• 1 Post By rjbruzan
  • 1 Post By TIPPEDITOVER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

Cold Cut Chop Saws

Did a search, didn't see anything mentioned about cold cut chop saws. I recently bought one and wanted to share my first impression of it.

The saw I bought is an entry level tool. I paid $280 for it, but I see they have already gone down in price since I bought mine. I just looked and I found them on Amazon for $223, with free shipping. The one I bought is an Evolution Rage 2. Comes with a 14" blade, which is a great deal, because the blade can cost $100 alone for these type of saws. Supposedly the carbide toothed cold cut blades last the equivalent of 20 abrasive discs. I don't know about that, but it's said they last a long time.

I'm used to using abrasive disc saws all my life till this point. I'll never go back to that since I had a chance to cut some material with a cold cut saw. My impression is WOW! Not only does it cut clean, it cuts fast and precise. There's no deflection of the blade at all. The cut edge had a mirror like finish to it. Plus there's no dust all over my shop. Mind blown.

Ok, now I just said there's no deflection of the blade. While that's true, the saw base, being an entry level saw, flex's a lot when you tighten up the material you're cutting in the clamp. The base is made of stamped steel and is not rigid enough. Did it effect the accuracy and straightness of my cut? No, it did not. Just something to know about the saw. The base is flimsy, and at first look leaves you wondering if you can make an accurate cut. You can.

I'm trying to think if there's really anything else worth mentioning about the saw other than the flimsy base. Not really. It's just a chop saw anyhow. It can do up to 45 degree cuts too. I tried one, worked great. Here's a video review I found below. They really beat on the saw hard and it takes the abuse. That video is what sold me on it. If it could live through all of that it would be perfect for me hahaha. The one guy at the end says he recommends an abrasive disc saw over the Rage 2 and I couldn't disagree more. Seems he forgot what an abrasive chop saw is like. This Rage 2 is a million times better than that, even with all it's entry level flaws.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2019, 07:37 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive had mine for at least 5 years and love it!!!!
Clean accurate cuts that are repeatable. Faster and cleaner than an abrasive blade any day. This tool helps make a novice a pro!

Ron
laybackman likes this.

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 4 Old 03-04-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Ive had mine for at least 5 years and love it!!!!
Clean accurate cuts that are repeatable. Faster and cleaner than an abrasive blade any day. This tool helps make a novice a pro!

Ron
Absolutely everything you said. I had a chance to use it a lot yesterday building my spare tire carrier. I would compare cutting steel 1/4" wall 2.5 x 2.5 square tube to cutting a wood 2 x 4 with my miter saw. That's no exaggeration. It cut that steel with great ease and almost no sparks. I couldn't believe it. And the cut had almost a polished mirror finish to it. I'm truly amazed. This tech has been out a long time, but I'm not in the know as I bet alot of folks aren't, just like me. It truly is cold cut, because I touched the cut edge with my finger right after the cut and it was ambient temp. The chips are blue though, so they get quite hot.
laybackman likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2019, 03:37 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have the Milwaukee version of this saw. I love it for mild steel, but I've had bad luck with stainless. When I did the 2.5" stainless exhaust on my rig, I picked up an evolution 14" stainless blade - that's the only version my local welding supply store sold. I was only able to make 4 or 5 cuts before the blade dulled and was then useless, at which time I pulled my abrasive saw back out. I did not realize that the Evolution was entry level. If I do more stainless work I may look for a different blade.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in