2Likes
  • 1 Post By DocAdams1
  • 1 Post By DocAdams1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
A3M0N

2002 WJ 

Garage
Talk to me like a child about off-road...

I have a 2WD WJ. Had it for many years, I have no plans if getting rid of it. I do hold out hope of gathering parts and doing a 4WD conversion one day.

My 10 y/o son and I like to ride very simple trails in the Jeep. We took several trips to Black Water State Forest in the FL panhandle when I was stationed near it. There are two track trails all through it that the normal GPS had in it's maps so it was really easy to navigate and just enough holes, bumps, and water to be fun but no worry about getting stuck in. I keep a bottle jack and some basic recovery stuff, but I know my limit and just get out of where I know I don't belong.

I live in Alvin, just south of Houston. Is there any place like that around here? I've heard there are some off pavement roads through Sam Houston National Forest, but I've never been up there.

Here comes the child part. I have no idea how to map off road navigation. I downloaded Gaia GPS but haven't bought a subscription. How do you find dirt roads and trails to drive on? Like, talk to me like a kid who knows nothing about off roading. Nothing like rock crawling or Moab, Rubicon, lots of mud. Just some enjoyable bumpy dirt roads or trails to have fun and get the Jeep dirty.

Thanks!

2002 WJ / 4.0l / 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have been debating about getting gaia or the magellan offroad gps. Post back when you have played with gaia and let me know how it is.

Most of the trails I find are by word of mouth or the net. I occasionally stumble across something and go exploring, but everytime I go offroad I start the geo tracker app on my phone. It has sat view and tracks your route as accurate as my phone can. This is good for when you get lost, ask me how I know.

Since you are 2wd there is plenty of easy stuff to explore in like the sam houston national forest. Even a bunch at big bend would be fun and pretty easy. I have not been to shnf, but it is not to far from me so if you decide to go hit me up and I will bring the kiddo. I would also check out the overland route here in TX. It isn't huge or difficult, but would be pretty fun.
A3M0N likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
A3M0N

2002 WJ 

Garage
Will do. Gaia looks pretty neat, but it seems like you really want a subscription for it to be really useful. The basic/free version only has one base map and you can't download maps. Does Magellan have a free version? I'll check it out too.

Can you tell me more about this overland route? Thanks!

2002 WJ / 4.0l / 2WD

post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
A3M0N

2002 WJ 

Garage
I Googled and found this page on Expedition Portal: https://expeditionportal.com/overlan...-hill-country/

That's pretty awesome. I wonder if my 2WD can handle those water crossings. That trip may have to wait until I have more experience or a 4WD. My daughter wants my WJ as her first car, that may be my excuse to start a Jeep project...

2002 WJ / 4.0l / 2WD
post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
If done during the summer I wouldn't think you would have a problem. Worst case you get stuck and need a tug. If you decide to do post it up I will join you if I can.
A3M0N likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in