Anyone with actual Rokmen or other brand "strykers" have this problem? I'm wondering if I should have mounted mine a tad bit higher. Although I still don't think they would have fit.
I have the Toys by Troy version (see below).

I've noticed the curve of some of the gas nozzles makes filling up at certain stations impossible. The tube is such that I can't get the filler nozzle in. So it isn't just you.

-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in