Almost done - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Bigbob

Almost done New Pictures. Finally Done!

First coat of paint is on. Being one of these has never been made to my knowledge I had to re-do it a couple times to get what I wanted. Sort of!

It's a new tailgate hinge/tire carrier. 1" pins for the hinge and the tailgate bolts to it as opposed to the tire carrier hanging on the tailgate. The "swing" mounts to Rockmen short corners. I do think it is gonna work. I'll post more pics once it's finally complete. BTW The paint is Rustoleum Sunburst yellow which comes pretty close to the Jeep Solar Yellow. Not a perfect match, but at less than $10.00 a quart versus over $100.00 for auto paint I think it is great.

It is sitting 90 degrees off how it will be mounted. The drivers side Rockmen corner is in the background. The tire mounts to the right and the license plate mount is on the left. You can see the 2 bushings on the bottom along with the 4 tailgate "hinge" bolt holes and the 4 smaller holes that also support the tailgate via the old tire carrier bolt holes. The tapered end on top will hold a De-Tas-Co latch to go along with the stock tailgate latch/lock.Directly below the taper you can see the cut out/notch for the stock tailgate latch/lock. It will open both the swing and tailgate as a unit. An LED will mount in the center of the tire mount as a third brake light. It will also hold 2 back-up lamps on either side of the license plate.

I am jazzed if it will work. If not, scrap iron goes for about $60.00 a ton. LOL Bob

Here's another pic turned 90 degrees.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!

Last edited by Bigbob; 12-15-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's so yellow!

J/k Looks real good.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #3 of 39 Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Baotchi

2010 JK Wrangler 

Looking forward to see it completed

Black 2010 Sport JK
Black 2003 Sport TJ Gone!

post #4 of 39 Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
It's so yellow!
J/k Looks real good.
Agreed, I changed the color of the swing portion to black. The corners are still a slightly off shade Yellow from the factory color, but hell, it's a Jeep not a Lambo. I got it all installed tonight and I think it is going to work much better than I expected. All I have left to do is to build a "rest" for the drivers side of the swing and glue/install the rubber pieces on the stops so there is no metal to metal contact. Can't wait to post some pics. I am going to try and figure out how to do a short video of this thing. Really sweet working deal. All this damm work and figuring out stuff, re doing this and that, cussing and throwing stuff, sharping the pencil and starting over, well now I am seeing some fruit to my labor and it is a pretty nice looking Apple IMHO. 2-3 days more max. I am wondering if I need to Patent this deal? Any advice on this sort of thing? Bob

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #5 of 39 Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Bigbob

More doner now.

Well, I have almost got it done. I decided to change colors on the actual swing portion. Just too much yellow. Sorry for the lousy phone pics, but my digital is not working for some reason. I'll bring my office camera home and take some better shots.

Here is the rear view. The spare is now about 4-5 inches higher than stock.
LED third brake light. Led lights on the License plate as well. The large lights are new back up lamps. I need to wire them in.

This is the hinge side. 1" hard steel pins in bronze bushings. Grease able of course. These are mounted on to Rockmen short corners. Works very well. So far.

In addition to the stock tailgate latch and lock I installed a 2,000 lb DeStasCo just to take any strain off the stock latch pin. I will install a "rest" for the swing under the latch area so any wash board roads won't tweak anything. Getting at the factory lock and latch is still easy. The 2" rect tube is notched out where the tailgate latch lifts up.

Here it is opened. Tailgate and tire swing all in one. Instead of the tire mounting to the tailgate the tailgate mounts to the tire swing. Note the receiver hitch aimed upwards. I figure I can eventually mount a ice chest rack off of that.

So far this gizmo works much better than I ever anticipated. It swings a little heavier than stock, but it is heavier than stock. I am a really big man. 6'6" and 300 lbs. I sat on the tire and had the wife open and shut the sucker a couple times just for fun. This thing is built like a front end loader, but I really don't think it added much more weight than a lot of the bumper mounted tire swings add. Now for the test period.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
post #6 of 39 Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Baotchi

2010 JK Wrangler 

Man I so want one... That is what I need. I don't want to modify my bumper to add a swing carrier. I want just that.

Have any plans you could post or you want to keep your design for future commercial use?

that is just awesome.

Black 2010 Sport JK
Black 2003 Sport TJ Gone!
post #7 of 39 Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baotchi
Man I so want one... That is what I need. I don't want to modify my bumper to add a swing carrier. I want just that.

Have any plans you could post or you want to keep your design for future commercial use?

that is just awesome.
LOL I would love to go into business, but I still gotta go to work everyday. I am trying to get a patent, but that process is really a PITA and the patent would only be good for this exact deal. If someone else builds something similar that is not an infringement. I never did draw up any formal plan. I just built it. I will write a small description on how I did it soon. It is actually pretty darn simple. BTW Rockmen just lowered their prices on short corners for TJ's. the LJ units I got were blems. The metal was pitted somewhat, but it is a Jeep not a Lambo so I could care less. Stay tuned, I'll give a thumbnail sketch of the process.

BTW, please excuse my toilet paper in the trunk. I just noticed it! LOL At least I am always prepared.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
post #8 of 39 Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM
ezrider327
1997 ZJ 

Nice build, like the black better.

BTW your excused TP is standard equipment better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

If you are reading this, THANK a teacher. If you are reading this in ENGLISH, THANK a soldier!!! ESSAYONS
97 F350 Dually CC Powerstroke- - 65 Mustang - 74 Super Beetle - 93 Harley Sportster
97 ZJ 4.0 4x4 Auto : Rusty's BB lift & Rusty's K&N intake
235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
Flowmaster exhaust, custom winch bumper, Ramsey 9000lb, THULE MOAB roof rack
post #9 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Bigbob

New Pictures. Finally Done!

Here are some better pics of this project. I built a "rest" for the drivers side to sit on. You can see it here under the latch. I also wired the back up lights today and they work great.

Here is what it looks like with the spare off.

The frame is 2"X2"X3/16" rectangular tube. The corners are also 3/16" thick. I spaced the frame 1/16" off the corners and used 1/4" plate as spacers between the frame and the tailgate. Perfect alignment. I used the same tailgate attachment points as before. If you have ever had the tailgate off you will know that there is actually quite a bit of adjustment there.

This is the "rest" I built and installed today. It is steel with poly on it. The area of the frame next to the de-tas-co latch sits on this. I did not want all the weight of this to just hang it's stuff on one side of the Jeep. Even with those heavy duty corners the tub has a certain amount of flex to it. Now instead of bending down the rest will stop any flex there. The rubber washer is to prevent any steel to steel contact of the frame with the corner.

Here is a little more detail to the actual hinge. 1" pin, bronze bushings. Grease zerk and a 5/16" bolt to keep it from spinning in there. The pins have a 3/8" bolt on the bottom holding them in. You can kinda see the bolt in the pic. Also note the small piece of rubber I used as a cushion for the travel stop.

I used countersunk 3/8" bolts in place of the stock 5/16" bolts at the tub side hinge mount holes.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
post #10 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Now THAT is super nice!

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #11 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Now THAT is super nice!
Well, coming from you I take that as a great compliment. Thanks.

I hope to get out on some washboard roads and see if it develops any rattles. I plan on re-tightening all the corner bolts here in the next couple days. I did silicon all the edges in to help glue them in place a little so they don't shift and cause noise and also to seal moisture out which is not a big issue here. Sunbelt.

So far it is really nice. Much better than what I had planned on, but I am a pessimist!

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
post #12 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Ryanpowell167
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That is friggin nice. It looks really solid and by looking at the pictures it sounds like you wont have any problems with it. Nice work!

Black 1992 wrangler, 40" creepy crawlers, d60/14b 350tbi/700r4/np205, spring over on 4" springs.
2011 Ford F-150 Raptor, whipple supercharged...
post #13 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work!

Michael Ferrari
Team 120 - DOR Racing - Racing for Operation Homefront
Operation Homefront (OHF) provides emergency financial and other assistance to the families of our service members and wounded warriors.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
post #14 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Comanche_

Thats look awsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
post #15 of 39 Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Bigbob

Thanks all. The next one will be a lot easier to build.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in