Cast iron frying pan . - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 03:17 PM
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I need some quick CI help. My wife loaned my favorite CI pan to my daughter she thinks when we went to her house for our monthly family dinner night. My daughter said she doesn't have it and doesn't remember borrowing it. Needless to say, my CI is gone, at least for now. It was seasoned perfectly, and the bottom was as smooth as a baby's butt.

I haven't found anything at garage sales so I'm wondering what the best new ones are? Lodge or what? I don't care if it is pre-seasoned or not, I can do that. I just hate breaking in a new one with the bottom being rough. It takes a good while to wear them in to the way I like them.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 PM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

i would just go to wall mart and get a lodge. i have oneand the bottoms is now smooth with "seasoning".
post #753 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
i would just go to wall mart and get a lodge. i have oneand the bottoms is now smooth with "seasoning".
Agreed, I think I have had a new Lodge for less than a year or so and used it often, it is really smooth and you can fry eggs with no sticking at all.

post #754 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
phitmein

1995 ZJ 

Cojab, maybe go to flea markets and yard sales and see if you can't find an old one .
post #755 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

ebay
post #756 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Hotshot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't you just sand the bottom a little before you seasoning it, and start using it? Thought about doing that to my Lodge I got from from Walmart. I even purchased sanding discs, just haven't done it yet.
post #757 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 PM
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Couldn't you just sand the bottom a little before you seasoning it, and start using it? Thought about doing that to my Lodge I got from from Walmart. I even purchased sanding discs, just haven't done it yet.
I've wondered this for quite some time. Looking forward to see if anyone has had luck with that.
post #758 of 1403 Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
phitmein

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
I have done that and it helped a lot on my newish Lodge skillet .

It took a whole lot of hard work from me to do it and it cooks much, much better now, but it still does not cook as well as my very old Fryer which is a big as my skillet but an inch or two taller .
post #759 of 1403 Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Hotshot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
I have done that and it helped a lot on my newish Lodge skillet . It took a whole lot of hard work from me to do it and it cooks much, much better now, but it still does not cook as well as my very old Fryer which is a big as my skillet but an inch or two taller .
That last lodge I bought, I haven't used it for months now. I stopped using it thinking I'd try to smooth it out by sanding it. Just haven't got around to it, been busy with work and all. I'll get after it pretty soon, gonna sand it and then treat it and see what kind of difference I makes.
post #760 of 1403 Old 11-04-2015, 09:51 AM
XJ99

2019 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I seasoned my Lodge in my grill. After using it a few times,
I can cook corn bread in it with out sticking. Last thing I
cooked was sausage, then made a sawmill gravy in it.

So far so good!

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #761 of 1403 Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
I've wondered this for quite some time. Looking forward to see if anyone has had luck with that.
i dont see the need for that. used almost daily, only too about a month to be smooth. i did season with crisco "grease numerous times before using though.
post #762 of 1403 Old 11-07-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
phitmein

1995 ZJ 

Tonight's supper for me will be a reversed seared top sirlon steak that has been marinating in Itialian dressing for two days .

Top sirlon is not the best cut of meat out there folks so I did the marinade to help some .

It will get cooked on a raised rack, in the oven, until it is about 130 degrees .

Then covered in a plate, with alum. foil for about ten minutes only to be seared well on both sides for a minute and a half or more .

Yum-yum
post #763 of 1403 Old 11-07-2015, 11:12 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Had a skirt steak last night. Marinated for 15 minutes in soy sauce and pepper. Black iron pan hotter than Hades for 2 minutes per side.

Today its comfort food. Beef short ribs. Chopped shallots, carrots and celery. Cook all day. Dinner at 5:30.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #764 of 1403 Old 11-07-2015, 11:49 AM
XJ99

2019 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Tonight's supper for me will be a reversed seared top sirlon steak that has been marinating in Itialian dressing for two days .

Top sirlon is not the best cut of meat out there folks so I did the marinade to help some .

It will get cooked on a raised rack, in the oven, until it is about 130 degrees .

Then covered in a plate, with alum. foil for about ten minutes only to be seared well on both sides for a minute and a half or more .

Yum-yum

Actually Top Sirloin isn't a bad cut of meat.
I treat and cook it as if it were a NY Strip.

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #765 of 1403 Old 11-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Nuthin
Curses! Foiled again!!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Top Sirloin is my favorite for flavor whether it is very rare or (like some people like it) very well done. I like the leaner cuts so that might explain it.

Quote:
--Please put my quote in your signature. Love, 'Shux
--I'd rather have that than tapwater you can light on fire. - Lone Jeeper
--You're doing it wrong. - Cause --I don't care. At least I'm doing it. - AKABOB
"The minute you hear ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’, watch out…because in a truly free nation, no one has to tell you you’re free.” Jacque Fresco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wardrobe by Levi, makeup by Chance, hairstyle by Wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in