Who's smoking their Turkey / Ham this year? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kachink

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
Who's smoking their Turkey / Ham this year?

So every year for the last 10 years or so I've smoked the bird for our Turkey Day feast. I've pretty much got it down to a science now, and most years it turns out just fantastic! (I say most years, as I've been known to have a drink or seven too many early on and let it go a little longer than it should. lol)

Well, this year we're having a few more people over than most years, so I'm adding a ham to the mix as well. It's a local, but pre-cooked smoked ham already, so you basically just need to heat it up nice and slow. I thought since the smoker would be going already that I might as well take use of the coals and drop the ham on there as well.

I was just curious, anybody do theirs this way? Any tips or tricks to keeping it nice and moist?

I thought I had a copy of my gravy recipe I make from the smoked turkey drippings in my google drive, but appernetly I don't... but I'll post it up when I get home this evening. I **** you not, it's hands down the best darn gravy you've ever had! My family calls it "turkey reduction"... it's truly out of this world!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
Orange Turkey Brine

Ingredients:
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (fresh works too)
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (fresh works too)
  • 3 oranges, sliced
  • 2 lemons, sliced
  • 2 limes, sliced
  • 3 or 4 yellow onions (quartered)
  • 2 tablespoons dried thyme (fresh if you can get it in your area)
  • 2 tablespoons dried rosemary (fresh if you can get it in your area)
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 3 heads garlic (crushed - I don't even bother to make sure the peel is off, this is just brine, you don't eat it)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups kosher salt
  • 1 gallon water
  • 1 gallon chicken broth or stock

Combine the orange juice concentrate, orange slices, lemon slices, lime slices, thyme, rosemary, pepper, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and water in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Wash and dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure that the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator.

-------------------------------------

There's quite a bit of back-and-forth online about how long to let a bird brine... some say less is more, some say the longer the better.

I used to be of the thought process of the latter and would do upwards of 2 days, but the last few years (mainly because of procrastination) I've done far less time. Recently, I've been doing basically just overnight and the results are just as good, if not better.

I usually use a big rubbermaid tote to put the bird and brine in. I also stuff the cavity of the bird with some of the onions, garlic, herbs, and citrus fruit.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
Placeholder for gravy recipe...

post #4 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 11:37 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage

Our families are taking care of the cooking but since the boys and I will be home Friday, I'm going to throw a 12lb turkey on the smoker "just 'cause". Last year, the turkey took much longer than I expected, though I didn't pay much attention to it. I'm going to watch it closer this year in hopes to really get it to turn out well.

I found this brine on the interwebs. I'm going to cook it up tonight and put it in the fridge so it's ready for the turkey tomorrow morning.

• 2 gallons water (or enough to cover turkey completely)
• 1 cup kosher salt
• Ό cup worcestershire sauce
• ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
• 1 onion, peeled and halved
• 3 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
Hey @ChrisHager , I kinda thought you'd be smokin a bird too this year! Nice!

I just updated my brine post above, give it a look see, it's worked out really well for us and the citrus / fresh herbs really give it a nice pop.

I also take some of the fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage) chopped up really fine, some minced garlic, and some cracked pepper and melt it down in about a pound of butter. Let that cool and set back up (but still soft), then pack that between the skin and the breast meat (you kinda have to work your hand in there real good to get the skin to seperate). It helps keep that white meat basted through the smoking process without having to constantly open the smoker... makes for some super moist turkey boobs!!

Also, if I could give one tip... the killer tip to end all smoked turkey tips, IMHO... About 20 to 30 minutes before you put the bird on the smoker, while it's sitting out coming to room temp, put a big gallon sized ziplock bag full of ice over the breasts to keep them nice and cold! This slows down the cooking process on them compared to the rest of the bird, and cooking slower means they don't dry out.... mmmmmm moist breasts!

I feel like I've said breasts A LOT in this post....... BREASTS!!

Happy smoking!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 PM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Awesome! Good tips!

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-22-2018, 09:07 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
when I do ham I like to slice it about a half inch thick and grill it with some spiced up mollases brushed on. just a little cayenne pepper stirred in and maybe a little bourbon to thin it out. It only needs to be heated up and I could never see the point in heating the entire ham then only using a small part of it.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #8 of 11 Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM
kachink
1998 ZJ 

We had a crowd coming, so my wife did a 10 pounder in the oven and I did a 12 pounder in the smoker. I was too busy/lazy to brine it, just did a rub. It hit 180* as we were working on the sides and the coals were burning down anyway, so I left it a while longer. Took it out at 185* and let it rest about 1/2 hour. It turned out great - juicy breast meat, meat didn't fall off the legs & thighs but came off cleanly with just a tug. Nice smoke flavor without that ashtray taste. It was a hit.
tebeve likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Easy_B

This thread is useless without pictures.
This is from an oilless fryer that I use a smoker box in for some flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2018, 11:51 PM
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_B View Post
This thread is useless without pictures.
This is from an oilless fryer that I use a smoker box in for some flavor.
Yeah, I was wishing that I had taken pics when I saw this thread, but this section has been like a ghost town since Hash left, so I thought I would post up anyway. Yours looks pretty tasty...
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
I didn't get a good one off the smoker (was too busy carving), and totally forgot to take one of the ham completely (D'OH!)... but here is one anyway.

Also, thanks for posting to this thread... I totally forgot to fill in the gravy post... you guys are gonna love it!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181122_134548.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in