• 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-27-2021, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Transfer case doubler or what else?

not much action in this forum but I'm going to spread this question around starting here.

After the first wheeling season after my ton and stretch I am very happy with it all and there are only a few things I need to do this off season to finish and a couple of upgrades.

One thing is gearing. the axles I bought came with 4:88 and really with the auto transmission it has worked pretty well but lower would be better. Having said that going from 488 to 513 or even 538 is really not much of a jump to justify the cost. So, options are to find a rubicon 4:1 tcase or do a doubler. I found a ton of threads about doublers but they are all old and seems like all the vendors are out of business or stopped making a kit. There are a couple left but I guess cutting a transfer case in half and welding it back together is just a bridge to far most guys. Still, I like the idea of a three speed case with 1:1, 2:72, and a final drive of 6+:1 depending on the rear case. If I go with 4:1 case I will certainly need to put a shift kit in the transmission so I don't have to move between obstacles in 1st,low or 1st, high

The one doubler I kit I found readily available is about $475 + the cost of a junkyard tcase, prob about $200

Chime in with any thoughts.

things to keep in mind:
I am a cheapskate. after selling my old axles and tires and rims I only have about $1000 into the swap total so far.
I do all my own fab
trailer queen

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-19-2021, 09:40 AM
DCGayhart

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a really nice 2006 TJ unlimited. It has a Dana 44 rear but Dana 30 up front. I've heard that the pre 1996 Ford F-series 4x4 front Dana 44 axles will work well in my LJ. I just have to find the right one.

My t-case is the NP231. Can I put a Rubi-crawler up front of it or just bite the bullet and purchase an Atlas? I'm going to run 37's but I don't thrash my equipment.

Danny

2001 Sahara, OME 4" lift and shocks, Dana 44/44 4.10 w/ARB's EBC brakes, NVG 241 OR, Wood's shafts, Currie Rock Jock, JKS four links, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1" MML, JKS Quick Disco, ShrockWorks rock sliders, Nth Tummy Tuck, Sagari-Gard rear bumper, Toys by Troy front, Warn 9.5, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's on 15x8's
post #3 of 6 Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGayhart View Post
I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a really nice 2006 TJ unlimited. It has a Dana 44 rear but Dana 30 up front. I've heard that the pre 1996 Ford F-series 4x4 front Dana 44 axles will work well in my LJ. I just have to find the right one.

My t-case is the NP231. Can I put a Rubi-crawler up front of it or just bite the bullet and purchase an Atlas? I'm going to run 37's but I don't thrash my equipment.

Danny
kind of leaning toward an eco box https://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-Eco...se_p_3969.html

Local guy might have one for sale, will know soon. I have the spare transfer cases to make it all work so will not end up as much money and the three speeds are attractive.

there is another kit that requires cutting a tcase in half and welding in an adapter plate but it's not much cheaper and seems like a lot of work

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2021, 04:57 PM
DCGayhart

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do they work better than a "Teralow"? I went through two of those before I found a 241. Guys want over $2000 now for a 241, might as well buy a Atlas!
PrincessJ likes this.

2001 Sahara, OME 4" lift and shocks, Dana 44/44 4.10 w/ARB's EBC brakes, NVG 241 OR, Wood's shafts, Currie Rock Jock, JKS four links, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1" MML, JKS Quick Disco, ShrockWorks rock sliders, Nth Tummy Tuck, Sagari-Gard rear bumper, Toys by Troy front, Warn 9.5, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's on 15x8's
post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2021, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Do they work better than a "Teralow"? I went through two of those before I found a 241. Guys want over $2000 now for a 241, might as well buy a Atlas!
teralow is no longer available
PrincessJ likes this.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2021, 10:32 AM
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:

dont forget the Stak monster box https://www.highangledriveline.com/stak_3speed.html

"Simple is Reliable"

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in