AX15 trans from YJ into XJ with NP231 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-01-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

AX15 trans from YJ into XJ with NP231

This question is about drilling the AX15 tailpiece to accomodate the clocking of the NP231 TC as relates to the XJ Cherokee.
I acquired a salvaged AX15 with a tailpiece clocked for YJ Wrangler with transfer case clocked straight-up level. I don't want to cut or pound my floorboard to fit. considering drilling the AX15 tailpiece (with jig) to clock the case down to 23 degrees as in the XJ Cherokee style. I prefer not to use clocking adapters for various reasons including the thinner adapter plate and studs ripping out out of threads as well as full oil seal engagement.

But I see to properly restore XJ clocking of TC, the new holes would be in the web area of the tailpiece, not on thickest flange of tailpiece where existing holes are. I have no access to AX15 XJ tailpiece here but did post something in JF classifieds looking for one. To drill less than the XJ mounting needed would mean trouble hooking up the speedo cable and TC linkage.

Anyone ever done the reclocking of AX15 from YJ to XJ and the result? My chief concern is the stresses on the thinner web are of the tailpiece although this is more of a commuter rig than an off-road masher. Even so, it concerns me

Thoughts?

Attached Images

Last edited by michla; 10-01-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: include photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2019, 11:54 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wouldn't you be better off exchanging tailpieces? Pretty sure you'll have some disassembly before trying to drill, and that would be exactly(?) the same disassembly for a newer (or used) tail end.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
Wouldn't you be better off exchanging tailpieces? Pretty sure you'll have some disassembly before trying to drill, and that would be exactly(?) the same disassembly for a newer (or used) tail end.
Right you are!
I did post a WTB in Jeepforum classifieds at the same time i posted this, but considering my chances of finding someone willing to part with just such a piece or even still "having it on the shelf" are pretty remote, so I'm researching all my options besides a clocking-plate adapter (which I dont' care much for safety reasons)

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Answered my own question when I found this:
https://www.nextventuremotorsports.c...-clocking-jig/
They are telling me this jig is intended to guide the holes for the 23 degree drop of the TC on an AX15 trans tailpiece STILL WITHIN the casting bosses. Further reading on this forum reveals the casting bosses for the TC mount are oblong for this purpose--the factory simply drilled them in either end of the boss for the model of Jeep!
Apparently not as much TC rotation needed as I suspected when I mentioned "having to drill in the webbing area". Sounds like the best plan so I'm going with that, ordered mine today.
After I'm done with drilling my new holes, this jig could be for resale if anyone is interested (retails for $30 new plus shipping).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in