CJ7 5.7 Vortec PCM Help - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackSheepCJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
BlackSheepCJ

1973 CJ5 

CJ7 5.7 Vortec PCM Help

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of my first engine rebuild and chose a 1999 5.7l Vortec engine to drop into my 76 CJ7 and I'm getting a little lost with the PCM. I'll be ordering a new one from PCMpercormance, but I'm not sure what to keep and what to have him delete. So far, the features I've added to the delete list are: EGR, torque mgmt, torque converter, P0123, EVAP, Air Pump, skip shift, purge valve, VATS, and traction control. The Jeep is going to be a daily driver so I just want what is needed for the engine to run smoothly and efficiently. Is there a site that lists all the features available so I can research each one and see what's really needed? If not, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've attached some pics of the engine before and after for your viewing pleasure.
Not sure why the first pic is upside down, and I'm new to the forum so not sure how to replace it either. Sorry

Attached Thumbnails
20200617_213653.jpg   20200617_213628.jpg   20200619_204434.jpg   20200728_211111.jpg   20200728_220742.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 12:02 PM
cobra30689

Garage
Am I correct in assuming your 5.7 came from a 4L60E equipped truck, and that you are making your Jeep a manual?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
BlackSheepCJ

1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra30689 View Post
Am I correct in assuming your 5.7 came from a 4L60E equipped truck, and that you are making your Jeep a manual?
Yes. I'm installing a NV4500 so I'm having the PCM flashed for a manual 5-spd.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
BlackSheepCJ

1973 CJ5 

It actually came from a '99 Yukon SLE. Not sure if that changes the features at all or not.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 PM
cobra30689

Garage
OK cool. That's what I did with my 4.8. Snagged a VIN off CarGurus for a manual Silverado and flashed it using GM SPS. Deleting EVAP, VATS and whatnot with HPTuners. Unfortunately there really is no one stop reference point for *every* PCM parameter, short of reading the PCM with HPT (or EFILive).....OR.....and I want to stress the caution needed here, downloading the PCM with freeware like PCM Hammer, and reading the file with TunerPro (I did this before buying HPT, had to delete VATS on my Camaro in an emergency).

https://gsi.ext.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html is a good resource for all the various Mode 6 parameters and DTC codes available on a specific engine, what they do and how the tests are run. You pretty much have run down the whole list of things that need to be deleted to get the engine to RUN.....*maybe* you might want to delete the EGR if you don't need it (my engine is a 2001, used a 2002 manual OS that didn't use EGR so I was able to physically remove it all).
post #6 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
BlackSheepCJ

1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra30689 View Post
OK cool. That's what I did with my 4.8. Snagged a VIN off CarGurus for a manual Silverado and flashed it using GM SPS. Deleting EVAP, VATS and whatnot with HPTuners. Unfortunately there really is no one stop reference point for *every* PCM parameter, short of reading the PCM with HPT (or EFILive).....OR.....and I want to stress the caution needed here, downloading the PCM with freeware like PCM Hammer, and reading the file with TunerPro (I did this before buying HPT, had to delete VATS on my Camaro in an emergency).

https://gsi.ext.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html is a good resource for all the various Mode 6 parameters and DTC codes available on a specific engine, what they do and how the tests are run. You pretty much have run down the whole list of things that need to be deleted to get the engine to RUN.....*maybe* you might want to delete the EGR if you don't need it (my engine is a 2001, used a 2002 manual OS that didn't use EGR so I was able to physically remove it all).
Awesome. Thank you. I'll check out the link and see what I can find. As for the EGR, I had already ordered it when I started the rebuild, not realizing I could delete it, so today, I ordered a EGR delete kit from Route 66, which comes with the Intake manifold port plug, and the blanking plate for the front. I'll see if I can get a refund from Auto Zone. Otherwise, I'll post it for sale.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
BlackSheepCJ

1973 CJ5 

Thumbs up

https://gsi.ext.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html is a good resource for all the various Mode 6 parameters and DTC codes available on a specific engine, what they do and how the tests are run. You pretty much have run down the whole list of things that need to be deleted to get the engine to RUN.....*maybe* you might want to delete the EGR if you don't need it (my engine is a 2001, used a 2002 manual OS that didn't use EGR so I was able to physically remove it all).[/QUOTE]

That link is exactly what I needed. As long as I delete certain features, the corresponding codes won't pop up. I even saw some I didn't realize were a thing. I went through the entire list and finished the "Delete" list for my PCM programming. Thank you again.
cobra30689 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in