• 1 Post By mukluk
  • 1 Post By drewabril
  • 1 Post By mukluk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Electrical issue 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 has an electrical issue that I'm having trouble diagnosing and hoping for feedback (thank you!). Symptoms are:

-Turn key to ignition and engine won't start...starter doesn't engage. No electrical "click". Ignition system seems dead.
-Dashboard lights do light up. Check engine light is on (has been going on and off for some time) but won't flash codes when i turn ignition key 3x.
-Problem first noticed when I was driving and heard what sounded like an electrical "pop" around the firewall area (not sure if dash or engine side..no electrical short odor) and factory stereo and dashboard lights shut off. Engine kept running. Stopped at my destination and everything was completely dead when i tried to start. Tow truck tried to jump start unsuccessfully...dashboard lights did light, but starter wouldn't engage.
-Nothing works when key is turned to Accessory. Dashboard lights do light up when turned to Ignition
-New battery, fully charged
-I checked the fuses in the engine and glove box fuse boxes.
-Confirmed starter will crank by bypassing ignition switch with direct connect touch to battery
-Does this sound like a component, ie relay is out? Or, more challenging...is there a short in some circuit?
Thank you in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-29-2020, 04:16 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you connect a scanner to the OBD2 port, will the scanner communicate with the PCM?
When you turn the ignition to on/run and the gauge cluster powers up, does the odometer display normal mileage or are there any error messages?
Do the voltage and fuel level gauges display correctly?
Can you hear the fuel pump operate for a couple seconds when you first turn the ignition to on/run?
Have you looked for any chafing, burned/melted spots, or loose connectors on the wiring under the dash and in the engine compartment?
Brado90 likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 12 Old 06-30-2020, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. The odometer reads normal, no codes when key is switched to Ignition. I'll research the OBC2 access and start checking wires for obvious (hopefully) damage.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just confirmed the voltage and fuel gauges read correctly when I turn the key to Ignition. CD deck automatically cycles when battery is connected. Don't hear the fuel pump. All lights and accessories work, but they also all quit when I first noticed the problem while driving. Seems like its boiling down to a short on a key electrical circuit
post #5 of 12 Old 06-30-2020, 12:04 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Recheck fuse 12 in the fuse block and fuse 9 in the PDC (relay box under the hood), preferably with a test light or voltmeter to make sure power is getting through them. Fuse 12 must have power going through it with the ignition turned on, fuse 9 should have constant battery power available.
Brado90 likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2020, 01:34 PM
drewabril
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a helpful youtube video troubleshooting some similar symptoms- might point you in the right direction:
Brado90 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advise. I also have a OBDII scanner arriving today. However, my understanding is that the engine needs to be running to capture active codes? Is there any use for the scanner if the engine won't start, such as confirming the pcm is communicating or is not defective?
post #8 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great video, thanks...really illustrates the diagnostic process. My 2006 Wrangler is a 6-speed manual so I don't have that 4th plug on the PCM. Hopefully makes things a bit simpler
post #9 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 01:14 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The engine does not need to be running for the scanner to connect and work, you only need the ignition to be switched on. If the scanner won't communicate with the PCM then that may be due to the PCM not powering up like it's supposed to, which based on your description of other symptoms is the reason I advised checking your fused battery and switched power feeds to the PCM.
Brado90 likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 12 Old 07-05-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great suggestions, thanks. I confirmed with a circuit test light that the #9 fuse under the hood has power with the ignition key off, and #12 fuse in the fuse box under the dash has power when the key is turned on. Checked all the other fuses just for the heck of it and all are live. I pulled the ASD relay and confirmed power to the neg & pos pins. I rec'd my OBDII scanner today and confirmed communication with the PCM and no stored or pending codes. My VIN was displayed. Feels like getting closer and good the PCM is at least communicating and key connections are live. Still no starter though!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-13-2020, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Brado90
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for your recommendations. Thanks to the troubleshooting you recommended, I was able to assess with high confidence it was the ignition actuator pin or switch. Took it apart using another great video (
) and was happy to see the broken pin. Was able to replace both the actuator and switch and now have an operational Jeep!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-13-2020, 09:46 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it fixed, and appreciate the follow up information.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in