Anyone ever make a case spreader? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
mike481

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone ever make a case spreader?

In the next month or so I will be re-gearing and adding ARB's front and rear. I was just wondering if anyone had made their own case spreader? I have an idea on how I am going to make it but just wanting to see if anyone has experience that can keep me from making something that isn't going to work well. It's a pretty simple looking thing but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks

Mike

Chuck- A better dog than I could ever deserve

RIP 4-14-2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I don't think you will need it to do the gears. When I installed the Truetrac and Ox in my jeep I just wrapped a strap around the carrier and then hooked a slide hammer to it. It was able to pop the carrier out pretty easy. However, if you feel like being creative go for it. I've made plenty of little gadgets knowing that they might not be needed, but it was fun nonetheless. Post pics if you end up making one.

Black Jeep Society Member
post #3 of 10 Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 AM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I made this one last week using 1-1/2" X 1/8" wall sq. tube.

It has 3/4" all thread at about 14" apart and long hanger-nuts to provide extra thread surface for the tension.
Make sure to put some anti-seize on the threads as it is under allot of force and don't spread the case beyond the recommended amount.
Mine said not to go beyond .02".
I used short pieces of the all-thread protruding 1/2" as you want the sq. stock to be flush against the case.
This was not over-built, the threaded bars were starting to bow as the pressure increased.
Good luck with your project
The link to mine is below.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
mike481

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't made mine yet but I have everything I need except the bolts and pins. I found some grade 8 7/8"x4 bolts that I can cut the thread off and weld the remaining bolt to the back side of the spreader. Mine will look like the regular style spreader with a frame and a threaded bolt at the bottom to make it spread the case. I drew it up to work with any Dana up to a D60.

I'm waiting to see if I need it until I am ready to install everything with my regear/ARB install. If I do make it I will post up pics.

RIP 4-14-2012
post #5 of 10 Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I found that it made the ARB install go smoothly.
The arb uses the shims on the outside of the bearings so if you try and pound the whole thing in, there is no way to keep the master shims in place.
With the spreader I was able to set the carrier in place and slip the last shim down the side.

Jim

post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
mike481

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since I'm going to be removing the axles to do the ARB's I'll try it without the spreader first. If I have any issues what-so-ever I'll go ahead and make the spreader. Some guys have said to use a shim driver but if I need to use one I'll go with the spreader instead. It's going to be the fist of April before I get all my stuff so I have time to get prepared.

RIP 4-14-2012
post #7 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
SubAtomicGenius

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Doing this when I get home on my rear axle assembly, I'll be referencing your thread, Jim. I'm making a case spreader because ARB specfies that you MUST use one. Lots of nay-sayers out there that say you don't, however I'll be using one.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
JohndKc

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel05 View Post
Personally I don't think you will need it to do the gears. When I installed the Truetrac and Ox in my jeep I just wrapped a strap around the carrier and then hooked a slide hammer to it. It was able to pop the carrier out pretty easy. However, if you feel like being creative go for it. I've made plenty of little gadgets knowing that they might not be needed, but it was fun nonetheless. Post pics if you end up making one.
Its for setting carrier bearing preload. Never used mine to take out a carrier, just used it to set the recommended preload on both of the carrier bearings.

33rd BCT
Alpha 2/122 FA
68W
post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
dbhammer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank You

Thank you JLC08JK for the picture. I'm tearing into my Daughters 2004 TJ front end this weekend. Trying to take care of a hum / vibration. I'm pretty sure it's the unit bearings (wheel hubs) and have all the parts to replace these. While I'm in there I'm going to replace the axle u-joints and fix a leaking inner oil seal. To get to the oil seal I have to open up the diff and pull out the carrier. This will be my first time into a differential so I'm a little nervous. This forum has been a fantastic source of information and I'll plan on building a similar case spreader to make my life a little easier.

I'll let you know how it goes.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 AM
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

When I rebilt my front axle, I hooked up a come-along to the axle tube yokes, and ran the cable across the backside of the axle. I set up a dial indicator to make sure that I didn't overdo it. It didn't take but a few thousanths of spreading to get the case out. It worked great.

Rich

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in